GravelCrew GCRad1 - My KTM950ADV story + upgrades

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by GCRad1, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Yea, but you only ride your nine-five-o on pavement and at turtle like speeds :lol3 .
  2. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pete, first of all, thanks for giving my report a look!!!
    A#1 - Obviously that was my problem, not enough "juice" to assist in the bump start. As I stated, I left the key "on" at work, so meaning for the day... sucked that battery down like a 7-11 Big Gulp! No juice! And me being the dirt bike guy thought I would just bump it down the little hill in front of our work... I agree, had the battery had the juice it might start, but knowing that my battery had no juice and yet the bump start was not enough to get it to start will make me more cautions when out riding in the mountains.

You stated the Bleeder valves will cause me problems at some point. OK, I will take your "fair warning" and while my suspension is at Precision Concepts will ask their opinion as well. But at the same time, we are all here to document what we have done and exchange ideas and lets just see if these are individual problems or running manufacture issues. I will report back what the guys at Precision Concepts say as well.

Why haven't I tried Rally Raids yet?
    Well, to be honest, I have waited to the last minute each time I have needed a new tire and the place I get my tires from sell the Perelli's cheap. I know the Dunlop & Michelin tires should be better and I will be trying both at some point. At the same time, I will have a full round on all the tires available and will be able to have an opinion of each. It's all part of the process. I should start ordering one soon as I am starting to build the bike back up!

Just picked up the Titainum Ceramic coated headers from Big Gun / Young Gun Performance Coatings yesterday!
  3. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since the bike came with the grey factory bags, I added the grey top box too.
    [​IMG]
    The helmet will fit in, only when placed on it's side. Was kind of hoping the helmet would fit in as if you where putting it on a shelf. Sitting on the bottom would have allowed for some roon on the side to place other items, but the box overall is not tall enough to do so.
  4. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So while the exhaust pipes where not fitting, did the battery replacement and got the top box, that would be about the only accomplishment I could make in regards to upgrade-additions:
    [​IMG]

Hey Lexi, will you read these instructions for me?
    [​IMG]

The English ones?
    [​IMG]

I think those are the only ones you can read...
    [​IMG]

I also got the "backrest" portion that goes with the top box and you have to drill holes to mount it to the box. They supply a pattern so I tapped it to the box and scored the hole locations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mounting is simple and you will have the top box on in a jiffy. For you big city commuters, you already know most will run just the top box
    [​IMG]

and for your big adventurers, you'll run all the boxes:
    [​IMG]

Bottom view of the top box and it's mounting system:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK, While I have not used this box in any major weight capacity - tour use, just by applying presure down into the box, I do see flex in the floor of the box. Either, don't put too much weight and do serious offroad riding or yea, well yea, just that - I would not recommend too much weight. If your doing the full tarmac, groomed dirt road deal, should not be too much of a problem.

Vader99 - I edited/updated these images for you:
    [​IMG]
    Wow. Just noticed my camera is chopping every third image on SD card. Anyhow, the wife loves having the box/backrest as she said it makes her she's not the last on the wagon...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    So that's what 90+ bhp will do to a knobby. :eek1

Guess I'd better invest in a No-Mar tire changer.
  6. vador99

vador99 Canadian adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you take a pic or two of the backrest.
    My wife show some interest for it.

merci
  7. vador99

Oddometer:
    And do you have backrest part number.

merci
  8. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    Hey Vador, I see the Death Star got its Internet connection working again.

Part Number for the Backrest is: 60012027452

Of course, the Dinosaurs used to make the plastic in KTM's luggage haven't died yet. If you order one, unless your dealer has one in stock, expect some wait. :D
  9. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will take some photos soon! While the backrest looks a bit odd, my wife's first test run with it went well, but I feel like I could remove the stock pad-bar and glue on some tripple-thick neoprene and be better off as it will not stick out as far. To the eye, the stock back-rest looks as though it sits out too far... i'll get the photos and that will visually show what I am talking about.
  10. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Finally going forward on my projects here with the 950ADV! Headers are OFF!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While reading MotoCross Action magazine, I read a story about a bike built by Big Gun Exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    Mike Young is the owner and while making his exhaust company and trick bikes, he also started doing performance coatings - Young Gun Performance Coatings.
    [​IMG]
    I thought it would be cool to do my headers in a black ceramic, gain some performance and some looks as a secondary bonus, but while talking to Mike Young, yea, he answered the phone when I called... and I basically asked him why his ceramics vs the others. He basically said that they go the extra length and detail of media blasting the headers both inside and outside. The ceramic coating is also done both inside and outside! I was sold right there! But Mike went on to tell me he does a titainum ceramic coating on certain pro's bikes as the titainum has a higher heat rating. basically it has already been proven that you can make Horsepower gains with ceramic coating headers in conbustion engines.
    I asked if I could get the nickle tour if I drove out to pick up my pipes after they finished them.
    [​IMG]
    Shop side that makes the exhust pipes.
    [​IMG]
    Too bad they don't make "Big Gun's" for the 950ADV!!! They have some nice stuff for the thumper crowd!

Raw tubes ready for ceramic processing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the first step of blasting the tubes for ceramic coating - the pipes have this flat look to them. This helps the ceramic process stick.

This is the standard "shiny" ceramic coating that you see the most:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is this black ceramic coating.

[​IMG]
    My Titainum ceramic coated 950ADV header tubes!

[​IMG]
    I had these pieces coated also as these hold the headers at the rear footpegs. I thought this would help cut heat transfer from the rear footpeg/header tube stays.

There is more to this story as I also met an interesting person:
    [​IMG]
    Anybody know who this guy is?

More coming soon'er'ish...
  11. vador99

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is Richard Nelson, (Adelanto, Ca.)
    [​IMG]

You can read about him as he was apart of Team Technical Offroad and the Aprilia RXV 450 that made the debut at the 2007 Baja 500.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.apriliausa.com/njb_dettaglio.asp?id=387

You just may never know who you are talking too!!! Super-cool!!! Your are talking ceramics and then you are talking Baja!!!!
  13. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. forsyth793

forsyth793 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks great! What do these Guys charge to do this.
  15. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SO Everyone knows that Eibach makes springs:
    [​IMG]
    But what most do not know how extensive - F1 to WRC to MotoGP and even NASCAR and all automotive and motorcycle bits in between.

In the showroom at the USA Headquarters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some nice example of some four wheel tarmac set-ups.
    they also have some two wheel dirt examples.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a couple of buddies that work at Eibach and one of which I have known for like 15 years. Both ride bikes! So I asked my guys about who to go to for setting up / service rebuilding my KTM 950ADV suspension. At first I was just going to do the front suspension, but they recomended doing both at the same time. As Eibach basically supplies all the top suspension tuners on the planet - they know the who's who of suspension tuning. While they where going to set me up with another place, a few phone calls and they sent me to see Precision Concepts!!! OH-MY!!! The Baja legends!!!
  17. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I land on the front door to Precision Concepts head office as they have two locations, one in El Cajon and the HQ in Temecula/ Murrieta. HQ will be moving in September to Riverside.
    Contact info: http://www.precisionconcepts.net/index.php?action=retail-locations

OK, these guys build the suspensions for the likes of Robby Bell, Johnny Campbell, Chris Blais and Mike Childress. And many more!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Get the picture? OK, i will post soon the actual build process as I got to see first hand the whole process - bunch of photos!
  18. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guts of the WP suspension from the KTM950ADV.
    [​IMG]

These hands are the hands you wish for!
    [​IMG]
    These hands belong to these tattooed arms..
    [​IMG]

But the image already forming in your head is already far off from what you actually get from the person in this ink incrusted skin...

[​IMG]
    These hands belong to Curt Mayer, no relation to music's John Mayer, but his relation to Precision Concepts came about a year ago as he was the mechanic for Mike Metzgerhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Metzger. Yes, the Godfather of MX Freestyle and NO, no relation to the Metal Mulisha. Anyhow, Curt was intrigued with suspension and rightfully so as this is the MX Freestyle game - suspension. Mike had his work done with Precision Concepts owner and master suspension builder, Bob Bellhttp://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3123 and obviously for obvious reasons introductions where made and Curt is now working full time with Bob as his master Jedi suspension apprentice. Bob can now concentrate on the business at hand, as Precision Concepts is actually more than just a "master" suspension tuner facility.

more tech to come soon!
  19. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    It's all about the clean work space for Curt! And organzied. It's a starting ritual for him every time he works and I am not mad at him one bit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Curt said the KTM / WP suspension is rather unique in areas. Will show later.

Sorry, off to Bakersfield for the JBRL.com RC Nitro Races this weekend and next week the family and I are off to Kern River before school starts. Taking the ol'trustly XR400!!!
  20. onebaduce

onebaduce .

Oddometer:
    :lurk