GravelCrew GCRad1 - My KTM950ADV story + upgrades

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by GCRad1, Jul 11, 2007.

1. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you get the 5lb bag - I'm leaving today and will be back around the 12th. sorry.

Going to do some of this:
    [​IMG]

And then some of this:
    [​IMG]

And then I will get to come back and do some more of this:
    [​IMG]

More to come!!!:evil
  2. TG-DRZ

TG-DRZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quit nursing that thing already, turn some flipin’ wrenches and let go run over some more brosifs!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    “On Any Wednesday” bitches!<o:p></o:p>
  3. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey TGDRZ - I got the message as I was rolling over the hill on the 241 - in the van....
    Eerrrr.... Gruff gruff.

See the flickr - I was slinggin' a bit last night!

ON ANY WENSDAY!

From the crackberry!!!
  4. TG-DRZ

TG-DRZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trade that rusty trombone in for some Tool Time. :wink:

[​IMG]
  5. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TGDRZ!!!! You crack me up with your humor!!!!! I will tell Anthony to get it out of the closet and I will fire up some Revelry for you on our next outting..
  6. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well... seems I have internet connection in Bakersfield,
    so I can keep posting:
    [​IMG]
    Basically Curt is showing what he will be grinding off, in order to do a complete dis-assembly of the suspension.

[​IMG]
    High tech art by hand on low tech machinery tells you right off, that while most could mechanically do these procedures - it's the black art of knowing what is going on in a mesuarble perspective and how to manipulate what is happening by mesurable means. Same as the black art of making horsepower - art of engine building.

[​IMG]
    OK, the topside is finished and ready to be dis-assembled.

[​IMG]
    Grinding the bottom portion...

[​IMG]
    The result of grinding, shaping and polishing. Curt said this helps the flow of oil as this lower portion moves up and down through the tube - helps prevent foaming. He also said that guys like Johnny Campbell can totally tell the difference when riding and Campbell can totally feel various changes in shapes here and other areas not allowed to discuss. Hey, race teams have "the difference" but this is stuff that I would not feel or notice. It was at this point that I realized that the Baja events are not won on pure power. Especially as the 450's have crept into the winners circle. Yes those bikes are hot rods, but suspension is the real key. The ultimate key is to just have a solid motor and ultra-dialed suspension that can withstand the continious pounding and heat buildup. Suspension tuning is as in-depth as motor tuning with just as many variables!

[​IMG]
    OK, praying out the grinding dust and note the importance to not spray your left index finger. For indexing!!!

[​IMG]
    OK, this is the part where Curt said he likes his moment of silence as he goes through each and every spacer, washer, nut, tube and anything else that needs accounting, measuring and master minding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So much to choose from!

[​IMG]
    So much math…

[​IMG]
    What happen to, “I want the pink one, I want green one”??? hehehehe

[​IMG]
    Everything has to be just so, so – so perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Check, check and double check!!! This is the halfway point as Curt is about to start the assembly process including new bits.

[​IMG]
    Curt does some final cleaning before assembly.

[​IMG]
    And the washer stacking competition begins. Clock is set at zero-hundred hours - GO!

STOP!
    [​IMG]
    Top valving units are finished.

Bottom units:
    [​IMG]
    Curt stated that these are part of what makes the WP/KTM shocks so different. In all the other shocks, these are round, but he noted that with the three long edges it makes it stiffer and with the cut-outs it allows them to flow more fluid. Not that this is better than the others - just good ol'Austrian different.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The tri-round plates removed to get to the rest of the pack of plates.

[​IMG]
    Curt looked at me and said, "you actually do ride this thing!" Signs of wear.
    At this point we start discussing service and maintinace. Basically the Johnny Campbell and crew have their suspension systems torn down, instpected and re-build for every race! Curt said there is nothing like fresh suspension! More serivce suggestions soon.

[​IMG]
    Daaaang! Look at those tattoo's!!!

[​IMG]
    Plug Plug Plug Plug Plug Plug!!! My buddies!!!

[​IMG]
    Stock on the Left - Eibach on the Right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Time to stack up some spacers and fill the gap.

[​IMG]
    Curt puts the technical eye ball on them.

[​IMG]
    It all adds up...

[​IMG]
    While the springs are getting the hand polish job from Curt's co-worker, check out these bling bling cuff links!!!

[​IMG]
    Installing the "gold cuff links" just wrapped the top portion as there are two very tiny bearings that hold the stock black adjusters in place. You are going to want to keep these and use when installing the "gold cuff links".

[​IMG]
    Now you can push out the stock adjuster and the two little bearings without loosing them instantly.

[​IMG]
    Oh-Yea! There is a little spring in there too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lube it up and slide in the spring and place the bearings on both sides.

[​IMG]
    Pay close attention and notice how Curt uses his index fingers to help push in the bearings as they are spring loaded.

[​IMG]
    Carefully poke the toothpick! Ok, who can tell me where that quote came from... if you are old enough, or maybe in the average age case of this site, maybe young enough and think Saturday morning and think about home made ice cube pop sicles...

[​IMG]
    No more little plastic knobs - these are tech, knurled and blig blig to boot!

[​IMG]
    don't forget the push-pin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Curt took it back out so I could show you what it looks like assembled when it's inside the housing.

[​IMG]
    It's the combination of parts that allows you to adjust your shocks - on top.

[​IMG]
    It runs the lenght of the shock.

[​IMG]
    Re-assebled and "clicked" adjusted all the way in will have the pin out this far.
    This is full-hard setting / slower rebound. 18-clicks in clockwise.

[​IMG]
    Clicked all the way out and it is all the way inside.
    This is full-soft setting / faster rebound. 18-clicks out counter-clockwise.

OK, back to the Eibach Springs:
    [​IMG]
    Polished Eibach springs on the left - stock WP springs on the right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not even going to say it, you won't believe me anyhow... Just know that all the pro's have'em polished - Johnny demands it his way!

OK, this is all I can do tonight...
    [​IMG]

More to come soon...
  7. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Next phase is the suspension tube inspection / shock seal replacement and addition of fluids. John "Boy" Snyder is the Precision Concepts Suspension Service Tech as he assist Curt with the completion of the full service processes of both front and rear shocks disassembly / rebuilds.

[​IMG]
    20/20 laser technical detailed inspection.

[​IMG]
    The one minor detail that Precision Concepts team has noticed is that the factory KTM fork seals seem to dry out faster than others. Their "other" favorite is the Yamaha-Kayaba seal. For the KTM950ADV fork, use the Yamaha 5XE-23 45-LO seal.
    The Yamaha fork seal is pictured on the left and the KTM fork seal on the right.

[​IMG]
    If you are simply replacing fork seals, make sure you lube the seals with grease as these slide on the valuable fork tubes. Precision Concepts uses Maxima Waterproof Grease.

[​IMG]
    John is placing seals in place and getting ready for his daily workout.

[​IMG]
    Having all the right tools makes everything much easier...

[​IMG]
    But I was a little shocked, no pun intended, as John started to "hammer" on the forks with these special tools to set the seals.

[​IMG]
    Everything is going back together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Prepped for the oil filling station.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Working out all the little bubbles.

[​IMG]
    Sorry this image is blurred, but what John is holding in his left hand is a device to measure how much fluid to remove - ruler in the right hand. The factory specifies where the level of fluid should be and this device removes fluid.

[​IMG]
    Works like a bicycle pump, but pulling out fluid instead of pushing in air. We don't want any air here!

[​IMG]
    Dive battle ship! Submerging the inner workings of the shock.

So with the front forks finished, rear shock is next!
  8. kenscott

kenscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk :lurk
  9. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes, keep it comin', we want to hear more! :1drink
  10. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    tremendously enjoyable, thanks a lot!:clap
  11. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry gang, the Family vacation before the kids went back to school and then the biz trip to Moab an then back from all that to do another event and this past week at work has been the try to catch up with all the other items...
    but you can't complain when it's like this in Kernville:
    [​IMG]
    Featured rider - step-son Anthony

And like this in Moab:
    [​IMG]

OK, so I will pick up where I left off and get back to posting AND one day do the ride reports for Kernville and MOAB!!!
  12. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, on with it! The rear shock!
    The guys at Precision Concepts recommended revalving the rear suspension at the same time as front suspension as changes would to be made as both ends of the suspension need to work together in unison.

[​IMG]
    A quick disassembly and fluids dumps and the rear suspension is ready for reworking.

[​IMG]
    Curt mounts the shaft in the vice and begins the disassembly of critical components.

[​IMG]
    While Curt is doing his thing, John Boy is doing the final check of the front shocks, cycling them, making sure everything is perfect - the Precision Concepts way.

[​IMG]
    Curt has the rear apart and starts the inspection process.

[​IMG]
    Each and every component is inspected and evaluated.

[​IMG]
    The paperwork has all the components listed and items to be changed, based on the original questions of rider style, weight and such. Bob the owner, prepared the parameters with options based on the possible range of needs and his prior workings with the KTM offroad teams. He has done 950's before so obviously, those team guys must have some 950's in the closet.

[​IMG]
    Another KTM uniqueness, the twin valve heads.

[​IMG]
    Curt has done the quick assembly and the parts are ready for John Boy to do the rest.

[​IMG]
    John Boy starts the disassembly of the reservoir dawg.

[​IMG]
    Fresh fluids replace the stock mush-poo.

[​IMG]
    Filler'up please! Ready for the plunger!
  13. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    John Boy droppin in the plunger.

[​IMG]
    It's a slow process as John Boy does not want any air bubbles, the least amount as possible. He stated that the KTM rear shock design is the hardest of rear suspensions to bleed all the air out of.

[​IMG]
    John Boy in for yet another arm pump workout. he has to cycle the suspension to remove the air bubbles.

[​IMG]
    More cycling of the suspension.

[​IMG]
    A little NOS hit so it will go faster... naaa, just nitrogen.

[​IMG]
    Spec-check and we all bolted up and read!!! If you think about it, the rear suspension does an aweful lot of work! While the front forks take the hits, the rear has to soak up the hit too, and hold up the rear mass of the bike all while the motor is trying to lay down the power! Amazing little rear shock!

[​IMG]
    YEAAAA!!!! Suspension FINISHED!!!! TG-DRZ - See what you can do with that pose!!!

While at Precision Concepts, I got to peek into the rear portion of the shop:
    [​IMG]
    TOYS!!!
    [​IMG]
    Can you say prototype Oil cooler!!! Yea, these guys are playing at a whole'nother level!!!
  14. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey Pete, Guess what.... Precision Concepts said to remove the bleeder valves!!! They said they can fail and have seen them fail. Especially true for the dual-sport enthusaists that ride in packs where the dust is getting picked up. It's the fine dust that they said would wreck them most.
    He showed me a box full of them as they will typically remove them when forks come in for service. So if you send your's in and want to keep them, well, keep them at home!!!

So bleeders are back in the package and back to stock. Just have to do the bleed when I return home from a ride.
  15. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    Chop sticks and rubber bands!!!
    Precison Concepts = offroad suspension science.

The chop sticks are back at the ranch and ready for installation!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Time to remove a few bits for cleaning and inspecting and some regreasing - bearings are down there!

[​IMG]
    Remove and...

[​IMG]
    BAM!!! Look what hits the ground! The bottom portion of the tripple clamp! Now I remember reading about that somewhere.... but...

[​IMG]
    Easy distraction....

[​IMG]
    Bottom Tripple clamp out.

[​IMG]
    OK, bottom tripple clamp gets bearings cleaned and inspected.

[​IMG]
    Lot's of water proof grease! There is actually an art to loading grease into the bearing, but you need two hands to do so, and I had no camera assistant to help.

[​IMG]
    Top bearing needs to come out - inspect and grease.

[​IMG]
    Top bearing greased and ready.

[​IMG]
    Grease the bearing race also.

[​IMG]
    Place the top bearing into the race.

[​IMG]
    Place the sealing gasket in place...

[​IMG]
    and run your fingers around to pop it in place. check and make sure it sets into place properly.

[​IMG]
    Then place the protective cover back on and on to the next process.
  16. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is going to be NICE!!!!*
  17. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time to swap some items over from the stock clap to the new BRP clamp.
    Cable guide is the first to swap over. Actually, BRP supplies nice instructions with color photos.

[​IMG]
    I add a little red sticky, not planning on coming back here to remove any time soon!

[​IMG]
    Next is the ignition switch. Follow the instructions and it will be easy!!!

[​IMG]
    This is TG-DRZ aka Dr. Extractor Yea, follow those instructions provided with the BRP clamp and you find inner-peace.

[​IMG]
    The items are swapped over and ready for install.

[​IMG]
    BLING BLING!!!

Speaking of bling bling..
    [​IMG]
    Check out the new BLING BLING bits from BRP!!!

[​IMG]
    So I go ahead and hook up the bottom part of the starter switch.

Switch it up a bit, I went ahead and installed the header tube:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right side shot of the Young Gun Coatings - Titanium coated header - KTM 950ADV.

[​IMG]
    Rear shock installed next. It's easier to install the header first. Found out the hard way as this is actually the second time I installed the rear shock.

Next up - EXHAUST!!! I think I finally got the right one!!!!
  18. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    This is some good stuff GCRad! :thumb

Thanks for taking the time. How was Kane Creek? :lol2
  19. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There we like 30 creek crossings on that trail - amazing riding! This was my first time ever riding in Moab! Will be back next year!
  20. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Finally got the right pipes to fit my bike! The only reason I am going with these FMF is due to..
    [​IMG]
    Those little numbers right there - Forest Approved!!! Yea, it's that important when you live in Southern California.

[​IMG]
    Look at the scaring lines... I think FMF stands for F'ing Mo'Fo's over as the build quality and details are a little rough in areas. They are not Akroprovik's, but they don't cost near as much and I will not cry as much when I put my own scratches on these.

[​IMG]
    I hung the can on the exhaust hanger first so I don't drop it when I am coupling it up to the header. OK, i'm a little impressed... Nice detailed FMF exhaust hanger.

[​IMG]
    Best thing to do is have all the under-seat plastic removed in order to reach the backside 10mm bolt! Trust me, it's worth removing the plastic in order to get back here!

[​IMG]
    Detail of the limited area behind the exhaust. Remove that plastic so you can actually get back here without the frustration!

[​IMG]
    Top - rear view of the 950ADV of the freshly installed FMF exhaust system. Note the under-seat plastic is removed and will make like a lot simpler when installing the exhuast. Trust me, I tried and learned the hard way.

[​IMG]
    Can wait to hear what these sound like!!!

[​IMG]
    Kona inspecting the work. She's a Belgian Malinois and has been an awesome dog for the family. And she is a very fast runner!

[​IMG]
    Look Ma! I'm going fast!!! At least it will be soon hopefully!!! Much to do still!