GravelCrew GCRad1 - My KTM950ADV story + upgrades

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by GCRad1, Jul 11, 2007.

1. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Send those back! Maybe make sure the have a replacement set:rofl . I have both the alum and ti and there perfect(ya I know, I'm the reason for the shortage. Two cylinders and four mufflers. I'm trying to make it look like a MV F-4:lol3 ).

Unless your a support rider and got a screaming deal.
  2. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Send the pipes back? What rhyme, what reason? What do I use instead of whatever you are talking about... the FMF exhaust pipes??? NOt sure what you are referring to?
  3. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at the scaring lines...

The mufflers. The picture looks like bad finish machine work. I use to work for FMF. I would exchange those for you in a heartbeat.
  4. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, too late! They are on the bike and it's just cosmetics. At this point after going through all I have chasing exhaust cans, I am not about to let these puppies leave my site! On the bike and on with the program! I won't even think of it as soon as I am twisting the throttle!
  5. Jimmydean

Jimmydean Jimmy

Oddometer:
    I would really like to hear about the coating you did. I have had this done on my dune buggy and have been thinking about doing it for my 950 and maybe 640e. what are the temp rating for the different coatings? IE silver, black and the titanium you did? Have you noticed any temp difference since you had this done? Sorry for all the questions.

Jim
  6. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hello Jimmydean,

I like the coating, it's nothing you are going to notice in a major way, but I do like it and I know that all the race teams use it, hot rod guys use it, all heavy performance guys use it. It works, but again, it's nothing you can see or feel, aside from the color. You may put some thermal strips on the say, the side panel - you will want to put the temp-strip on before you do the coating and then after and see if you get an external temp drop. I did not go to this level of testing as it has all been done before and I knew I already wanted it.

hope that helps you sort your thoughts.

I rember talking to them about the temp ratings and the ti-coating was like either 20-40degrees more than the black/silver. I will check into it and report back.

I did however "feel" a drop in the temp on the right rear side panel as we all know this sucker gets hot and my wife has even said it gets super hot by the rear foot peg. We did a quick two-up ride, but it was a cooler day, but she said it was cooler, again, not a good enough "feel" test as we did not ride long enough.
  7. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Pyndon - THANKS!!!
    [​IMG]
  8. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I tore the side pannels back off as I was working out some older issues and finally figured how to installed those puppies smoothly - practice makes perfect! Now all I need to do is torque down the fork tubes to specifications and the front end is almost finished.

[​IMG]
    Make sure the speed sensor pickup wire runs on the same side with the front brake line. yea, another lesson and had to remove the front wheel - AGAIN!

[​IMG]
    Speed sensor pick up.

[​IMG]
    Right side of bike, front hub spacer sits flat against the hub. The front axle has a built in spacer.

[​IMG]
    Right side axle/spacer in place.

[​IMG]
    Left Side - Front wheel spacer stand out wider than the right side spacer.

[​IMG]
    Left Side - Front wheel spacer with axle attached.

[​IMG]
    I will say it twice! Make sure the speed sensor wire is running with the front brake line!

[​IMG]
    Taking the front wheel off requires removing the right side break caliper.*So when you put the wheel back on, make sure you re-install the right side caliper, you might need it...

[​IMG]
    Front fender is now mounted! It's coming together!!! It's getting it's color back!!!

[​IMG]
    Time to raise the bar with some new ProTaper bars purchase along with the BRP tripple clamp.

[​IMG]
    ProTaper Henry/Reed model - fresh out of the box!!

[​IMG]
    Note the difference between the ProTaper Bars [top] and the Stock KTM Bars [ bottom].

Talking with Jim Rios, BRP owner and head technical advisor gave me some good insite as to how to pick bars.

The sweep-back you see in the stock bars are good for sitting down. The "flatter" bars as the ProTapers Wendam/Reed Model is better for standing. When in the standing position on the stock bars, pay attention to your wrist and elbows as you may see that your wrist are rotated outward more, thus tucking your elbows into your body. You want those elbows up and out when riding offroad!

Cut marks on the ends of the bars - where to cut?
    Well, we all know the east coast guys cut their bars at 27inches or less.
    Jim stated the best way to find your mark is to do pushups on the floor and have someone mark/measure the outside of your hands while doing so. This measurement is the best width for your bars.

That is the most info on bars I have ever heard or read! You would think the magazines and bar manufactures would have loads of info on the website and in their manuals about bar settings and designs and all the suttle differences.

[​IMG]
    Notice the sweepback on the stock bars [bottom] compaired to the ProTaper/Henry/Reed model [top].

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stock bars are a tad bit taller, but the ProTapers will be higher overall due to the BRP risers on the BRP tripple clamp. All around this BRP/ProTaper setup will be a much stronger package than my stock bars on the Stenhouse 30mm Bar Risers.

How do I know this?
    [​IMG]
    Cause they said so!!! hehehehe

[​IMG]
    Transworld Motocross Magazine thinks so too!
    It's all about the RATINGS!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Knurled aluminum rebound adjusters from Precision Concepts / 1x International (Johnny Campbell). Get'em here:
    http://69.20.48.188/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=112

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did I say Wendam / Reed, well I ment Henry / Reed... I would remember it better if it was like Blais / Harden model...

[​IMG]
    Inspector sleeping on the job!

[​IMG]
    Yea, this is another item to not forget! Put the throttle tube controls on first before you mount the bars!!

[​IMG]
    Don't forget to remove the bar end protectors if you are using hand guards.

[​IMG]
    Stock bars have holes to locate these pins so the controlls do not twist around on the bars. I filled these off to make use of the new bars. No holes are going into the new bars except for the ones on each end!!

[​IMG]
    Another items to shave down, the plastic pin locator - on the turn signal switch unit.

[​IMG]
    Spider Grips purchased from BRP

[​IMG]
    FINISHED... sorta.

[​IMG]
    Just a little bit more to go!

[​IMG]
    All ready to go on a little test run!

[​IMG]
    3/4 front left profile shot... AW MAN!!! get going already!*

[​IMG]
    First test run complete!!!! Yea, I picked up milk so the kids could have cereal in the morning. Dirt road test coming soon.
  9. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    All that work and you didn't fix the ding in the front rim? Or is it the light?

[​IMG]
  10. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    FIX THE DING!!!! hehehhe
    Well, here is the deal... while it's sorta cheap to take it off and send to Woodie's Wheels, at this point, why bother, cause I'm just going to bend it again!

My plan is to scrape up enough dead presidents and get a new set of wheels that are actually made for offroad riding. These stock rims are rather soft for abusive riding and I did not buy the bike to ride around look pretty on city streets.

Once I get the new "offroad" wheels, then I will send these stockers and have'em staightend and then these wheels will get the stock tires put back on and then the wife and I can go do some long distance riding.
  11. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    OK, FINALLY! Hitting the dirt with the new suspension and on my regular territory.

I've been off the bike for quite some time and riding the XR400, so it felt a little strange, but I could tell that the suspension was much better and better suiting for my type of riding.

Already, when you grab the front brakes, it don't feel as though you are going to touch your chin on the ground! yet, at the same time, it's to as stiff as a rock. It has a very nice progressive feel to it!!!

So the real action is about to begin!
  12. TG-DRZ

TG-DRZ Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hittin’ the dirt, hittin’ the screw, hittin' the rock, hittin’ Cooks for dinner!...”On Any Wednesday”
  13. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Haha, yeah, I know the feeling. I switch between the XR250 and the 950Adv.

Am learning not to try throw the 950 like the 250 :lol3
  14. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Noticed my local territory was a bit more rocky as the dry weather has made dust of dirt and exposing all types of knarlyisms.

The flatter bars where taking a getting use to, but standing up they seemed to be the ticket. The grips, not so sure as they seem thin and I can feel alot more...

The suspension seems way more precise, no slop and at the same time I can feel everything and it seems to be more sensitive to steering input. I like it!!!

I had a section where I really let it loose, only to notice the rear going a little south:

[​IMG]
    The culprit to end the ride early! Dangit! I was just getting warmed up! I got screwed out of riding time - Literally!!!

That lead to this:
    [​IMG]
    Little sidewall snakebite action. Can't wait to see what this tube looks like!

[​IMG]
    But, the flat did not stop of from seeing a great view. Yea, I left my pump on my mt. bike... had everything else.... I need to remember that sucker next time! That's TG-DRZ's bike in there too! We where out on our Wednesday night run - was headed toward Corona...

[​IMG]
    O'well, these tires have strong sidewalls, so I just rode down the mountain at a slower pace and tarmac'ed it back some more miles...

As long as those beads stay in place on the rim, it's all good!!!

It's about 30 mile tarmac transit back to my house. Stopped at Cooks Corner for dinner and kept going!!!

On the serface streets, everyone points out that you have a flat.
    On the freeway, riding in the slow lane at about 62mph, everyone just looks at you crazy...

15. RXV_Poor

RXV_Poor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the secondary filter for?
  16. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    You do not have to remove the front caliper to remove the wheel fellas. Simply turn it on the slider and the wheel comes right through.
    :1drink
  17. Dirkoff

Dirkoff Canyon Rat

Oddometer:
    Riding with a flat on the freeway, knowingly? That is a little crazy! Could'nt your friend go and get a pump for you?

Throw some CO2 cartridges in your pack and leave them there, that way you won't have the same problem. What PSI were you running? Main Divide will flat a low tire every time. Can't count how many repairs I have performed on the "hill".

-dm
  18. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The little K&N or the Red Uni Filter?
  19. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hey Dirkoff, Yea, a little crazy, but after the 10 or so miles on Bake Parkway at 50mph, freeway did not seem that far out of reach of capibility, plus I wanted to know what this tire would do or how it would act in emergency-rally mode. This tire is shot anyhow...

CO2 or a 100psi with ten gallon tank was not going to "quick-fix" this... and like I said, I ususally have the bike pump in my backpack... Besides, who wants to be sitting around waiting and watching me change the tire/tube on a 950ADV.

Plus, this is kitty cat country and it's dinner time... I would make a nice snack just all sitting there minding my own business... there's one to think about. TG-DRZ witnessed with our own eye just how big the Saddleback kitty cat is...

Rear tire was running about 30psi, then 29psi then 15psi and then the additional side blow most likely put it at 0psi....

I will generally run about 25psi to 30psi on the front and around 27psi to 30psi on the rear, just for the very reason you are most likely thinking about. I grew up on BMX, tried everything... they don't call'em rim bites and snake bites for anything...

SO, how many CO2's to fill a rear 950ADV tire?
  20. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Do you mean, twist the fork with the calipar attached!?!@!(&@^T(!*@YE!VB@HJ P(

Did not even think to try that!!! hehehehe