GravelCrew GCRad1 - My KTM950ADV story + upgrades

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by GCRad1, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Yes, just turn it with the caliper attached, the wheel comes right through.
    Easy, sleezy.
  2. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    A couple of friends where asking about pricing on the service and upgrade from Precision Concepts: $614.40 tax included for us Californians.

This included re-valving, seals, fork springs and mid valve springs. One price - total package! Again, if you are going to have the service performed, best to do both front and rear together.

From the time they get your suspension its usually a 2-3 day turn around! And, they keep the upgraded fork springs in STOCK! Shipping was not included as I hand delivered them.

www.precisionconceptsracing.com
  3. kenscott

kenscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. That's front and rear price?

Ken
  4. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, $614.40 is for both the front and rear suspension service / upgrade.
  5. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The little filter is for the crank case to breath.
    The red Uni Filter was introduced to us by fellow ADVrider.com member - Pyndon. It's a pre-filter for the main airbox. Now I can clean this filter often instead of changing the stock expensive filter. While Pyndon brought in a small batch of these, KTMTWINS now offers them: http://www.ktmtwins.com/950adventure/nu-1415.html

It's a must have item!!!
  6. RXV_Poor

RXV_Poor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.
  7. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I did not show you the UNI Filter install.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The filter is going to replace the air box snorkle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You will need to remove the snorkle from its base. I removed it by placing the base on the floor and pushing down on the snorkle corner and working around the edges to completly remove it.
    [​IMG]

Now you are going to insert the UNI Filter into the base:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All done and now you are ready to install!

I have to take a peak before I cover them up again!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OK, just drop your new pre-filter back into the original location where the snorkel was.

The UNI Filter was introduced to us by fellow ADVrider.com member - Pyndon. It's a pre-filter for the main airbox. Now I can clean this filter often instead of changing the stock expensive filter after a few rides.

While Pyndon brought in a small batch of these, KTMTWINS now offers them: http://www.ktmtwins.com/950adventure/nu-1415.html

I will have to keep a record of how many off-road adventures I do before I have to actually replace the main filter.

8. pburke

pburke Talks more than he rides

Oddometer:
    installed the same filter this weekend - I have no idea how you manage to take that many pictures of a job that takes a few minutes :D I would have spent more time on the camera than that little filter.

About the crank vent to the K&N - nice as long as you don't have too much oil in the bike or other reasons for nasty discharge. Things can gets very messy that way. I learned from an oldtimer this weekend that back in the day they installeed a "puke pot" under those breathers to avoid getting the bike messy. Time to find a small container to catch the potential liquid discharge coming from that filter. I've spent too much time cleaning my bike after picking it up in Idaho with an overfilled oil tank...
  9. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Here's how the KTM 950 Rally bikes did it (crank breather):

[​IMG]
  10. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

HeHeHeHe!!!
    Yea, my daughter wanted to get in the act of shooting the images so she shot them for me! I might have a helper...
  11. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

NICE!!! Thanks for that input!
    So do you have more images of the 950ADV - Rally Model?

The previous owner of my bike did the K&N crankcase filter. He did not ride the bike off-road and installed knobbies just before he sold it at 2,450miles.
  12. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Sure, just click the original photo in my post. Courtesy of Barbasmo :freaky
  13. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Where did you get your information on malfunctioning bleeders?? I've had mine since new, and no issue's, ever!!!, I do carry the factory screw's j.i.c., but I think that they (bleeders) got a bad rap some how, sometime, and without warrant.
  14. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, gave these a try. Sorry BRP & Spider grips, but these just don't suit my style. :shog
    [​IMG]
    I tried the Spider grip per BRP suggestion when purchasing the BRP Triple clamp and Pro Taper Bars. While they are soft and tacky, they are too small of a diamiter for my flavor. While I know most folks will really enjoy these grips and they are great grips, they just don't work for me personally.

Yea, I am very particular about my grips. Rather picky, finicky and fanatical, but at least I gave the Spiders a try. I try to stay open minded.

While I look to the Dakar / Baja guys for my inspiration and guiding, it's these grips from ProGrip from Italy that I like very much! I have been running them from the time I purchased my XR400, these grips where the first thing I had changed. While I know most of the Dakar types will run the foam grips, they are replacing them often. These "rubber" type grips last longer and have that same great vibration absorption that allow you to hang on all day long! I like doing big outing days when I get out, so I don't want my hands feel like they are holding onto coat hangers all day! These grips are "MONEY"!!!:thumbup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And at a whopping price of $8.99, please... It's worth you to not take my word for it and just try them yourself!!

[​IMG]
  15. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more on these grips. I have them on my XR and they have made all day rides very tolerable (even droning down the freeway). They are quite large in diameter, however. My racing partner didn't like them due to his petite, delicate hands. But they fit my hands wonderfully. And it is my bike after all....

I'll be getting a set for the 950 soon enough. Just have to be careful about the heating elements.
  16. pburke

pburke Talks more than he rides

Oddometer:
    great grips those 714s - and they have the proper grooves for the safety wire! Now, if I only was good at that safety wiring stuff, I would have it already wired up after swapping bars and grip color this weekend (yes, they come in blue!)

I have the Spider grips on my XR650R and like them there, but for long duration rides, I prefer the fat Pro Grips

[​IMG]
  17. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, what do you do when you are cleaning out the garage of rally car tires?...
    [​IMG]

Looks close..
    [​IMG]

Can you say, gravel road drags?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just lower the suspension, lenghten the swing arm...

yea, I thought is was silly too! Sorry, humor was much needed during these crazy fires we are having.
    [​IMG]
    This is my office window, looking out onto our great Santa Ana / Saddleback Mountians - yes, this is Foothill Ranch, Ca!
    I've been taking images of the area around here since the fires started near my work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodneywills/sets/72157602617329801/
  18. silver04rs

silver04rs Stupid N0OB!!111

Oddometer:
    Rod

bike is looking great

Travis B
  19. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    Does the pre-filter seem to cause any richness of fuel mixture?
  20. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My bike runs PERFECT!!! But Z-Racing, during my last tune up, prepared for the addition of the FMF Q's and such. Bike is spot on! Call Z-Racing if you may have any questions at 714.633.3115. Teel'em Rodney sent ya!

Pydon is the guy I found out about this filter through and somewhere deep within his thread it discusses the tuning aspect after adding the filter:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147440
    Sorry about sending you on the wild goose chase. If you actually do find the thread link/page, please forward it to me and I will update my post and add the link.

Also, I would call KTMTwins.com and ask them about it as they are very connected to the Dakar Rally Team "RALLY PAN-AM" - they will know what direction to point you and are now officially selling the filters here in the USA. KTMtwins.com 415-621-1570