GravelCrew GCRad1 - My KTM950ADV story + upgrades

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by GCRad1, Jul 11, 2007.

1. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

THANKS DUDE!!! Long live GravelCrew!!! Team 1WD division!!!

So, when you gonna start your thread? when you gonna'show off that #1 AMA Motard Plate!?!??!?!?!

Yea, I'm calling you out!!!!

Hey peeps - my man Travis B can wheel a bike both tarmac and dirt:
    See Travis drift:
    [​IMG]
    Here is the big image, Travis, Take it and crop it close up and use it to start your post with: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/480153320_f52bd50ca7_o.jpg

Travis ain't scared! Same bike on K-NOBS:
    [​IMG]

OK, Travuuuuus! Show us that plate - start your thread!!!!
    Thumpers!!!!

So you know, here is my XR400 I started over there:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272676

Where you at?!?!?!??!! GET UP!!!
    hehehehe - thanks for calling the other day!
    Let's do this LA-Barstow-Vegas&Back deallio!!!
  2. silver04rs

silver04rs Stupid N0OB!!111

Oddometer:

yikes.... hypin me up. except its a #2 plate... and its for Amature. Ill get a thread goin in teh next couple weeks once I get all moved into my new place

Travis
  3. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Testing 1, 2, 3, - Scott G, PlaCar, when are you getting back!?!??!?! I need to make some mounts that will withsand the abuse!
    [​IMG]

Not that I will have these PIAA lights ready in time and hope to not need them as I will be riding the in the District 37 LA-Barstow-Vegas Ride, Thanksgiving weekend Nov 23-25. This is my first ever Dist37 Ride, so it will be a whole new experience for me!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53339

http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/ridingevents.php

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

4. silver04rs

Oddometer:
    Rodney....

Couldnt sleep, had both my computer with all my pics in front of me finaly. after a couple hours of browsing and uploading and croping and writing its finaly here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280369

That and I spent my $300 KTM contingancy cash, and then about another $400 cash on parts yesterday. As soon as I do my wheel suspension swap Im going to get on with the build

check it out and let me know what you think

Travis
  5. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Had this bright idea that I was going to upgrade the stock handguards to the Acerbis handguards... I love Acerbis products and also have these on my XR400.

But I ran into a couple of issues though..

[​IMG]
    Top view looking down onto the handguard shows that it will have contact with the windscreen / dash area. Shown are the stock handguards, and the Acerbis guards sit out from the bars more as they have the aluminum beam that runs through the guard hence why I wanted to mount them up.

I could simply limit the turning radius to prevent the handguards from hitting the dash, but I like having the full turning radius potential for those tight areas.

The cuase of all this is this:
    [​IMG]
    The BRP TripleClamp moved my bars forward as I wanted for standup riding. Sorry Acerbis Handgaurds, your gonna'have to wait till I figure a solution. Gotta' prep for the LA2B2V&Back ride!!!
  6. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The factory KTM Bar end plug / handguard end-bolt - transfered from the stock bars into the new bars. Big set of pliers or vicegrips will be enough to twist it out.

Safety Wire!!!
    [​IMG]

Safety Wire Pliers are COOL!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wire tie pliers or safety wire pliers or what ever you want to call them... you basically clamp the two ends of the stainless steel wire in the jaws and slide the lock on and pull the plunger - twister and wha la!!!! Twisted wire of greatness!!!

[​IMG]
    Wire is nice and tight! Cut and tuck!

[​IMG]
    Tuck those ends in real nice and tidy as you will not want snags in your gloves.

Grips that come with THREE wire tie grooves is alright in my book!!!
    [​IMG]
    ProGrip Rally Raid 714's wire tied and fit for riding. Bottom view.
  7. silver04rs

Oddometer:
    We want updates from the big ride... and lots of pics as well

call me,
    Travis
  8. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

While little bit of a debate within the thread, I ride dirt bikes and my dirt bike does not have this option. It's up to me to remember to not take off with the kickstand down, but at the same time, i'm not looking to do this repair while out in the field. Check the thread for all the details:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127118

It's real basic:
    1-Disconnect the Kickstand wire harness.
    2-Cut Black and Green wire and solder together
    3-Cap off the Bround wire
    4-Replace connector

I save all these little cool threads in my "subscriptions" and my list is getting long!

[​IMG]
  9. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Got a nice little white box delivered!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nicely protected with foam.
    AH-HA!!!
    [​IMG]
    Check out the cool stickers!
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/2038006016_e03a57cc47.jpg[/IMG

There is the gold contents!
    [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2227/2038006282_6056a43639.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I actually take my older Scotts Stabilizer off for a little side-by-side comparison.

A little serial number capture while I am at it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This puppy is going in here!!!

[​IMG]
    Pull the bars down so I can slide the stabilizer in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Greese the pin and set the strike range to make sure no binding takes place.

[​IMG]
    Small problem as the adjuster star is right against the bars once they are mounted back on. So, looking at my old dampler on the XR400, it has the small single point arrow adjuster on it, so I swop them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PERFECT!!!
    Now my bike is just that much closer to perfection!!!
    [​IMG]

Most of you already know that a steering stabilizer or dampener is one of the first additions highly recommended for off-road riding. With the big KTM 950ADV weighing in at 447lbs, that’s a whole’latta weight to keep going straight in any sand wash! Can’t imagine flip-floppin’ hip-hopping through some woops with this big of a bike without a steering stabilizer!

Two reasons why I chose the Scotts Steering Stabilizer:
    I think it's real simple for the fact why I went with the Scotts Stabilizer. I already have one on my XR400 and LOVE IT!!! It's the only way to go for a dirt bike in the desert!

TWO: The Scotts Stabilizer has the exclusive special feature of a High Speed Valve that is designed to help absorb the large and rather unexpected hits. Hits to the front wheel that would otherwise potentially knock you silly and or rip bars from your hands while the bike takes to the bushes and you fly overhead for a better view. The High Speed Valve operates, I don’t want to say independently from the “variable” Base Control Valve, but while you can adjust the Base Control Valve on the fly for various conditions, mentally pre-judging the riding conditions and making adjustments, the High Speed Valve is like the safety backup for the unexpected.

But to get this Scotts Steering Stabilizer to actually function on the bike it has to actually mount to something. It’s like anything and everything on bike, you change something here and you have to change it over there, so on and so on. It’s never just one simple thing, hence the strong relationship between Scotts and BRP, maker of various mounts for the Scotts Steering Stabilizer, adapting this awesome technology to a wide range of bikes. BRP also has a solution for my dilemma of wanting to raise my bars higher. I guess the BRP relationship with KTM and prototyping efforts for their Dakar and off-road efforts, works to our benefits as these items are readily available!

My Scotts Steering Stabilizer was purchased from BRP. Check'em out at www.brpit.com
  10. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the crash guards first, but wanted these for additional protection:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The underside is actually Carbon Kevlar:
    [​IMG]
    A little closeup detail:
    [​IMG]

OK, so I pulled off my crash guards.
    [​IMG]
    For those of you who have crash guards, I hope you saved your stock bolts!!! You are going to need the shorter bolts.

The instructions are not super-clear, but you are going to remove this stock corner protection:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top is bolt assembly [long] with plastic corner guard when you use the crash guards: Remove and replace with the original stock bolt [short] and new washer show at bottom.

It's going to look like this when you bolt it all back together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But all that comes after your have set your panels to dry for 24hours:
    [​IMG]

Also added clutch and case Carbon covers for added flavor and effect:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Applying the Silicone glue to adhire the Carbon Side Cover to the KTM 950ADV. Silicone is good to 400+ degrees.
    [​IMG]
    Let dry for 24-hours.
    In this image you can also see the kickstand/sidestand sans the electric switch wire. Also, to the left of the case cover is the white electrical connector where the kickstand electric switch connects to. This is where you reconnected your mod'ed switch as stated in post #108 [above].
  11. silver04rs

Oddometer:
    Double duty.. SEXY and TOUGH

Kinda like you like your women.... kinda
  12. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Just had a a few cups of tea whilst reading this whole thread...very good pictures indeed....you can never have enough pictures!!!!!!...Thanks for a great write up,especially the suspension section. Good luck with your ongoing improvements.

:D
  13. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    While I'm sure I could squeeze some more off-road miles out of this Pirelli RallyCross MT21 M70R, I have big ride plans and need a freshy AND FAST!

Yea, waiting to the last minute sucks, but work has been crazy and time not on my side.
    [​IMG]
    Day before Thanksgiving [Nov 21] and I am at the shop getting the only tire I could find close to my house. I have a major ride planned for Nov 23-25!!!

[​IMG]
    Before we get on with the new tire, this MT21 has basically made it to the 12,443 mile [bike mark] as it started at the 10,648 bike mile mark for a total of 1,795 miles from this tire. Pitiful but fun and the price of having a 447lb dirt bike.

Tire #5... I know this is going to be a waste...
    [​IMG]
    Pirelli MT18
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice the smaller blocks.. I can just imagine what is about to be dealt in the name of misery.

[​IMG]
    Alone, it looks all knarly and aggressive...

[​IMG]
    Mounted and ready for abuse, it looks a little pitiful but it may as well be ready to be punished as the bike gets a day of rest and then we are off on an adventure.

OK, I know and am telling you up front and now so you do not have to say "I told you so" and "you should have use so&so" as I know, I know, I know... I know already that I should have a Dunlop D908 or Michelin Desert. I know already, so don't give me a hard time. I wanted to go ride and I know this was the price... running a tire that would last me "no time" but the how long factor was the unknown factor....

But we are talking about going on my first multi-day ride. My first Dist37-AMA ride. The big dog of Dist37-AMA rides, the 24th Annual LA-to-Bartsow-Vegas Dual Sport Ride!!! And I was going with my buddies from Dust Magazine as they where riding big bikes as well!!!!

The price was paid!
    [​IMG]
    My transit to the event, on tarmac was 115 miles and the tire looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then after about 400+ miles of sand, rocks and anything else that came across the desert, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

You can read my ride report:
    LA-Barstow-Vegas Dist37-AMA 2007, 2-KTMLC8ADV's & 1-BMW1150GS Nov 23-25 DUST Magazine

Here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289466

When I return here, you will see my field modifications to bike and self...
  14. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    why do I have a bad feeling here ?......

just discovered your thread.
    that's passion u displayed here.
    pretty nice indeed.
    even in orange :D
    /thierry
  15. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    likewise...

:D
  16. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    It's amazing the B2V dual sport ride is 24 years old already. They sure grow up fast. I used to race B2V before it was banned. When it was a "Hare Hound" and before Super Hunky started his "protest" rides. :gerg
    :snore

I'll have to try the 950 on the new coarse, one of these years.
    :freaky
  17. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:

You forgot to mention that there is about 1.5 turns of adjustment (full-off to full-on) on the Scotts, and even with that pin style adjuster you can still only use ~3/4 or a turn with the BRP triples designed for the Adventure.
    Not really what you would expect from a $650 part, Still the 3/4 turn is very usable if you position it to get the last 3/4 turn from the dial and not the first 3/4 turn.
  18. gavP

gavP Old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    Great thread and pictures, keep them coming.
  19. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sheep Shagger,

You are absolutely correct in that the last 3/4 turn is the "usable" section or the adjustable section of control as I took the pointer indicator off and dialed in my settings and slid it back on.

[​IMG]

With the pin indicator pointed towards the right, it is at the least resistance and pin indicator pointed towards the left is in full resistance mode.

While pointed to the right in the least resistance setting, it’s very minimal and I barely feel any resistance, like the difference between 30psi and 15psi in the front tire, so again, very minimal resistance. So, any further adjustment in the "least resistance" area is not needed.

While I understand what you are saying... what I am saying is, for the weight of the 950ADV and the dial-in capabilities, the Scotts Stabilizer is actually perfect! And it's real simple for quick reference of knowing where the Scotts Stabilizer is set to and easy to flip back and forth even with my gloves on. Hit the sand wash, flip it to the left for more resistance and when I get in the technical hard pack or turning tight at the gas station, just flip the pointer indicator back to the right.

I know this opens a whole debate [of which I will not partake in] with the use of other dampeners/stabilizers that have full adjustment on the fly via thumb/finger controls mounted by the grips. Maybe some don't. I don't really care, because I know where the patented technology that Scotts incorporates into their stabilizer comes from.

The one thing everyone overlooks with the Scotts stabilizer is the fact that it has a secondary or over-ride master control. That "other" knob that is on the dampener... Basically no matter where you have your stabilizer pointer indicator pointed to [either soft/hard - least/most resistance] lets say if you hit something that would typically make your front wheel want to rapidly turn left/right, that mystery "hit" would be met with "instant" resistance from the Scotts Stabilizer, due to the "over-ride" master control, which is also controllable. But you really need to know to how and what you are adjusting to be messing with this control.

So basically if you had the pointer indicator to the right for the least resistance [in the case of how it's set for my bike] and I was bombing a sand wash and hit a hidden rock or ledge, it automatically applies the appropriate resistance almost as though it is speed/load sensitive. But, I’m quite sure that most people would not be bombing through a sand wash at the speed needed to have it meet the "hit" with the resistance desired as I believe this is all sliding scale stuff between the two controls and a large part of riding style... BUT.... this is largely the reason why more Baja competitors have used the Scotts stabilizer. The speeds these guys are running and the sudden hidden mystery items that meet the front wheel and are never seen, have saved a many desert riders from going down.

While I am no Baja racer, when I am in the desert doing loops out in whoop-city Lucerne Valley, I would not even think about riding my bike without my Scotts Stabilizer. Simple fact. I never grew up riding in sand. I just started riding desert in 2006, as that is when I bought my XR400 and reacquainted myself with dirt bikes from my childhood. I was very nervous about sand and woops and I can tell you single handily, the Scotts Stabilizer helped me overcome my fear of both sand and woops. I would go out and basically figure out the settings and see how the bike would react to this one-mile section of sand/woops in Johnson Valley. Back and forth, back and forth. Scared the crapazoids out of myself, but I learned as I knew this was going to be the life of desert riding in Southern California. I had to overcome that and the Scotts Stabilizer gave me the control and confidence I needed. If it's good enough for the best of Baja and Dakar champions, it's good enough for me. But I just wanted to know how it works as my growing up in Alabama and riding dirt bikes on a Yamaha DT175 through the mountains, a steering stabilizer was never a thought. Gas, Yamalube and sparkplugs where the major needs!!!

OK, sorry to go on a tangent there!!!
    Can you tell that I like my Scotts Stabilizer???

20. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    There is no question the 990 is a far more tolerable bike to ride with a Scotts, even without full range of adjustment. It just annoying (to me anyway) that something was not thought out well in the design, and it would be VERY simple to fix, all they need to do is lower the mounting tabs on the triple 1/4 inch to make the stabilizer sit lower, there is enough room.

The hi speed circuit in the Scotts is for high speed steering movement (not MPH), And as you said if something like a rock hit's the wheel, it will not rip the bars out of your arms. But sand will generally move the wheel slowly, so that's why in sand you have to turn up the low speed dial to make the scotts work. (the high speed circuit really doesn't work for sand). It's not automatic, the high speed circuit is simply inverse of the low speed circuit, reducing the low speed resistance will increase the hi speed resistance. The second dial for the high speed it just setting of how much high speed.