1. eNewsletter Sign Up

great african GS challenge

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by toucan, Jun 21, 2005.

1. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Pretty simple really, the answer is yes and no.

Clear like mud yet?

1) Yes - if the guys crashed doing any of the routes, insurance covers as that section wasnt a motorsports challenge or event or competition. Just guys riding together on a route.

2) No - in the skills challenge, cos its a competition, and therefore not covered by insurance.

WELCOME BACK TO ALL PARTICIPANTS, WHEN YOURE UP TO IT, POST PICS AND RESULTS AND ETC

Cheers
  2. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    I am just going to say one thing.

This accident was so unecesary. People are traveling faster than they can see. John my dad had so looked forwad to this event, and was doing everything to ride within his limits. Would not have been riding more than 70km/h

Who rides into a dust cloud over 100km/h?
    Who wants to ride over a hill on the right hand side of the rode at hihg speed. It could have been a car. THen survival would have been slim.

VERY SAD !!!
  3. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Who cares? The people involved could have lost their lives.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tehJok3r, was your old man involved ? man that sucks, sorry to hear, hope he's alright ?
  5. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    I will update this as I get all the names together, but I would like to 1stly thank Kevin (Candyman) for assiting and staying with my DAD the entire time, untill we got him airlifted out to Cape Town.

There were people like Harrold a pediatrician who made sure my DAD was stable and no further injuries took place.

Dale who helped providing some shadow for the hour that it took for an ambulance to arive.

Distances is a problem in those areas - just another reason to take extreme care.

The doctor in Carnarvon who helped convince the Medivac and all the Carnarvon people who volunteered to bring their cars in the middle of the night to provide lights for the medical plane (PILATES) to land on a gravel airstrip with no lights. THe Doctor also came to watch the skills challenge and walked over to ask me how my Dad was.

Thank you to every body who helped and assisted and also enquired afterwards to his condition and well being.

I will write a more formal letter with all the names for the BMW site as well.
  6. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    DayamNIT!

This was your dad Chris whom I have met? NIce guy, unreal that this would happen to such a nice guy. In my short time of seeing Chris's dad, he CERTAINLY rides within his limits, which is calm, gentle and fun. Excellent to see.

This sort of crap is just so sad to see. PLEASE SEND OUR BEST TO YOUR DAD CHRIS AND TELL HIM THE WHOLE ADVRIDER CREW ARE ROOTING FOR HIM BIG TIME..................

Ruthless, you didnt ask a bad question, its a fair question and hopefully I shed some light on it. Joker (Chris) is responding out of understandable anger and frustration because thats his Papas bike out of a horrible accident, and I would feel all of the same emotions too.

Chris, peace to you and your family, pls keep us updated with your dads state of being.

Peace
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear what you saying LITO, but it was a bit insensitive on my side...thanks for the answer. Chris, I hope your dad recovers speedily.
  8. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    No problem Rutheless.

Thanks for the well wishing.
  9. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    4 posts an already like a bull in a china shop eh :baldy
  10. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Ruthless Noob must then definatley be from Joeys eh?
  11. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    naaa , him a capie would you believe ,kinda lets your side down a bit :D
  12. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Bad news is bad news no matter what, all the best for your old mans recovery tehJok3r, I am the first to throw some oil on the Jo,burg / Capie fire but this ain,t the best place Lito or Grue.
    Anyway, I find the zero output on the BMW site unsettling, do they have an IT problem or are they having a problem getting their act together to either celebrate the event, or handle a bad accident, they were unsettled last year by the 3 more minor accidents and this may be a bit much. I hope it does not impact too much on future GAGSC events.

Welshman
  13. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My understanding was that this accident happened before the event started - en route as such ... so the insurance question should not be a problem. Still most unnecessary and unfortunate.

Certainly there were the cowboys around (mostly ADV mounted) who insisted on full throttle EVERYWHERE and fucked many off with stones flying past ones head etc...! Otherewise an awesome event - maybe not as personal as last year but nevertheless well organised and great landscape. Red Route Day three really on the extreme edge of 'Adventure Motorcycling' ...
  14. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Good to here a positive note, there had to be some issues with the numbers involved unfortunately. I hope it did not appear I was lecturing above, just my concern (as I get old I take longer to heal as do others).

Welshman
  15. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    We all feel the same thing and have expressed our best wishes accordingly.

Thanks Dad, mine was a question as to where he was from, as I thought he was one of your mates up in Joburg. One of the 'koppe gang or not. Relax a little.

I dont believe there will be any impact going forward that of a negative basis. Leon tells me there were 6 accidents last year and around 1/3 of the entrants, so all in all (And ANY accident sucks BIG TIME), apparently it was a better safety track record, despite the increased testosterone entry level.

But I do agree, what the heck happened to bmwmottorad.co.za - theres no news, and I find this extremely lacking. Bad news Darren.....
  16. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    Naaa ruthless dont have the equipment to be an esteemed member of the infamous koppe scooter gang of which there were 7 at the GS challenge. And certainly was not lessening the severity of the accident or anything like that. merely banter welshman but i consider myself chided and sanctioned.
  17. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    On a lighter NOTE!!!

They had JAN du Toit ride the HP2. I took some photos and will post it in a few minutes. I forgot I had photos. Sorry. Had a few things on my mind.
  18. CandyMan_ZA

CandyMan_ZA R1200GS-WP

Oddometer:
    :evil beat you to it... :p
    [​IMG]

I'll post some thumbnails of the event for anyone interested in a sec...

Kevin
    R1200GS-WP
  19. CandyMan_ZA

CandyMan_ZA R1200GS-WP

Oddometer:
    ...see if you can guess who this silly face belongs to ? A clue, it's no joke ! :D

[​IMG]
  20. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And so tell me CandyM what actually locked the back wheel in the Skills Challenge final? (I helped move your pig out the track)