1. eNewsletter Sign Up

great african GS challenge

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by toucan, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Sorry boys,
    Kindly disregard my over the top schoolmaster stuff, must have been an over reaction to my hydraulic lunch yesterday, I see the challenge is now on moteraad, in the GS Challenge section not in news.

Welshman
  2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Hey Welshie,

No worries mate, all is good. :thumb

So! Leon also had a seat on that bike tells me its nice. R140K - is it worth it...

Chris you look like a little boy whos been given a box of sweets. Or a new motorbike.................

hehe - looking forward to the pics.

Dayam that looks like fun country to ride in, How about a RIDE REPORT?????

Cheers boyz, LITO
  3. maverick

maverick Lost South-African..

Oddometer:
    Howdie guys just read through this post and very sorry to see the state of those bikes and even more so hope and pray your Dad and the other fellas is ok Chris.

Still seemed like you guys had a good Africa expierence which is more than I could say about my long weekend in Ireland :huh Hope there is more pics :lurk
  4. CandyMan_ZA

CandyMan_ZA R1200GS-WP

Oddometer:
    Hi Big D, it was Jok3r's bike that locked up a back wheel, I am too much of a woosie to enter the skills challenge :eek1 , it looks like the ABS but the diagnosis has not been done yet.

Kevin
    R1200GS-WP
  5. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Damn ABS.......... give me a KATOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil
  6. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Thanks Maveric and everyone for the well wishes. Pain is still there and Dad is feeling a lot better. Still long rode ahead, but at least things are looking up.

I have a good time even though I was not all there.

Back brake problem,
    I just parked the bike and have not yet looked at it. Will take some time tomorrow to clean and take apart the brake caliper. See if anything got stuck in there.
  7. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Ja Hein Kumm helped as well there and I saw how he used my sand stand as a pivot. Very interesting.

Thanks BigDom for helping, I was so thankfull to actualy get the bike back to camp later.

In any event, my DAD is doing much better and I sent him a home made cupechino this morning to cheer him up. He normaly drinks those every afternoon at my house. So it should cheer him on.....
  8. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Hey!!! Cannot call my ride a pig. It has feelings :bueller
  9. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So does my sow and I love her too!:crash
  10. kejago

kejago Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer:
    Try this: http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/bikes/news/default.asp

Works for me...

Kev.
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please people my bitch read this threads you making her soft with this nice talking:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 Now she wants' me to talk all funny to her:lol3 :lol3
  12. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Come on Michnus, wait til she really reads it
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    I am talking about my bike, not my betterhalf:D :D :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  14. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Wait you telling me your bike can't read??
  15. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    I am thinking youre actually talking about your KLR there.... cos the Dakar will do what you want and faster too! Pity about the Dakar being so fat internally though, its official, shes a big fat pig. But not as fat as the 1150 ADV!!! :evil

But really. Mich, I rode a 525 KTM for a bit in the sand on the weekend. Dayam that thing felt like a plastic kids toy scooter between my legs, and it was EASY to wheelie that thing in SOFT DUNE sand!!!! Dayam. No wonder....

So yes, the Dakar must go, and be replaced by something with at least twice the power. Even if it HAS to be a BMW....:lol3
  16. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Did you say a BMW? That is such good news :D
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    I bought my bro in law's 250KTM exc the last weekend, I rode it a couple of times in the past and this thing is one wild mother...............you know what!!!!!!!!
    My 2c is this, get a offroad bike that you can really abuse,........or it abuse you in my case. Have a 650 or 950 or 1200 or whatever makes you happy for day use and long travels, oooooo...and when you wanna do some dirt roads. But the offroad will keep your skills up with good levels, and it is moerova good fun.:D :lol3 :lol3 :D

Brother what you talking with all this Dakar must go and get something bigger things? You going for a 1200 or what?
  18. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    I must agree, and will be looking out for something like that Michnus.
  19. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Hey Michie,

If you bought the 250 (congrats btw!!!!!) then wait till you try this 525 stick of dynamite under your butt............ dayam

Yep, I am thinking the same way almost. Either going to get a 525 KTM for the hardest duties when I want to bash it (my mate Lourens rode his on the tar to West Beach from van Riebeeckshof), or I am going to go for a GAS GAS to REALLY learn how ride the tricky shit. Apparently these trials bikes can really increase your skill hugely and I am amped to do that. I just know that I am not capable enough just yet, and I want to get there. When I can hang with the best and even beat em then I will relax. heheh

But yes, I was really dissapointed with the Dakkie on Sunday. I was riding fast (I dodged 8 tortoises and stood on one 1 metre long black with lighter black/brown underbelly :eek1), and when the sand REALLY got thick, my Dakkie started to die in 3rd, though I had that throttle WIDE OPEN HARD. I got pissed off with that........... For the rest however, I am a bit concerned that I am riding her too hard. Shes doing it all, but the stress has GOT to be taking its toll. Trying to take 2 whoopsies at a time on the thing cant be good - especially when theres easily a 100 whoopsies in a row. I bottomed the front forks around 6 times - even with all my weight transferred to the back of the bike, toes on pegs, leaning hard back - but when the wheels dig into the whoopsies, then something has got to give on this bike, the bike is not designed for this stuff man.

SO I feel bad. And when I go touring, I dont really want Michele riding the Dakar, because it will strain to keep up with the bigger bike. So I am seriously thinking of something like this: (all dependant on work in the next two months): get a 1200 GS as well as a 950KTM. I can use the 950 for my dirt penchant and bombing it (I still got loads to learn), and the 1200 can be a nice tourer backup, closer to the ground for Michele.

Oh well, thats going to be 1/4 bar for two bikes :lol3

mmm and I am also going to be treating myself (and probably her too) to all new kit for Kersfees. Cant wait........
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    Joker you did the red route? My bro in law that did the red route with us on his 1200gs opinion was that the 3rd day was not actually suited for the bigger bikes. Yes,yes, they can handle what we did that day, but with a little bit of violence you can also brake your finger in your arse..............you follow what I am getting at?

My point is that the offroad bikes you play with as much as you can handle, the skills you aquire will provide you with better bike control on the bigger bikes.

Plenty guys on the red route 3rd day would have never done the last day if they actually new what was going to happen.