1. eNewsletter Sign Up

great african GS challenge

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by toucan, Jun 21, 2005.

1. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Well Michnus I never knew you were that violent when you stuck your finger up your arse. Hmmm, glad I dont do that........

:rofl

On that note, I will speak for my mate Leon who did the red route on the ADV. He reckons that a lot of people shouldnt have done the 3rd day with the skillz they had. He and a few others I know had to help a lot of people through some difficult parts, and I can just imagine. I know what hes talking about.

Its not the big bike thats the problem, its the overconfidence of some coupled with lack of skill. Explosive combination waiting to happen.

Remember that whole route was researched, prepped and plotted by Jan and others, on ADV's.

So there you go.
  2. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    No Michnus I did not do the red as I did not feel confident I would take my bike through the route without damaging it. I felt we were warned that the route is only for very experienced riders. So seeing as I got lots to learn I did not go RED.
    Saved some for the skills, but I nearly fell asleep as the route was so long - the GReen one.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    You most properly have the necesary skill to ride the red route, you did extremely well on the skill section, but the 3rd day's 8 kilo's was a bike breaker, weeeelll for many guy's anyway. There is a difference between being an advance rider and just plain trying to take bikes through stuff it is not really intended for.

I did not follow the thread, is your bike sorted with your ABS that went bang?
  4. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    I took everything apart. Warm water and cleaned it. Checked all the brake levers for damage and loosened the tension on all the brake levers to see if the constant braking perhaps came from there. After checking everything and replacing the calipers I found that there was no longer any binding.

Mystery. Maybe I was just to scared to finish, that water crossing was a bit daunting ;)

I have not ridden the bike yet. Got a few other things I am busy with currently. Taking it in for 20k service and then the tester will tell all. :norton
  5. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Michie, youre a buddy old pal to me, and I smaak you like a buddy stukkend. But I have to look at the sentence and moan. The bike is meant for that stuff. Many bikes did it boet. Hein did it on a 1200. Leon did it with a pillion on on the 1150 ADV. Roelof did it on a Dakar. Your mate probably did it too on his Dakar. (let me know if he did).

The bikes are made for it, its a case of confidence and ability of you, the rider, to take it succesfully through there.

Anyway, I will shit up about it now. Its like the first time my buddy and I went to West Beach. Leon on his pig, me on my Dakster. He thought - ha! I am going to show George why riding in sand on the ADV is not cool. Let him shit himself now when I challenge him to take the big bike through the soft stuff. Well, to his dismay, he found the Dakar much harder to take through the sand, the ADV was much easier.

But before then, he was convinced the ADV wasnt meant to ride in it. Its a matter of psychology now. And once proven, Leon now rides in the sand too.

Enough from me.

Peaceful riding, George
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    What you don't agree with me, HellRider????:lol3 :lol3

We venture into long discussions now, I agree on most of what your'e saying, forsure as hell, these bikes can do the stuff that was the 3rd day. The Dakar's, hell, yes, it was their stuff. The bigger bikes went up their, shit they had no choice, their was no way back, so yes, all of them HAD to get up that hill. Your'e Ktm950 was more suited for that application, and would fly out there.

I am not saying they can't, I am saying that special section that day was somehow touching the limits of what the bikes was intented and build for.

Search through Advrider and see if you can get that kinda riding with those big pigs.Some will ride those sections, 90% of people will never do that with their bikes.Even Joker said his got a good change of breaking his bike, or something on it.My bro in law said the same as Joker.Have alook at those pics they look cool? Buddie that was serious stuff for those bikes, how would people be able to take their bikes out there if they were alone?

Please debate with me, I am open for good opinions:D :wink:

My 1200gs will be here over the weekend:clap :clap :clap :clap :ricky :bmwrider Signed papers today!!!!!!!!!!
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    One of the things that many people complained about was guy's misunderstanding the red route. It was mentioned many times in no uncertainty about having knobbies the 3rd day. Still some guy's felt macho enough to try it with dualsport tyres. Maybe they really are that good, but still, he needed help getting his bike up the hill. This is the same argument, you can get out there with semi-road tyres, but it was not designed for this type abuse.

[​IMG]
  8. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    HEY! You calling me HellRider now??????

MY Nick is LITO or Live in the Outdoors, or George for real :D

Listen buddy old pal - that pic is from my website! hehehe

So yes, I do believe the route can be ridden on dual sport tyres, but it will make it more diffcult FOR SURE.

And as far as the bike goes... yes I bet you a million that that bike can do it, as long as the rider is up to it. Remember its not the arrow, its the Indian, and the tools are only so good as the hands using them.

Few people ever get to test the limits of their bike. HEres a limit. Try riding the ADV up a 45deg slope on ice. uh.... you wont do it. not even with spikes (especially if you have to start on the slope)

But it wasnt designed for that right? But for this kind of crap, yes its fine. I know its 1 to 1 gradient and all, and so what if Jan fell off, hell I do that all the time (grin), but the bike can do it, its often the rider who isnt capable just yet.

Come riding with me!!!! Kom nou boetie. I will help you through whatever the red route can throw at us if you come on the trip (read Bikesa website thread)

And I believe that you can do MUCH better than you are currently. And so can Chris (Joker). We all can........
  9. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    The thing is - as much as I would like to agree and say these bikes are very capable in much worse terain than we give them credit for, however there is the matter of usage and if used in this terain every day well then parts are gonna be very expensive. Like the bash plate for instance. The 1200GS Bash plate not really designed to take the punishment this type of route hands it.

Or maybe it was but with a limited time only and then time for a new one. I saw a bash plate damage an oil filter allready on a normal off road trail. No funny stuff just normal ups and downs and bumps. My Bash plate is sheered of the rubber bolts it was on.
  10. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Who sais?

Which website?

Maybe we should just ride more and talk less? :bueller
  11. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Says me. I think we can all improve our skills, the day we dont think so, thats the day we are dumb.

Ok, my webbie is https://tigerr.smugmug.com

Tons of pictures there
  12. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    btw - I agree. The 1200 doestn come out ready to tackle the mostest and the hardest.

Which bike does? Most take some modifications to get it up to standard. Take even the dirt based KTM. Bashplate is pathetic piece of crap, the front wheel is softer than your beer gut.

I think even the seat is harder than the rims and bashplate...... :rofl

So no worries. Simple plan here: The bike can do it, protect your bike, and yes it does get expensive if you keep bashing it. Therefore, thats what insurance is for as well as the moral of the story - TRY NOT TO BASH THINGS DUH!!!!!!!
  13. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    The KTM front wheel only bends (like most others) when you run it too soft and hit things with it. Fast dirt: 160 kPa. Slow sand, etc 100 kPa - then you will not have a hassle. (Run heavy duty tubes too!)

The hard seat is crap that gets blown up in the press the same as the indicator switches on the BMW - Stop crying, get used to it and ride the thing!!

The GSC and suitability of the bikes: The limitation is NOT in the bikes! And everyone knew what his was in for up front. You made the CHOICE to go there. Read friend Piet's article "A LESSON IN CHOICES" on bmwmotorrad site. I get the impression there is some ego problems here too - lets all just humbly do our thing and when a mate needs help, be quick to offer. And if the hooligans leave you behind - they were not mates in the first place!

LET's RIDE!!
  14. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Amen my boet - amen on the bikes, abilities and ego's. Amen.

On the KTM's front rim - I have mates running above 2 bar on their fronts, and bent like crap from hitting stuff at speed. So its all relative to how fast you go and what you hit. I know John (Veemax) doesnt do slow technical stuff on his toomer, but does do high speed long distance and has bent his rims plenty of times on hard dirt roads.

The seat - well, if you got a tush like a baby, its gonna get sore. However, you can get used to anything. I liken it to the bicycling world. The leather hard pieces of plank cant be construed as soft. But once broken in (or your butt for that matter) over thousands of kays, then its comfortable! (likely,your nerves in your butt went dead).

So no worries. ANd again, the bikes can do it all. Its the rider.

And as Ricky said: "Is not the arrow. Is the Indian"
  15. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    Well we all the know the answer to these questions about if the bike was made for it or not.

The Hp2 certainly is made for extreme rough terain.

In their document "The New HP2 Enduro / Tecnical Features in Detail" BMW stated:

"Consistent lightweight design was the focus for all components of the new HP2 Enduro. Due to this, a kerb weight of as little as 196.5 kgs / 433 lbs (dry weight 175 kg / 386 lbs) was realised. The HP2 provides excellent ergonomics, nimble handling and easy manoeuvrability is also guaranteed in extremely rough terrain"

:evil
  16. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    The HP2 is still a 200 kg bike (and not a 250 at 100 kg), and for the stuff we are talking about here it will make a slight difference for sure. But I do not think that a rider without the ability to ride a 1200GS in these conditions will suddenly be blessed with skill just because he can afford the HP2. There is something in the arrow, but way more in the Indian! But if you are looking for a reason to get the HP2, this may get you past the wife.....
  17. blouvalk

blouvalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM 950. For tose who are interested. Phoned the guy's at Alfie Cox. They said to fit 525 exel front rim. Cicil Penny( CPR-Cape Town) did mine. Great job.Friendly guy.Did now 2 trips To Springbok and Rigtersvelt. No problem jet.
  18. tehJok3r

tehJok3r GS1200

Oddometer:
    aaaaa.... So getting the HP2 will not increase my skill :(
  19. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the KTM advice.

Yep. is the indian, not the arrow......

practice makes yer perfect. or better :D
  20. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    I have found that I am just as useless riding a BM. Did not work for me.... It's horses for courses (or tracks / trails / trials / roads). The right tool for the right job. And some mechanics know how to use the tools and some don't. Let's RIDE and have FUN..... We only become good buddies once we understand our limitations and live by them. Otherwise our buddies will sooner or later be on the receiving end of our stupidity and have to recover our bodies and bikes from awkward locations. Lets be good buddies and not do this kind of thing to the guys we still want to ride with tomorrow! Enoy!