1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Big Oregon!

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Humunn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    One of the hardest parts of writing a ride report is coming up with a title that is at least somewhat descriptive of the ride. Sometimes it is obvious and sometimes it takes awhile. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Living my entire life in the Pacific Northwest it is easy to take certain things for granted like the vast amount of public lands and wide open spaces we have access to, particularly on the east side of the mountains.<o:p></o:p>
    I was reminded of all we have last week when a group of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">rider</st1:personName>s descended on Central Oregon from nearly all corners of the U.S. including Florida, Georgia, Texas, San Jose, Vancouver&#8230;and even Bend. How easy it is to forget all you have until others tell you about what they have (or don&#8217;t have). We had several conversations about the 1,000 acre &#8220;park&#8221; where they ride in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State>. 1,000 acres? That is less than two square miles! We would cover 150 miles or more each day! :eek1<o:p></o:p>
    After hearing over and over again how big and beautiful and wide open the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Oregon</st1:place></st1:State> country is the RR title was obvious.<o:p></o:p>
    So, here we go&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    Wednesday night the pack meets for a pre ride get together. Gives everyone a chance to meet each other before three days on the trail.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Thursday morning up early. Shaking down bikes and gear in the hotel parking lot. Due to fire closures we will leave from here instead of our usual staging area a few miles south of town.<o:p></o:p>
    Here&#8217;s <st1:personName w:st="on">Steve</st1:personName> from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">San Jose</st1:place></st1:City>. <o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike </st1:personName>from <st1:State w:st="on">Georgia</st1:State>, Paul from <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State> and <st1:personName w:st="on">Keith</st1:personName> from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:country-region>. These boys are major adventure addicts. Celebrating <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike </st1:personName>and <st1:personName w:st="on">Keith</st1:personName>&#8217;s 40<SUP>th</SUP> BDs (any excuse for the wives, right?) they arrive last night in Central Oregon for a three day moto ride after attempting to summit Mt. Rainier and after spending a couple days rafting the Deschutes River!<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Brian</st1:personName> from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bend</st1:place></st1:City>. <st1:personName w:st="on">Brian</st1:personName> owns Atomic Moto [shameless plug]. See www.atomic-moto.com.<o:p></o:p>
    Darrin from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City> railing the big bike!<o:p></o:p>
    Robin from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City> running the chase truck.<o:p></o:p>
    Group shot with Bad Cowboy <st1:personName w:st="on">Dave</st1:personName> running sweep, fourth from left and me far right.<o:p></o:p>
    8 am kickstands are up for a little slab ride out of town, power lines and a hill climb.<o:p></o:p>
    Teaser vid:<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

More&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
  2. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Though I had planned to go on this ride for weeks, I almost didn't make it. As Greg says, it's big country out thar, and going either mechanically, physically, or logistically unprepared can leave you hosed in a big way. I don't screw around with prep, and my bike needed pre-trip maintenance in a big way. The day before leaving, my routine chain and sprocket change went Charlie Foxtrot due to a bent chain guide mount, chain guide, a sprocket that did not fit, and wheel bearings that were deemed "good" by the guy that laced my wheel, yet were marginal at best. No time to get parts...I ended up throwing some borrowed stuff on and hoping that I would not strand.

The pre- and early parts of rides like these always take a little time for me to loosen up. I always wonder who will be in the group, how they will be, if anyone will be a liability - or if I will be that liability. Rarely are any of these ever an issue, but if you're a "what if" guy (and I am) you think about it. In this case, not 10 minutes down the powerline and it was clear this was a good group. All were moving well, and once we cleaned the first hillclimb I exhaled, unclenched, and began to chill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BP
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Another hill climb vid. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">Mike </st1:personName>attacking it with a vengeance.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Heading south on power line gravel.<o:p></o:p>
    Have to pick up some slab for awhile. Fire precautions have closed the trail systems!<o:p></o:p>
    Further south on Hwy 27 at about Hwy 20.<o:p></o:p>
    Finally we get into the trees at least but still restricted to “surfaced” roads.<o:p></o:p>
    This makes for some fast riding. Our ave moving speed was well over 45 mph!<o:p></o:p>
    A few shots as we head up to Hole in the Ground. <o:p></o:p>
    I’m doing my best to get “artistic” pics but get no respect as a couple of these guys fly by me at 50 mph less than two feet away!<o:p></o:p>
    Panoramic vid of Hole in the Ground.<o:p></o:p>
    We drop down into the Hole…<o:p></o:p>
    And take a couple runs at this.<o:p></o:p>
    I go first to check it out. I’m expecting 18 inches of powdery talcum powder. Not trying very hard I make it a lot further than I expected. Hmmm…this might be doable, even in ultra dry conditions!<o:p></o:p>
    Darrin’s attempt on the 690 Enduro.<o:p></o:p>
    And <st1:personName w:st="on">Keith</st1:personName> gives it a shot. After he rolled in it we could tell where the wet spots were!<o:p></o:p>
    But he blew most of it off on the way down.<o:p></o:p>
    Time to move on we ride up and out of the Hole on the roller coaster “road” up to the top.<o:p></o:p>
    And head for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place> (in the distance).<o:p></o:p>
    More…<o:p></o:p>
  4. southforkspeedster

southforkspeedster koolaidless

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Yes Oregon, can't wait to get back. Hey Brian, good to see your out riding "early prep less stress". More please :lurk
  6. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    HA! Excellent - :freaky

MORE! :clap
  7. monrcar

monrcar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff... I bet more have failed on that first right turn out of Hole in the Ground than succeeded....
    --- Pic's and vids don't show just has soft, slick and steep it is, and I've certainly slid down that section.....

The riding in Central Oregon is hard to beat!
  8. NotAllWhoWanderRLost

NotAllWhoWanderRLost So Many Roads...

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing! :beer
  9. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:

Still need to work on those artistic pictures like you do so well at! Once in awhile I get lucky!
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Boy isn't that the truth!

Hope you enjoyed the Plateau...especially after the rains!
  11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Thanks for looking...more to follow soon!
  12. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Well here’s where my artistic inabili<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> really shows through but these are still pret<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> good pics for a crappy little camera!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    A few shots of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place>. This is a tuff ring which is basically the same as Hole in the Ground except it was formed in the middle of an ancient sea!<o:p></o:p>
    It is very impressive up close.<o:p></o:p>
    Posers<o:p></o:p>
    From ancient volcanic remnants to power lines. Got to love the transition! On our way to Derrick’s Cave.<o:p></o:p>
    Park the bikes and walk about a ¼ mile to the entrance here which is basically where the huge lava tube collapsed.<o:p></o:p>
    One side is an old civil defense site from the 50s.<o:p></o:p>
    There’s actually a mini tunnel you can crawl from this side over to the main cave. <st1:personName w:st="on">Keith</st1:personName> couldn’t resist.<o:p></o:p>
    On the other is the main part of the cave. It goes over a mile into the ground and gets VERY dark!<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike </st1:personName>and <st1:personName w:st="on">Keith</st1:personName> went to explore.<o:p></o:p>
    On the way out we ran into these fellas. Black powder shooters here to camp old s<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName>le.<o:p></o:p>
    Up next a quick rail into CV for the night!<o:p></o:p>
  13. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    We roll on into <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> mostly on old two track wagon roads.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Darrin is not too far behind me most of the time, lingering just beyond my dust plume. First corner stop after getting on the twis<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> wagon roads I notice <st1:personName w:st="on">Brian</st1:personName> is right on his wing, making “single track” out of two track. Could hear <st1:personName w:st="on">Brian</st1:personName> laughing over the motor noise and swear I could see him grinning from ear to ear through his helmet. This was some fun stuff! :clap<o:p></o:p>
    Too much fun riding and not enough time to take pics we finish the 20 or so miles into CV in time for happy hour and general BS session. :freaky<o:p></o:p>
    After a couple of beers and one of these the stories get really good and somehow we all rode Erzberg like Taddy B and David Knight. Amazing how that happens.<o:p></o:p>
    After a shower and chow we are all pret<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> beat and hit the rack early. Time to get ready for this tomorrow…<o:p></o:p>
  14. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Amazing how that happens" :lol3
  15. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:

You've been there...I can tell! :wink:
  16. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Morning day 2. Beautiful sunrise in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"><st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Coffee and breakfast. Not sure which one is more important.<o:p></o:p>
    Bike prep…<o:p></o:p>
    Getting organized…<o:p></o:p>
    And waiting for everyone else!<o:p></o:p>
    Normal plan today is to run south from CV down <st1:placeName w:st="on">Fandango</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Canyon</st1:placeType> to Paisley then turn north up into the <st1:City w:st="on">Fremont</st1:City> to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Silver</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place>. A couple of the guys were asking about the sand dunes so we added on the 50 mile round trip to take a peek at them.<o:p></o:p>
    On the way to the dunes we goof around at an alkali lake bed.<o:p></o:p>
    Then off to the dunes.<o:p></o:p>
    No need for a kick stand.<o:p></o:p>
    A couple of vids.<o:p></o:p>
    After horsing around at the dunes we turn back south and back track to Fandango.<o:p></o:p>
    Darrin grabbing the binders at a road crossing.<o:p></o:p>
    Looking south toward Fandango. That is St. Patrick mtn in the distance. It would be a reference point for a lot of the trip.<o:p></o:p>
    Up next, wild horses in the Fandango for sure but wild chickens???<o:p></o:p>
  17. Rainshadow

Rainshadow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  18. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

+1 :freaky
  19. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About time.....this happened weeks ago! Bring it! :freaky