Great Continental Divide Ride 2017

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dbradford, Aug 21, 2017.

1. dbradford

dbradford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I travel a lot for work...usually between 80 and 100 nights annually at my employer's expense. So, I rack up a lot of Holiday Inn points. I've got their highest membership level. Wes is the same way with his job, but he goes through Choice hotels.
  2. Hokem Malarky

Hokem Malarky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was awesome! Loved the drone footage. Reading through this makes me want to do the CDR again...
    dbradford likes this.
  3. Dreedr

Dreedr Ready to Roast

Oddometer:
    Came across you videos on YouTube. Great job.
    dbradford likes this.
  4. heffenut

heffenut Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. heffenut

heffenut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This may be the best movie I have ever seen!
    dbradford likes this.
  6. northof49

northof49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across your ride report last night. Watched the teaser and the wife and I sat down this morning with a pot of coffee, and was blown away with your footage, cinematography, and music!!
    Well done!!
    I plan a 7 to 10 day trip every year into northern Canada for friends and family. I make videos.... But, cell phones and beat up gopros don't come close to that drone footage!! Again... Well done!!
    dbradford likes this.
  7. bigwespig

bigwespig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enterprise was fantastic to work with. I told them the story of what happened and they had zero issues renting a van. It was considerably cheaper than U-haul or renting a truck even. The van was big enough to hang my hammock inside so I didn't need to get a room when I needed a rest. It worked well.
    Scott Parish likes this.
  8. bigwespig

bigwespig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmmm...... you must be referring to my extra large personality!!!!! Bahahahahahaha but yes I would agree the power and weight was a for sure combination for rubber wrecking. Plus it's so easy to wheelie that bike... and a little addictive.
  9. bigwespig

bigwespig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Believe me I would rather my stuff not have came apart as well. Honestly I had assumed they would install them quickly and we would just get on the road. That was not the case....
    TaZ9 likes this.
  10. bigwespig

bigwespig Adventurer

Oddometer:

MOAB THIS FALL FELLAS........
    Animal Instinct and dbradford like this.
  11. rebel346

rebel346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great RR and videos y'all!
    dbradford likes this.
  12. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I just finished watching your video and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was better than going to the movies. I've taken her on some of these trails and I've been on many others. Great aerial of Black Bear. I remember Stony Pass as being very stony. Thanks for putting this together.
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  13. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    A visit to the caprock is always cathartic for the soul.

A fine RR and a game-changing drone video all rolled into one is a special treat to stumble upon. Congrats on the 30K!

Regards,

Scott
    dbradford likes this.
  14. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    Creepy we reply one after another.

Tell Barb we said Howdy.
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same to Lois. Hope your holidays are happy.
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  16. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like a lot of others here on ADVrider, I have travelled extensively by motorcycle and have owned a lot of the more popular dual sport motorcycles, like the KLR, DR650, DRZ400, etc, etc. I have long been on the fence about buying a WR250R. Since you have a long experienced history with your's, I would be interested in your opinion on what makes it a worthy adventure bike, along with the pros and cons you have found with it in your travels. I currently have a much loved DR650, and recently sold a really nice DRZ400 to make room for my next bike, which might be a WR250R. I know a number of other riders that have owned the WR, and later sold them and moved up to larger, more powerful bikes. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Ride safe,

Taz9
    dbradford likes this.
  17. lucertola

lucertola Jonnum Media

Oddometer:
    Impressive commitment--both to the ride itself and to the RR. Thank you for the entertainment and inspiration.
    dbradford likes this.
  18. dbradford

dbradford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll do my best to give you my honest, yet admittedly biased opinion. I think it all depends on how you define "adventure." For me, that means long distance on as little pavement as possible in very remote areas. So, I value a bike that's lightweight, off road worthy, reliable, and low maintenance. I mostly ride alone. I want to be able to crawl out from underneath the bike and pick it up on my own with the possibility of a minor injury (It's happened more than once). The WR is the lightest of those you mentioned and 200 lbs lighter than a lot of "adventure bikes". Even the KLR seems huge to me. I've sat on a few, and they just feel ginormous. Despite the low weight, it has a steel subframe that is plenty strong for carrying lots of gear.

This rolls right into off road worthy. The weight is a big factor for me when the terrain deteriorates. Also, the WR also has fully adjustable suspension which I believe has more travel than the dual sports you mentioned. I went a step further and upgraded mine with a Go Race rebuild. Is it better than stock? Yes. Is it worth the full rebuild? I'm undecided. At the minimum, you should probably get heavier springs to account for the additional weight of luggage. It also takes the crashes really well. There isn't much I haven't been able to fix trailside with zip ties or duct tape.

Reliability is great which is probably not much different than the others you mentioned. In 30k miles, I have had the stator recall performed (wasn't having issues) and I replaced a cam chain tensioner at 24k miles. Speaking of the stator, it puts out 350 watts which is plenty good to run whatever accessories you need. Other than that, it's been standard wear items....chains, sprockets, chain sliders, tires, spark plugs, fork seals. I've only been stranded once, and that was my fault. I created a short and fried the battery due to some botched electrical work I did myself. I'm still running the stock 2008 fuel pump which all the internet experts say should have stranded me long ago. I was skeptical of EFI when I bought the bike...only had carbed bikes in the past. It's been flawless, and now I don't think I'd want to go back to a carburetor. The WR is very low maintenance. Oil changes every 3k miles. (I changed oil once during this trip) Valve checks/adjustments every 26k miles. (I've had 1 valve adjustment) These bikes are well documented to go 50K plus trouble free miles. There’s a fella on here somewhere with over 100k.

The WRR has great after market support as well. As such, you can address most of the cons pretty easily. The biggest cons that people come up with are not enough power, sucks on the highway, uncomfortable seat, and lacking fuel range. I have an aftermarket fairing (Britannia Composites) which makes highway runs doable. I consider big paved runs a means to an end. If that's your objective, this is the wrong bike. Also, I have a Seat Concepts seat, and and oversized IMS fuel tank. To make this an adventure bike, I would say you should at least address fuel range, seat, and wind protection. I think these mods actually make it a decent highway machine as long as you’re not 300lbs. The motor is pretty well balanced and vibes aren’t bad at all. I only want for more power on the highway, which again is not my objective and not what I consider adventure.

Dropping the gearing actually improved highway performance for me. The six speed tranny is plenty wide. I found that 6th is almost too tall in stock form, and I had to downshift frequently to 5th often in the hills or in a stiff headwind. Dropping the gearing improved 1st for off road crawling and made 6th more usable on highway. I lost no top end speed.

I'll admit, I've thought about sizing up for more power. I've considered all the bikes you mentioned. I shy away from the DRZ as it seems the 5 speed tranny is too narrow for my purposes. Also, I want to stick with EFI. The modern liquid cooled EFI bikes are very efficient which I find handy when you can’t carry much fuel. (WRR gets 70 mpg which drops maybe 5 or 10 when loaded)

The KLR is just too damn big for me. I put it in the same class as the BMW GS, Honda AT, KTM “Adventure” bikes, etc. (The category being big ass bikes I won’t buy)

As for the DR and even the XR, I’ve thought about it, but I feel like I’d be stepping back 30 years. I would find an update to either of these platforms rather intriguing (liquid cooling and EFI for starters.)

Some additional resources:

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/why-i-believe-the-wr250r-is-the-perfect-bike-for-me.1065265/

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/09/yamaha-wr250r-adventure-bike-conversion-project

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/yamaha-wr250r-mods-1/

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/rm-rider-exchange/2015-yamaha-wr250r-adv-dual-sport-bike-build/
  19. 1/2crazedbikr

1/2crazedbikr Go Big or Go Home!

Oddometer:
    Wow! Sir, you are an inspiration. I turned 60 last July, and I have many more adv rides planned, including the CDT. But I don't know if I will be riding anything but a Trike at 76! Rock on!:clap
    dbradford likes this.
  20. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I have been talking with other WR250R owner/riders over the years, and most of your comments
    fall in line with their experiences and opinions. I was out at 3 Step Hideaway this past September and did a long ride with Mark "Big Dog" Sampson, and Kenny "Road Dad" Muller, both have done a number of long distance travels on their WR250R's and Road Dad has put more than 130,000 miles on his. Scott "Dingweeds" Stevenson, a good friend and owner of 3 Step Hideaway has over 60,000 on his and I forget what Mark has on his WR. Like you, their rides have been an inspiration for many of my travels. It was Big Dog's very early ride reports that led me to the ADVrider site back in 2008.

I would keep my DR650 for longer trips that involve connecting highway routes, and use the WR250R for more of the back road trips. For the price, I really liked the DRZ's I have owned over the years, but as we all know, the close ration tranny just gets annoying, always looking for that 6th gear. There is no one bike that does it all, but I have made up my mind, with the help of your report to try and find a low mileage WR and see if it could be that second bike in the garage.

Thanks again for the ride report and sharing your experiences with the WR250R.

Ride Safe,

Taz9

DSCN4406 (3).JPG