1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Great Lakes ORV GPS map

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Mikeeep, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. cra_fizzer

cra_fizzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting. As long as you don't have to deal with Basecamp it might be ok...
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Top notch product. I've used it for years. Trails are part of the background map. Gets regular updates to keep it current.

I use it for scouting and mapping DS and adventure routes in the region - and I've mapped thousands of miles with it. Best product around for that too.

I also recommend it to people that ride some of my published tracks because it confirms to the rider that they are supposed to be turning on or off of a trail versus being on a road.
    Cymonic likes this.
  4. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What comes on the memory card, GPX files or something else?

I'm a member of the "too cheap to buy a GPS so I use an old phone" crowd. Thinking about hitting the UP for a couple of weeks on the big bike this summer to futz around.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You can get the product on a card that you can insert into your Garmin GPS. It is a set of maps similar to what you get from Garmin or others that provide GPS maps.

Trails and roads are on the map as well as other useful information. Very nice product for following trails, routing on trails, or boondocking where you need some good backroad detail.

Or you can get the product as a download and then load maps into your GPS as you might do with other map products on your computer.

Phones work great for roads, but having maps of trails as the background for a GPS unit is a great asset. GPS units that will handle maps like this are quite inexpensive these days - especially used ones.

If you are headed for the UP, you might want to take advantage of some GPS mapped paths there.

Sample, with a track laid on top of it.

[​IMG]
    TripleTriples likes this.
  6. TripleTriples

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I've trolled your site and the UPAT thread here endlessly. Lots of good info there.

As to the devices, I've been using Locus on Android for navigation via GPX tracks for a while now and, to be honest, I find that I like it better than the last Garmin unit that I tried.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Each to their own preferences. For me, and those that ride my DS tracks, it is much better for the rider to see the trails depicted on the background map. This is particularly true when the paths go on and off trails and roads. Otherwise, some people continue on the wrong path before they catch their mistake and have to turn around. Of course, some people might not be bothered by that too much. :dunno
  8. Cymonic

Cymonic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vvmapping is an awesome product that I've also used for the last 5 or 6 years and have recommended it to many others also. As Cannonshot mentioned it overlays with the existing roads on your gps, you can easily identify what type use the trail is used for by way of its color.
    I highly recommend this product if your'e riding in Michigan, very inexpensive IMO for what you get.
  9. Layton

Layton Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also use the vvmapping in Michigan and it’s a great product.

We took a first time trip to Hatfield McCoy in Kentucky and West Virginia this summer and I purchased the vvmapping for that area too and it really helped out.
  10. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have purchased VVs snowmobile map and like Cannon says, it is a great product. You can import the base image into Locus. Below is a screenshot of the sled trails lightly overlayed on a street map. It looks much cleaner zoomed in where you would actually use it. PM me if you want some more info as I don't want to overtake this thread.
    Screenshot_20191224-075312.png
  11. TripleTriples

Oddometer:
    Kinda thought it might. Locus is by far the best nav tool I've used. Love it.