Great motorcycling compliments

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by AzB, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Considering how the trip had been I only made it 12 miles up the Haul Road before the little voice in my head started really yelling "you'll be sorry if you do". Fun was had by me and I have a good reason to go back. Also consider, I'd purchased the bike the year before (used) and other than a 10 mile test run I had not ridden it either. I think a 12,000 shake-down test ride is pretty adventuresome:D

Shall we say spoons at 10 paces?:rofl
  2. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just pulled into a parking spot and some idjit askis if this is a Ural.

[​IMG]
    It says Kawasaki all over it.
    I said no, it's Japanese.

VAC
  3. SheRidesABeemer

SheRidesABeemer Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer:
    People want to engage you in conversation because they see you have something interesting
    When you know little about a subject, you do your best to pull together an opening question.
    Give him credit that he knew about Ural's, he knew they are sidecars. He knew you had a sidecar.
    Life goes more smoothly when you assume peoples intentions are good.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wrong thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453338&page=304

So, how that Ural treating you? :lol3

You should have pointed out that Urals don't have that cool diamond plate Beer cooler your bike does!:evil
  5. IgoFar

IgoFar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While camping in the campground at Crater Lake in Oregon, I was talking with a couple. When I told them that once I crossed into Oklahoma on the way home to Virginia, I will have ridden in all of the lower 48 states, the woman said it was really neat to meet someone with such an " adventurous spirit ".
  6. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should wash your bike. Wasn't it clean last year when you bought it?

I enjoy letting the neighbor's 7-yr old boy check it out. Last time I showed him how to mount it "grab it here and here, put your left foot on the peg, now climb up." Next time, I'll show him how to start it :evil
  7. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:

yeah they will never learn........:freaky
  8. Owyhee

Owyhee Enlarged to show detail

Oddometer:
    I was riding my Idaho-plated Transalp around in the country in the summer of 1998 beginning in northern Idaho.

In Louisiana I stopped to get gas off an interstate somewhere in the middle of the state. Some guy getting gas noticed my loaded-down Idaho-plated Transalp and remarked to me, "Iowa!"

I replied, "Not Iowa, Idaho."

Him: "Iowa?"

Me: "Idaho."

Him: "Iowa! You're a long way from home. Ride safe."

Me: "Thanks!"

-Owyhee
  9. manic mechanic

manic mechanic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe not so much a compliment, but real concern for me, as most everybody at work knows I ride more than the fashion bikers, and longer into the season-of-poor-riding. I've been working 12-hour nights, 6 nights a week for most of this year. The other "day", just before I'm going home, temps in low 30's, had been drizzling and foggy. The oncoming dayshift folks took the time to remind me to be very careful on the way home, as the roads were slick and there were cars in the ditch. As I got to the parking lot and get the bike started, gearing up, more folks made the same comments.

What was kinda interesting in a funny way was, on my way home I observed in the mirrors most of the people were staying wa-a-a-y far back behind me. Also there were times the road was wet, and times the road looked wet, and times when the direction the bike and I were traveling were not necessarily the same direction as the bike was pointing. Ultimately I did arrive safely at home, but did see other vehicles with too-many-wheels parked in strange places and in strange attitudes.
  10. not2fast

not2fast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few weekend ago I pull into the Turkey Hill gas station in beautiful downtown Pine Grove PA (in the absolute middle of no and where) on my fairly dirty and dusty grey 02 DL1000 sporting a $20 nylon Wal-mart bag on the luggage rack and there it was. The most stunnig motorcycle I have seen in a while. A bright shiny 2012 Ducati Pike's Peak Multistrata. I am in awe and about speachless. I ride up to the other side of the pump, its a singe pump with service on both sides, and when I take my helmet off the Ducati guy says "Nice bike ! ", almost like he meant it and then tells me to watch out for deer as two had jumped out in front of him that morning.

What a great guy. My V-Strom is nice? Maybe compared to a 1975 yamaha enduro but compared to his ride the only thing in common is they both have two wheels and an engine.

I was so pumped that a Ducati guy liked my bike that I wanted to go home and wash my DL for the first time this year. Luckily for me that feeling went away when I got to my garage. That's the nice part of owning a Strom. Dirt and dust can make it look better!

Terry
  11. TebKLR

TebKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oct 1, 2010 found me in Mesa AZ buying a brand new desert camo Ural Gear Up from Logan's Valley Motorcycles (fabulous experience by the way!).

On the way back to Wisconsin:

What kinda bike is that?
    It's a Ural
    Who makes it?
    Ural
    No, what country?
    Russia
    No SHIT!
    What year is it?
    No SHIT!
    Where are you headed?
    Back to Wisconsin
    No SHIT!
    How fast will it go?
    About 65, but it doesn't like it
    No SHIT!
    Did you paint it yourself?
    Nope; factory paint
    No SHIT!

The VERY best so far, though....
    Stopped for coffee at the local Kwik Trip on the way to work one morning this summer, and I'm sipping and smoking a ciggy. I hear from behind me "Ooral!", Ooral!" Russian immigrant. "Is from my country!" "Is from my city". Turns out the guy used to live in Irbit, not too far from the Ural factory. He had tears in his eyes.....wish I had gotten his name.....
  12. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    I was at a gas station years ago, back when I was a young 'un, filling up my 197X kawi 650CS. I had about a hundred lbs of gear on it headed to a tent rally for beemers.

A guy in one of those ubiquitous (back in the early 90's) Dodge Caravan things is pumping gas across the pump from me. His kids are screaming and fighting. His wife, hair stuck to her face in the Florida heat, looks ready to commit Sepuku or just bolt out of the van and keep running.
    He looks over at me and says, "man, you're living the dream aren't you?"
    That bike was a massive pile of shit, and my gear was all army surplus stuff. I never felt so proud or sure of myself and my choices before then. :lol3
  13. Big Red

Big Red Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just out running errands a few weeks ago, down at Officeworks getting some invoices printed up. I came out to my bike and there was an old(er) bloke leaning against a pole, sweat on his brow (it was a beautiful sunny day) who jumped at me when I headed for my bike and said "Oh man, I've been waiting half an hour for you to turn up, I love your bike, it reminds me of and old Beemer I had once, what is it...?"

We chatted in the sun for nearly another half an hour... I just wish he'd struck up the conversation before I had my jacket on, I was boiling by the time we went our separate ways! But it was great to hear some old stories of youth and adventure, and have someone appreciate the engineering of my old Honda, rather than baulk at the sight of her cosmetics!
  14. NWT John

NWT John Frozen in the North

Oddometer:
    While bringing home my XL600R with a dead ignition in my pickup a RD500 passed me, the signalled, pulled on to the shoulder and let me pass. He caught me again, pointed at the bike and motioned to the back of the truck.
    I though I had lost a strap, so I pulled over. The fellow on the RD got off and told me " Nice bike, I've wanted one for years, how much do you want for it."
    I argued with him for about 15 minutes that I was not selling it. He even tried to put a buisness card in my pocket in case I changed my mind.
    He didn't get the point that I like it and it was not for sale.
    But it was a nice compliment to the bike. I probably get 3 or 4 offers a year to sell it, but I love the old thing.:evil
  15. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    +1
  16. tfitch03

tfitch03 Turkey

Oddometer:
    Heading to Luckenbach, TX my buddy on his R1100GS and me pulled over at a truck stop to fix a flat tire on his bike. One of the mechanics comes over to check out our bikes. He promptly yells at his buddy: "Hey Joe! Come over here and check out this motorcycle. It's one of those ones with an airplane engine in it!" Referring of course to the boxer.
  17. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    A group of 5 headed to Bloomsburg over the summer stopped in for breakfast in a one light rural town. Of course, ATGATT, with camel packs and hoses everywhere. A young 18 year old country girl said in amazement to us, " where are you from and what and who are you"? A quick witted rider responded, "we are from earth, just like you"!
  18. vertikal

vertikal x = a

Oddometer:
    Jim...I have an R80 same color same year...after getting the mechanics sorted out, looking now to get a repaint. I currently have a Rifle fairing on the bike which looks OK but I really like the looks of your cafe style fairing. Can you tell me who is the manufacturer of the fairing on your bike.Looks sweet!

sty
  19. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    One of the days it was raining in the morning, a guy says: "You are really brave."

I stop him, ask "Is that what really is going on in your head?"

"No, you are fucking insane."

"Thought so! Have a great day!:D"
  20. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    :roflalmost 12:30 AM and now Im laughin. Thanks