Great On-Line Motorcycle Videos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Global Rider, May 11, 2002.

1. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    I don't know if the following link has already been posted in the past, but if you have High Speed Internet, the videos on the site are worth downloading.

The videos were taken by a group of three riders from Norway while in the Alps.

You can pick which ones to download. All 9 of them took 29 minutes for 219 Mb. (had a friend with HS interent burn them to a CD-R for me)

The Extreme Motorcycle Video Web Experience
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:

Maybe I'm missing something. What was so extreme about them? It didn't seem like they were pushing too hard. I watched 3 or 4 of them, and the countryside is gorgeous!

Thanks for posting, GR.
  3. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean, Eric. If you pulled some of their moves over here, which by the way is normal going in the Alps, you'd get nailed by either a car or the police.

We are too wrapped up by the word "safety" over here. I don't know how many times I've heard "thats not a very safe thing to do". Hell if most people used judgement and common sense, we could get away with far more so called "unsafe" moves and have less accidents in the process. But that would take thought.

There was one scene where the rider is passing a car in a hairpin. It doesn't look as bad as it does because the rider can actually see if someone if coming up the road. Car drivers never seem to get bent out of shape in Europe over a move like this. If you tried that here, the driver would accelerate and squeeze you over. The old "you can't get ahead of me because I'm suffering from a short pecker" attitude.

Once I came across a temporary traffic light in a construction zone in Italy. The one where only one lane is open and it is shared by traffic going both ways; the reason for the lights. I was stopped about five cars back when the lead car waved his hand out the window motioning me to move to the front of the line right at the lights. Do you think you'd actually see this happen over here. Never mind that you'd blow by all those slow cars anyways.

Back to watching the videos. I'm getting all excited about my tour already.
  4. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    You're right Fish. The "Extreme" part came from the name on their web site.

You can't afford to get too extreme in the Alps unless you have a death wish. There are many areas with no guard rails and steep drop offs. If you miss a turn and are moving at a good clip, you can be airborne for quite a long time before impacting.

As for the riders in the videos, they're not going all out because they're smart. Looking at their riding and their entries into the turns, they are very smooth. You can hear the camera bike grinding the peg or exhaust system every once in a while

Scenes that look like they are taking chances only appear that way. The camera is fixed and mounted low. The riders have a far better view and have depth perception. We as viewers, don't.