Great River Road

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by ajayhawkfan, May 6, 2007.

1. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    As an FYI to everyone, below Baton Rouge, the levee system is controlled by the Ponchartrain Levee District and is patrolled by their police. Due to the damage caused by motor vehicles and the sensitivity of the levee system to any kind of damage, there are serious fines being imposed for riding on the levees now. If you remember the Hurricane Katrina mess in New Orleans, this was caused primarily due to levee failures, so the agencies down here are very serious in not allowing driving on the levees to avoid any damage.

At Mississippi River high water times, the levees are saturated with water and tend to seep in the "dry" or road side, so any weak spots caused by driving on them can be very serious, leading to failures.

Please stay on the roads that are on either side of the river, and not on the levees.

If you get to the Donaldsonville Bridge, on the east side of the river several miles south of the bridge you will run across Hymel's restaurant. Great fresh seafood and a favorite local watering hole that has been there forever.

If you really want to do some great off-roading around southern Louisiana come over and visit the Louisiana Dual Sport Riders website and boards, and we can point you in the right direction, and probably will ride with you also !

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/home.html

Doug
  2. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Ride Report?
  3. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    It was an incredible trip. I started in Grafton IL and road to the headwaters then then south to Kansas City. It was a total of 2250 miles. I was not on as much gravel as I hope riding up the river because I wanted to ride a close to the river as possible and visit the different river towns. The towns, bluffs and the activity along the river is worth seeing. From the headwaters to home I was on gravel about half the time and alphabet highway the rest. The scenery is beautiful the entire way up and back.

I have now done the upper part now I want to ride from Grafton to the Gulf to see the rest.

Here is a link the my pictures and it has a map showing where they were taken. http://picasaweb.google.com/ajayhawkfan/GreatRiverRoadTrip629To7707

I wrote a on the local KC forum while riding. http://www.rideforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=347
  4. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    Great pics Jayhawk! And you found Dugway road, too!
  5. minnie pearl

minnie pearl gladetop adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jayhawk fan:
    Nice report and pics...I've thought about riding the Mississippi river by crossing every bridge or ferry I come to then staying as close to the river as possible after every crossing. Did you find any ferry crossings at any point? The big rivers of our continent fascinate me for some reason mostly thinking about how much commerce and travel they afforded the earlier generations that settled this great nation.

One of the more fascinating spots in the U.S. for me is the confluence of the Mississippi and the Ohio down near Wickliff, KY. Not sure why, there's just something there that fascinates me standing out on that point of land.

another Jayhawk fan (BSME 1981):freaky
  6. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I crossed the Mississippi River on a Ferry at Winfield, MO and then crossed the Illinois River on another Ferry to a point a little North of Grafton, IL. Those were my only crossings.

However, There is a Ferry that crosses the Mississippi at Grafton to a landing North of the St. Charles Airport that I have used in the past.

I have seen Ferry's at the following in the past (I don't know if they are still operational): Ste. Genevieve, MO; Hickman, KY; St. Francisville, LA; Pointe A La Hache, LA. I am sure there are more but those are the ones I remember.
  7. GlobalGirl

GlobalGirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are a couple of photos from my trip last summer along the great river road, in northern Iowa. It's really a beautiful area, especially if you go along the Mississippi Wildlife Refuge. It doesn't look like the flat prairie of Iowa at all, and is really peaceful and quiet. The road is paved and twist.

Attached Files:

8. GlobalGirl

GlobalGirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here's the other photo of the Upper Mississippi Wildlife Refuge, as seen from my BMW 650 windshield

Attached Files: