Great Western Trail Tracks Wanted bits and pieces OK!!!!

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Buddy_Holly, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easiest way is to just push and hold Enter for a second. Then in pop-up scroll to Icon in top left corner and change it to Gas pump, Hotel, or Knife&Fork so you won't forget what it was. For remote gas stations, I get their phone number so people can call and make sure they are Open and have gas. I will do all the editing for you if you have trouble, just push Enter.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got NatGeo Topo for Utah. Spent all day trying to find route of GWT on it. We have it correct in the south, but just like what was pointed out much earlier, we have it way off north of Hwy 6 but it is mostly hiking trails. Not sure how close we can get on dirt roads.

Attached is gpx file os what I found.

Attached Files:

3. wallache

wallache Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The river crossing south of Bartlett Dam is closed every spring (I think) for eagle nesting. Techincally, the GWT goes from Bartlett Dam road, down Camp Creek wash, to Rio Verde. However, the Forest Service just finished a pipe fence vehicle barrier where the wash meets the river. It's possbile to get around it, but probably not very fun on a loaded adventure bike.

The next gas after Clarksdale or Camp Verde is in Cave Creek. Or, there is gas in Fountain Hills at AZ87. If you take 4 Peaks road to A-cross road, there is a gas station a few miles north on AZ188 at Tonto Basin.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean "technically"? Is is marked in the area?
  5. wallache

Oddometer:
    There were signs up. I haven't been back out there since the fence was completed.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know any other areas with signs? I found them off and on from Camp Verde to Bryce.
  7. wallache

Oddometer:
    I've followed the GWT signs from Cave Creek to Parks, but beyond that I'm unsure of the "official" route. Here is a couple of google map links of the route that I am sure of:

Parks to Dugas:
    http://g.co/maps/e9kxj
    The offical route actually bypasses Jerome and takes the Smiley Rock Trail to the West of Jerome. Its not big bike friendly and not shown on Google

Dugas to Cave Creek:
    http://g.co/maps/3rcnk

Hope this helps
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I was told about that rocky section by an old friend but didn't get a chance to ride it. The GWT for motorycles needs to go from gas to gas and also motel to motel. That is why I found a great trail through Jerome. No gas but a great over night spot. Then through Williams.

Took a while to find Parks (Williams). I noticed the signs while following what I thoght was the route but I don't think I could have just followed signs. Many intersections without signs.

How was it marked from Camp Verde down to Cave Creek?

The signs seemed to stop near the south Rim then picked up again near Jacob Lake.
  9. wallache

Oddometer:
    The whole trail is marked pretty poorly. There are generally GWT stickers on the fiberglass route markers, but those are rare. There is usually a large metal sign at the major intersections, which is easy to miss when you are cruising along on a bike.

These pictures should help with the routing of the northern portion. This sign was between Perkinsville and Parks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also took a picture of the same sign and so did big Dog. There is another one up where it croses Hwy 180. I also have way points for both signs.
  11. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Pantah, can you post your GPS tracks for what you just rode?
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Yes, please show us some tracks. Very hard to visualize what you are talkinig about.
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    NO we need GPS tracks so we can post it so other people can follow it. Scott can probably follow you verbage and make a track on GE but actual Active Log is always best to be error proof. Others know it was ridden, what date and what speed.

If you don't have a GPS just tell us. But I would never never ride with out one at $150 for a 76Cx at WestMarine.com why not?
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have MapSource?
  15. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I agree with Jerry, GPS tracks tell us a lot that photos and text descriptions can not. I'd like to see all the places where you had to turn around and details like that, which are obvious in an unedited GPS track. I'll import the GPS track into Google Earth and see tons more, including possible alternate ways to go.
  16. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    That's correct. That's why we like tracks so much!
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can already tell I can't spell, and reading is not much better. However I can read maps.

If you have a larger Data Card in your 60Cx, and have it set to record Active Log on data card, just push "Menu" twice, go to "Setup", go to Interface, go down to USB Mass Storage, then enter.

Then use Explorer on you PC to find your Garmin and then "GPX folder, then copy the files with the names of the dates you rode and just e-mail them to me and we can see every where you rode, what worked and what didn't, andn much easier understand your descriptions.

If you don't have your 60 set up to record Active Log on Data Card (for shame), do the next best thing. Hopefully you have your Track setup to "Wrap when full". If so we can see what ever the Active Log still has in it since you last cleared it.

Again, do you have Mapsource? If so plug in your 60Cx, open a new Mapsource file, click the Icon with the Up Arrow, It should find your 60 and show serial number, check the "Tracks" box and then click "Receive".

You should see a bunch of tracks titled Active Log, Active Log 001, etc.Save that file. It will default to a .gdb which is fine to e-mail to me ([email protected]). If you want to post it, you must save it as a .gpx by selecting .gpx in the drop down box at bottom.

Several inmates have ridden the section you rode today and posted tracks, however none have provided such a good description. Looking forward to riding that after I check from Mexico up to Cave Creek.

Heading back to Carson city for two days (off line). Check in when I get back.
  18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think emailed Jerry a gpx file of my active log Bloody Basin/Seven Springs etc. I am not sure, though.

Basically, I imported my tracklog from the device to Basecamp. Then I transferred it to Garmin Connect and downloaded it back to my mac as a gpx file. Then I copy/pasted to an email. Hope that works.
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK I emailed one to Hogwild too.
  20. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Yep, that worked! I got it into Google Earth and looked at the track closely. It goes from a Shell station in Cave Creek to the 17 freeway (Bloody Basin exit) near Cordes Lake. Looks like all easy roads. I only saw one place where you went out and turned around and came back (up a mountain towards a radar dome). I didn't see any place you went in a sand wash, other than crossing many of them. Is this track what you described above, or something else?

I've attached the GPX file here.

Attached Files: