1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Greece in end of March?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tagesk, Jan 9, 2010.

1. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    We would like to ride across Greece in the last half of March. We would like to ride this route.
    Are there parts on this route that you would not advice at this that of the year?

Context: My passenger was born before 1950 and she doesn't like riding on ice or in snow.

[TaSK]
  2. atermon

atermon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    last half of March chances are you won't be getting any snow or ice.
    there are mountains in the region that do get snow covered but you probably will not be climbing that high in altitude unless you want to.
    a week is more than I would spend, and Thessaloniki is the biggest town in northern Greece. avoiding it is a decision?

it's been a really weird winter so far, we spent all Christmas time and up to now north of 15 Celsius. hardly a winter you could say.
  3. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    When we ride, we like to see "other things". So when we went to Spain last year, we
    didn't visit Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo, Granada, or any other place with a name we had heard before.
    We loved it!

We won't be visiting Creta either, or Rhodos, or Athen, ... you get the idea. I'd love to visit Acropolis, but
    not in my riding gear and boots, carrying a helmet.

We don't camp so we spend every night in a village or a town. We meet people, eat good food, and enjoy vacation.
    Walking the streets of Thessaloniki or Athen doesn't fit the bill.

If we can cross Greece as outlined, we'll enter Turkey and ride down the coast. Then, find a ferry back to Greece (from Izmir?),
    cross Greece again in the south, and return by boat to Italy.

Sounds like a good plan to you?

[TaSK]
  4. atermon

atermon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now see your point.
    depending on exactly where you go, there may be a lot less people and places operating during March than in summer.
    just letting you know in case you have made accommodation planning without taking that into consideration.
    my guess though is that if your a little flexible you won't have any problems whatsoever.

as far as getting a ferry from Turkey to Greece, I don't think there is any direct one.
    from Turkey to "continental" Greece that is.
    they usually connect the far eastern islands, Mitilini or Xios with the turkish coast. you can then take the usual ferry to Piraeus.

by southern Greece you mean Peloponisos?
    if so the E65 (Korinthos to Patra) is a really bad road with a nasty death toll, avoid it in any way possible.
  5. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    We don't want to book in advance if it can be avoided. Maybe the first night if we don't arrive in the morning.

All mornings we look at the weather and ask the host where we stay for a recommendation 100 - 200 km ahead.
    Or, if the food was excellent, we stay another night and ask for a recommendation 300 - 400 km the next day.
    You get the idea.

Our Moudus Operandus is based on a belief that meeting two persons liveing 100 km apart is as valuable as
    meeting two who lives 1.000 km apart.
    And because we don't feel like visiting monuments etc (on these trips - we live in Italy, remember) it isn't so
    important where we ride. As long as we ride, the people are interesting, and the food nice.
    What more can you ask for?

I'll keep the E65 in mind; thank you!

[TaSK]
  6. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    OK, that's it.
    I've had a look at the time it takes to go by boat across the ocean, and we have decided to drop it.
    We'll save Turkey for next year.

That means we'll have three parts. Going east, going south, and then going west. The map is (still) here.

The only (paper) map I could find here was the red Michelin. It is 1:700.000 becuase it includes an awful lot
    of water. You know of a (paper) map at about 1:250.000 that will cover more land and less sea?

And, sorry to have forgotten: Best wishes for the new year to all my Greek friends!

[TaSK]
  7. GreeKKTiNoS

GreeKKTiNoS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ciao sono sempre Io ! <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Adesso capisco meglio cosa vuoi fare.<o:p></o:p>
    Se mi permetti, vorrei suggerirti qualche cosina piccola.<o:p></o:p>
    1 Passando fuori della cita di Kastoria al Nord ci sono due laghi. Si chiamano piccola e grande Prespa.<o:p></o:p>
    Fai un salto, sei a due passi. C è un villaggio la che si chiama Psarades (pescatori). La poi affittare una barchetta e vedere gli uccelli e li antichi monasteri che si trovano sulla riva del lago.<o:p></o:p>
    2 Vedo che hai scelto Mani. Il punto piu a sud della penisola Balcanika. La fine del mondo per gli antichi Greci. Un posto che amo. <o:p></o:p>
    Non ti fermare la ! <o:p></o:p>
    Continui fino al sud Vathia, Porto Kajo ecc Quando finisce la strada continui mezzo ora fino al faro a piedi. La dove lasci la moto c è una taverna. <o:p></o:p>
    3 Al ritorno prendi l altra strada (non quella che hai fatto per venire) Passi per Itylo, Stoupa, Kardamili, Kalamata.<o:p></o:p>
    4 Passando da Sparta poi fare un salto veloce a Mistra. Di la è partito l ultimo imperatore per difendere la cita. (Paleologos) <o:p></o:p>
    5 Poi salti antica Olimpia! Passi cosi vicino &#8230; E un vero peccato non fermarti ! <o:p></o:p>
    Queste sono 5 cosine facili, facili che non cambiano la idea centrale ! <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
  8. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    If you check the map you'll see that I have incorporated all your suggestions.

Grazie mille! Ci vediamo?

[TaSK]
  9. Blackbert

Blackbert Factory Rambler

Oddometer:
    As for the roadmap, this might be of interest?
  10. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
    Looks like an awesome route ....... you get to see many historic places and avoid the well known big cities.

While you in Konrinthos, check out the submergable briges at the ends of the Korinth canal ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submersible_bridge ). Very interesting to see when a ship is passing.

Looks like Patras is your last stop, where you will be catching the ship back to Italy. There is a brand new museum that has just opened in Patra if you interested in archeology and history.

Either way ..... riding bikes, exploring a new county especially when you don't speak the language IS AN ADVENTURE and I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Soto
  11. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Excellent - thank you!

[TaSK]
  12. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    We'll spend time before we go so that we at least can pronounce the names of places.

Our experience is that asking for directions is not a problem even if you don't know the language.
    But if you can't tell them where you want to go, things get harder :rofl

There is a ferry from Petras to Bari that departs at 18:00 and arrives at 08:30. Then we have only 800 to ride
    and we're home. This way we can set aside a single day (and a night) to get home. Leaves us more
    time in Greece.

Thank you!
  13. GreeKKTiNoS

GreeKKTiNoS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ma certo !
    E sempre un piaccere...
    :thumb

Ps
    Plus, se ti serve altro poi contare su di noi...
  14. Madv

Madv Zavarakatranemia

Oddometer:
  15. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
  16. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    That, Sir, is a deal. I'll send you a PM with details.

[TaSK]
  17. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    As the bike has almost 140.000 km on it, and the original clutch and slave cylinder, I think it is prudent to
    get hold of a list of BMW dealers in Greece.
    Do you have one (preferably with GPS locations, if at all possible).

[TaSK]
  18. Madv

Madv Zavarakatranemia

Oddometer:
    check this:
    http://index.pois.gr/poicard.asp?POI_ID=9

just click on the nav icon you use
  19. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
  20. debseed

debseed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if I understood this quote, but highlights: Mani :clap; Mistra :clap Olympia :clap , and try to get in Napflion and Epidavros.