Greg crashed, Bob flatted, and I got hit by a car: An Adventure Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by inte, Apr 14, 2004.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    ... and then Bob flatted again, in a BIG way.

(Greg, this happened after you split off at the end of the day so read on for the exciting conclusion to our ride...)

The players:
    - Greg (KTM 950)
    - Bob (KTM 950
    - Jon ("inte" - KTM 640 Adv)

This ride evolved like this - Greg had been doing some exploring out in Pioneer Town & up to Big Bear from there & I was wanting to join one of these excursions. Bob had just come off the Jimmy Lewis riding course and was in the area, so he (with all his newly-enhanced riding skills) was along for the day also. We all decided to meet in Hemet near Bob's hotel.

I decided to take the long way around to hit the scenic route - it was cold & pretty foggy in spots, but well worth it...

Hwy 74

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last part of this road (or beginning depending on which way you're going) has some dramatic views of the Lake Elsinore area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Around 8am I rolled into Hemet and we met at a Denny's - talked bikes, looked over maps, and made a waitress jealous over how we were going to spend our day...

[​IMG]

From there is was east (you'll have to consult the map and the end of the report, or Greg for details on the roads ...). We hit a fun dirt road with a few little water crossings here & there (Greg should have photos of the water crossings later). We stopped at one point & noticed a fire in the distance - given the fires in So Cal recently, this isn't to be taken lightly...

Greg calls in the fire from his sat phone:

[​IMG]

The snow in the background is Big Bear - 8000'. We're actually going to go all the way around the mountain through the desert & then up the back

[​IMG]

You can see some of the road we just came up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continue on.

After a very windy ride through the windmill fields off the 10 near Desert Hot Springs, we get on the 62 (?) and head towards Joshua Tree. 30 miles or so short of that it's a gas stop, then off to the ex-movieset of Pioneer Town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"There ain't room for the two of us in this town..."

[​IMG]

Obligatory bump in the road photo op. Point-and-shoot digitals are NOT designed for action photos... :umph

Greg

[​IMG]

Bob

[​IMG]

Me

[​IMG]

The nastiest part of the ride were just that - nasty. Rocks ... very, up. No photos...

Parked after...

[​IMG]

...this water crossing. Greg's got the photo of Bob & I seeing who's bike will throw more water on the other person...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon after, we entered the east part of Big Bear Lake - but not before I came around a corner & saw a big orange KTM at an odd angle in the scrub a few feet of the road ... no photos (Greg, we got your back man... :evil )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old mine ...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...then came the (1st) flat. Between the three of us, we got rolling again ... for a while at least. (Good shot for the "scenic repairs" thread a while back...?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be updating one of the tire threads later ... can't recommend Kings tires for off road...

[​IMG]

Stopped at Fawnskin for snacks & to get a map to help us complete the ride down the hill

[​IMG]

AND ... when we were completing the ride down the hill, a Nissan impeded my progress. No injuries - thank God for disposable trucks - my plastic gas tank dented the bumper. Glad this guy wasn't driving my GMC.

Fortunately I had my GPS running and the track log shows my average speed on this entire road was only 16.15 mph - TOP speed was 20.0 and low speed was 7.4. The guys driving was pretty young & I guess he was trying to impress his girlfriend or something by sliding corners...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dude, I think I scratched my bike...

[​IMG]

ah, whatever ... I'm not leaking fuel ... insurance companies will sort it out ... we've got a ride to complete!

more berms ahead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we got down the hill, you could see accross the valley over to the Angeles Oaks area and hwy 38 - the views were spectacular!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this photo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to skip the road that would take us to the 38 & opt for the longer route around to the 330...

...it was longer than expected.

But scenic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bikes on a bridge we encountered - mine's in the background with it's new battle scars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg's has a growing amount of fame surrounding his epic water crossings!

[​IMG]

It was a LONG & SLIPPERY ride back to pavement. Greg was happy to be there before dark...

[​IMG]

So now the adventure was supposedly over. We're back on a twisty mountain highway, nothing left to do but head down the mountain, make a quick stop for gas, then hit the freeway all the way back home.

Pretty uneventful.

That is, unless your front inner tube melts at 80 miles per hour.

[​IMG]

I knew the freeways back to Orange County, so I took the lead. I noticed Bob was falling back & when I looked up again, nothing! I pulled off the freeway, grabbed my cell & called him up.

Turns out he was on the side of the freeway trying to figure out how he flatted again! I doubled back to meet him - I had a spare front tube, but turns Bob's existing valvestem had also failed! Perhaps the heat from the tube melting.

Either way, a BIG thanks to officer Bell who hung out & trained his spotlight on us to help our repair & fend off drunks from thinking we had just made a new right-hand lane on the freeway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... so that was our day. What'd y'all yerselves do?
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Inte Awesome ride report,,sound like you guys have ADVentures of many diferent kinds

I do have a question is this Bike resting on the forks when you are changing the tyre !?!?
    [​IMG]

hopefully some day we get to ride togheter,,awesome panoramas
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Nothing THAT much fun!

Looks like a great ride!!
  4. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome Report :thumb Sounds like you managed to fit a lot into a day.
  5. Rogue 1

Rogue 1 Walking Nike Ad

Oddometer:
    :thumb Great report! Green with envy... except for the mishaps of course...

Good sense of humor re the kid in the truck...

WTG
  6. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Action, suspense, drama, beautiful scenery and... great bikes! That's an excellent report :thumb :thumb :thumb
  7. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    GREAT report!

Shots like this, with the little tan strip of road a bent wire in the distance...gawd...so nice.

[​IMG]
  8. inte

Oddometer:
    Yep - I actually asked him about that - if you look at the earlier shots of him changing the flat - the bike is resting on the rear wheel - probably due to the slope in the road. My 640 will always flop forward if I pull the front wheel. The wheel was off by the time I got there & there wasn't anything to prop under the bike to hold it up I guess...
  9. inte

Oddometer:
    Forgot to include the overview map:

339 miles.
  10. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pics!:thumb Thanks for posting it.

I love my home state! :D
  11. j0ney3

j0ney3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great fucking ride report! I'm totally green with envy, fuckers!
  12. inte

Oddometer:
    Not sure what happened there ... Bob was running 28 psi (cold) and his tires were DOT knobbies (Michelin Baja front if I remember right). The only thing I can figure that might have played a factor is the patch. I've ridden patched tubes on dirt & freeway without any problems, but I think the area of with the patch was the first to melt away - perhaps the particular type of glue generated heat at speed...

Your guess is a good as mine why this happened.
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    I think we better make the "Hall of fame" widescreen,,
    maybe of you picture on this tread are trully amazing.

congratulation this is for sure a great ride report,just use thicker tubes next time
  14. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Yep we had fun I hate to say it Bob but my wife had trouble with the first flat and then the story about hitting a car she would have really thought I was tell thats why I'm late tales" if I had been with you for the grand finally here is a neat shot I took of Bob

Attached Files:

15. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Here is Jon (Inte) with his very cool water crossing style

Attached Files:

16. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Bob practicing his New Jimmy Lewis Skills note the dust this will come into play in an upcoming picture

Attached Files:

17. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    The road the prior shots where taken on is off Highway 74 just east of Hemet The road is Bee Canyon Truck trail and it is very cool. The entrance is just past the department of forestry another road I posted about which I called the Ultimate road ends where this one starts makes a very cool loop. Bee canyon came out on 243 which is the road through Idlewild and is a great bike road from there we went down to the 10 to 62 which is famous for the wind (be carefull in the spring) next was Pioneertown

Attached Files:

18. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    From Pioneertown rd we took Burns Canyon which will take you into some very cool roads The are all mapped out (North American City Secect 4.01)and there are several options to take one of which is a lower loop off Burn Canyon it is a very chalenging rocky road that we did not dare stop on to take pictures The 950 albility just amazes me through section like this. The next shot is in the higher elevations of Burns Canyon

Attached Files:

19. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Here they are ready its a race

Attached Files:

20. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    It is close who will be the winner

Attached Files: