Grey Creek Pass

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hektoglider, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    The word was that there was 3 feet of snow up there, and a 4x4 got stuck going through, then someone said it's washed out.I asked at the general store and they said its open.I rode it last night, an awesome ride to the pass and on to Kimberly. I got off the ferry in Crawford Bay BC and from Grey creek this rode goes over the mountain to Kimberly BC. I could see where the machinery repaired the washout. Its a bit rough in places but easily do-able on any of the big duallies........some rustic campsites along the way....
  2. NEDMAN

NEDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, an awesome pass. Best part was rolling down the west side at 80kph sans engine! Pic is from late July 07 just after it "opened".

Attached Files:

3. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Sooooo.. which direction would be prefered for best views,logistics ect.?
  4. Daz-o-matic

Daz-o-matic HOT POOP

Oddometer:
    How rough is a "bit rough"? Passable with a carefully (slowly!) ridden 500 Ninja?

I live just north of the east end of the pass, and I've always had a hankerin' to ride it.
  5. NEDMAN

NEDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO, the more interesting side is from the west. It's actually quite a few kms in from the Kimberley side, and the twisty / steep parts are more on the west side of the pass by Crawford Bay. Whichever way you go, it's a lot more interesting than down around Creston, but if it's a side trip to the top only, I'd do it from the west.

Could a Ninja do it? Shouldn't be a problem if you take it easy and are used to gravel. The bike in the pic is a V-Strom 1000 with TKC's. I'd be leary in the rain though. We saw a few SUVs up there (most with rental stickers:lol3 ). I wouldn't take my holiday trailer over it though I drag that thing through some fairly nasty roads. Hope that helps.

Here's a pic of the "twisties"....

Attached Files:

6. NEDMAN

NEDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the road itself....

Attached Files:

7. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Its on my short list! Was in the area the other day but had to come back to work for two days.:puke1
  8. E-town dirt dude

E-town dirt dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We tried it a couple of weeks ago. Woman at the store said there's still
    snow up there. I said we'll give it a try.

[​IMG]

We made it through the first couple of patches of snow. Then it looked like it was clearing a bit. We pushed forward a bit more..I mean pushed!!!

[​IMG]

There was snow as far as the eye could see. Pushing a fully loaded klr..through slushy snow...is a lot of work. We accepted defeat and turned back. I didn't go back into the store and hear the woman say.."I told ya so"
  9. NEDMAN

NEDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool pics E-town. Looks like you were only a 100m or so from the top! The pic in my first post is from the top looking down the east side. It's the same mountain you see in yours.
  10. chucker

chucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A group of 10 of us made it no problem last weekend, epic ride. The weekend before there was 3-4 feet at the top. Even the powerline had snow. Totally open now. We passed the digger at work repairing the washed out section. I would try it on anything, but don't go alone. Check out www.adsmc.ca for pics.
  11. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Cool pics Chucker. Also went over the powerline on the long weekend and was sure glad not to have to back track because of snow.Did stop to fill my pockets with it though! Was begging to see some of the rain in your pics.Rode most of the KVR from Merrit to Castlegar on the way there.Temp guage in the gps went over 40 a couple times . Neat to see someone else on your forum was just there also.
  12. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    it was a bit rough,but if you can ride gravel ok, and go easy, it should be no problem.

13. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    I rode over from west to east early last September on a '71 R50/5 BMW. No problem at all with due caution and respect for the surroundings.

Beautiful ride with lots of great views.

:thumb :thumb

Would love to return.

Attached Files:

14. rusty43

rusty43 cruzincariboucountry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am heading to Whistler Jul 25 for the wknd and then south to wa/id/mo to do going to the sun and waterton park. My 950adv will start the trip from Peace River with a new Scorpion stocker on the rear. Is the KVR a good option for my trek south or do I require knobbier rubber. I need to stop in Eureka to pick up some parts I ordered so I should head over to that side of BC at some point. Actually I have a set of TKC's waiting at Eureka, but I will be taking Hwy 22 home from Waterton so I don't want to wear them out on the slab home. Thanks
  15. W0lfPack

W0lfPack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my 2 wheel drive 1-ton truck up an over the pass in late July with little trouble. I did see a few sections of washout, but all where easily passable. I hear and see snow is an issue throughout the year, but the only thing that stopped us was a Helicopter removing tools and equipment from a remote survey camp.

Can a Ninja do it? Well ... I think it matters less about the machinery, and more on the rider. Yes, tires matter and having the right ones makes a huge difference. But I have street tires on my 1982 Yammi Seca and I have been in some hairy situations - and I would consider some of 'em to be in rougher shape than the Grey Creek Pass... So, to answer your question - sure it can! Let me know when you go and I will follow... :)
  16. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    You can ride the KVR on your ten speed bicycle. Knobbies not required. :nono

A view of the KVR from a '71 R50/5:

:ricky

Attached Files:

17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Bringing an old thread back to life, cool pictures.

I am curious about the alternate route (hydroline) across the pass. Can anyone give me an idea of what the terrain-trail is like ? Some pictures would be great if anyone has any :thumb

Thanks
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The west side of the powerline is steep and loose. That line was decommissioned/removed last year. Nature will reclaim the road, won't take long until it's impassable. I haven't been up there since the change, it might already be unrideable. Might have been re-contoured. IF you do it, I'd suggest going east to west. Have a buddy along! Not 2 up; on another bike.
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Thanks, I'd heard it was to be decommissioned just didn't know if there was any truth to it.
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once I've plated the bike next year I'll head over there and do a recon. Mid June the Pass might not be open yet but it's a good excuse for a jaunt that's not too far. I'll post up or send you a PM then.