Grey Creek Pass

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hektoglider, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're catching the 8:10 ferry tomorrow, hoping to make it through. (on dirt bikes....)

Has anyone been through the power line decommissioned road? I know the bridges have been taken out, but by taking that route instead of the summit road, we'll cut off 10 KM's and maybe avoid the couple of switchbacks that have snow till fairly late.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the powerline east to west in 2008. The west side was steep loose baby heads. Since the powerline has been taken out I think it hasn't been used much except by ATVs. The bridgeless creeks will be running high. If it were known to be in good shape it would be the way to go since the pass there is lower elevation and doesn't have that switchback tucked under a north facing peak.
  3. Hill Climber

Oddometer:
    Thanks, for sure the creeks will be high, but not having ridden this way before, I think it's worth a look at. Lots of rain lately, and now it's heating up.... perfect for lots of high water :eek1

If we're turned back, we'll have a go at the long way around.
  4. Hill Climber

Oddometer:
    We made it through via the summit road. At the summit, we took the quad trail bypass (200 feet) as the road had about 2 feet of snow. A bit of snow to blast through to the first switchback, then it became 2 feet to slog through downhill with some bare patches. The second and third had a foot to a foot and a half. Timing was perfect, as our buddy from Calgary just arrived at the third switchback (the most easterly one from the summit). He had to take a second run at it and blasted through.
    Our buddy is heading back to Calgary today, and he'll take the powerline road shortcut if the creek isn't too high.
    Now there's a track through, I'd imagine that our track will be down to dirt in a few days.
  5. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    i rode the pass a couple of years ago.
    it was a great long way 'round, however there were very few exceptional viewpoints.
    are there big bike friendly offshoots that lead to lakes, higher elevation, viewpoints, etc.?
  6. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Yes,

A few kms after the summit on the east side, there is a road that slants off up the mountain. It will lead you to the top of Hall Mountain (microwave access road). From there you can see all the mountain ranges surrounding St Maries, the Continental Divide, south into the US, north to the Purcells and Bugaboos, etc.

Again, travelling west to East, just after St Mary Lake, if you turn right there you can go up into White Boar Lake, Richmond Lake, etc.

The only through route you can ride is Redding Creek Pass, however. Unless you're a glutton for punishment and you want to take on Rose Pass.

All kind of rides in this area that you can download at DualSportMaps.com
  7. Hill Climber

Oddometer:
    Our Calgary buddy went back today via the power line road. No snow, and water crossings were only up to the rotors. Easy relaxed trip back.
  8. corney

corney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A anyone rolled that way lately?
  9. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    CBC tells me that there is a search on for a missing "experienced" motorcyclist in the Grey Creek Pass area. It is 45 year old Paul Kerr from Kimberley and he's riding a 2009 BMW. Maybe an inmate?
  10. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    I don't know him; maybe one of Jim Kerr's kids, but I haven't seen anybody like that flying ADV stickers on their ride in this area. There is a bunch of logging going on right beside the main FSR, so unless he left at oh dark thirty in the morning or made a very late departure, they will have seen him.

Haven't seen any SAR aircraft flying around town; I don't listen to the Communist Broadcasting Corporation so whatever they may or may not be saying, I haven't heard it.

I/we could call Cranbrook and Kimberley SAR teams, but not much point to it. First, there's minimal places he can go, especially right now. Not many options once he turns up the St Maries, and only one option is a through route. So the trained SAR people they can call out are more than enough, and they are going to be able to look over banks far better than we can.

Second, they aren't going to want a gang of what they see as untrained SAR help gaggling all over every road up there.

If a specific request for help from riders comes in, then maybe that's another matter.

In the meantime, I'll tune in to The Drive and see if they're broadcasting anything.
  11. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    All the SAR stuff is well underway. Kootenay Advertiser

My only purpose in posting that was that if he had friends/acquaintances here, they might want to know if they didn't already.
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Seems they found him banged up but alive stuck under his bike in the bush just off St. Maries Rd.
  13. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
    Hope the BMW rider is OK....

May be in that area near the beginning of July.
    Wondering if current conditions would be OK for a weestrom with oem tires and no skidplate.
    If conditions are good, how much time would you allow for a nice easy going ride, west to east?
  14. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    No Beemer riders here to say "But, was the bike okay?"...

There was a guy in a similar situation about 8 - 10 years ago up the St Maries, except he had a broken femur and was at the bottom of the steep bank he had gone over. Lots of over-the-bank portions of the roads up there.

Unless we get a huge stretch of fugly weather between now and your arrival, your weestrom will have no problem with the road. I've seen small passenger cars, trucks pulling trailers, etc travel that road. And two land pirates on their Harleys once...

How long depends on how fast you ride. The main St Maries is easily 80 km/hr in many stretches. The road isn't as well finished once you turn off at Redding Creek, so you'll slow down there, and the same thing on the Gray Creek side of the ride which is just a few kms of the total ride.

So it depends on how much gawking and stopping you do, but two hours is pretty easy. We head over to Crawford Bay for breakfast and back a couple of times each year.
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    there was a decent sized RV scraping its way around the corners when i rode over the pass a couple of years ago.
  16. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe the infamous BMW F800GS ABS caused him to pile up. If scared the shit out of myself forgetting to turn of the ABS on my 2010 on gravel.

I do hope he recovers. Thanks to SAR and the Mountain Bikers whom found him.
  17. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
  18. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good lord.... luck be a lady he was found!!!
    what bike was he riding?
    peach
  19. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They just about to do a story on the guy that was trapped under the bike on the early global BC news and I bet on the 6 PM news as well.
  20. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Was on local radio as I was heading out of town for work yesterday at noon. Said it was 5 km west of Kimberley. Sounds to me like he barely got out of town - I think that would put you right around the Happy Hans campground or whatever they call it. Was still riding the slab when he went down, anyways. Much further up and there wouldn't have been any mountain bikers around to find him...

The news was a crushed/broken foot, fracture in his spine, and I think they said a head injury as well. Anyways, apparently he went to Kelowna by air ambulance.