Grey Creek Pass

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hektoglider, Jul 8, 2008.

1. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Robert Gray. Yes, saw his bust in Ottawa last summer commemorating his VC at war’s end.
  2. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Here you go, now that my military mind is engaged. I also recall that the Japanese were sufficiently impressed by the courage of the attack that they erected some kind of monument to Gray's courage.

[​IMG]
    Holaday likes this.
  3. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Holaday likes this.
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a beautiful lake, good fishing for smallish trout too. Last time I tried to get up to it two summers back, the road had a bad wash down one of the steeper climbs. Ended up clipping a boulder and busting my foot peg and shift lever. Hopefully they have done a bit of maintenance since then.
  5. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its still very rough and lots of baby heads. The area was spared from the big fire that ran down that valley last year but not by much. Alice and Mayo Lakes that are are short hike off Meachan just past the White Boar turn off is all burnt.
    MCMXCIVRS likes this.
  6. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Our ski patrollers that back country in that area never mentioned that Alice and Mayo burned. You would think they would like a burn in there. I haven't been in there for quite a while; the last time I tried to get in there hiking, the trails were all bushwhacking alders. Bet it was full of mushroom pickers this spring.

Did Haystack Lakes, Hourglass Lakes, Carrot Lake, etc also burn?

There will be great hunting in there in a few years when that starts growing back in. I remember watching the Pudding Burn fire back in the early 60's from the car parked off the road by the Iron Plant, watching to see if the fire was going to come across the St Mary's and burn Marysville to the ground. We shot moose, elk, and mule deer in there every year for quite a while after that. Used to cross the river below the lake and either hunt the riparian meadows on the south side of the river, or go up either Angus Creek or Bannock Creek to get into the burn. The roads they punched through there to fight the fire finally became impassible somewhere around the early 1980's, I guess. There's a few probably somewhat still passable.

You used to be able to ride up to the top of where the VOR tower is now. I did some sketchy routes downhill to Angus Creek and the south side St Maries FSR about eight or nine years ago. Pretty fucking stupid for an old dude to attempt. They are really steep and loose - if I'd come up on some deadfall blocking the road in that jungle - or they had no longer joined up with the roads at the bottom... it would have been a very expensive helicopter rescue to get my bike longlined out of there. There wouldn't have even been room to take a run at them to get some speed up.

It's too bad you can't ride from Meachen Creek/Hellroaring Creek/Angus Creek/Bannock Creek on the southeast end of St Mary's Lake to connect to the road at the top where the VOR tower is. That would make a really nice loop ride if it didn't involve gnarly single track.

Attached Files:

farmerger likes this.
  7. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the hourglass lakes or carrot lake but im pretty certain that haystack is past the burn. They cleared the ditches and fixed the bridges last fall for loggers to get in there and pull out the burnt sticks so the road is easily drivable in a truck or even a car. There was an avalanche this spring but its been cleared.

You actually can get to the VOR tower from Angus creek so they must have logged up there since When you mentioned. I have done it on my quad and bike and its not that gnarly. (I used you VOR loop gpx last year and it is far more sketchy lol). There is a section where the alders are getting pretty close to each other but I knocked the worst of them back last year with my handy little battery powered chain saw. I will dig out the gpx when I get home from work next week because it is a great little shortcut that i use to get to Perry creek from Kimberley rather than highway to Wycliff.
  8. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

It's good to go. We went over last week and it was bone dry, no washouts and no snow. This is just east of the summit.
    [​IMG]
    Lycan1 likes this.
  9. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, farmerger, exactly what I want to hear. The road looks in good shape too (at least that tiny bit in the photo). Sounds like good conditions this year in the Kootenays.
  10. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And my apologies for misspelling "Gray". I automatically use Canadian spelling (in this case for the colour) and didn't realise the (new) name honours Robert Gray. It sounds like he's deserving of having places named in his memory. (I'll stay out of any discussion about Redding Creek and this pass as I don't know who Redding was and his/her connection to the creek so named). Sadly, political correctness is stripping the country of honourific named locations and built structures; I fear we'll end up in an Orwellian land stripped of all reverance for the past. Happy Dominion Day everyone.
    farmerger likes this.
  11. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    You had me at "Happy Dominion Day"...

At my age and being a retired paratrooper with 30 years of service with fun filled paid vacations to the two way rifle range other places in the world, I've always wondered why the Canadian Red Ensign was good enough for Canadian soldiers to die under fighting overseas from the Boer War through both world wars, and then Korea, but not good enough to represent Canada in peace. Ditto the changes to the Canadian Coat Of Arms under Chretien. Particularly when accompanied by the inevitable wails that Canadians lack a sense of identity and get their culture from TV (damned Americans, etc and so forth). It ain't a national tradition/touchstone when you change it every couple of years, numbnuts (or numbovaries, whatever applies).

And my sympathy for anyone ridding Redding Creek as I post this - the lightening, hail, and buckets of water coming down in the St. Maries at this instant would make most people think they need to find a cave... Holy shit Batman! Won't have to worry about fire season for a little while...
    farmerger likes this.
  12. Tw!st

Tw!st n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I guess we got quite lucky as we did grey pass (west to east) on Monday just after the storm passed over the St. Maries. Started around 4pm and got sun and good weather the whole way. Road was awesome shape with no mud. First time doing the pass and won't be the last...
  13. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went over Gray Creek Pass today. The road wasn't bad considering all the rain it has seen in the past few days. Lots of deer, otherwise not a lot to see and quite cool for July.

D7K_3131.JPG
    goforth, Holaday, Cal and 6 others like this.
  14. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    I came back over Gray Creek pass today from the west. Much drier than last week. And I could see the mountains!

D7K_3778.JPG

D7K_3779.JPG
    powderzone, Holaday, Lycan1 and 3 others like this.
  15. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    DualSport855 likes this.
  16. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg

Here is a pic I posted in the other Gray Creek Pass thread taken in 2016. Just noticed my Dogs rear end and tail at bottom of pic. : ) Road is more fun on the 990. Dog likes it more in Van.
    glasshousebc likes this.
  17. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just rode the pass (whichever you call it) both ways. In really good condition. And as always, much better than following rvs along the Crowsnest.

@Jaeger, I only heard on other person on the radio; he said his great uncle would get a chuckle out of my calling it "Redding pass". I forgot how long that stretch is following Redding creek. It really is over half the distance.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    From Last Week.

_MG_0901.jpg

_MG_0903.jpg
    It was dry on this run across but I took it in the pouring rain on the way back and did not stop for pictures. Just east of the summit pictured it had water streaming across in brown rivers, washing away the top surface so expect ruts on the way up. There were a couple of short muddy spots where the logging is happening but otherwise solid and rocky with no shortage of potholes.

There is a singular campsite just west of the summit (complete with picnic table), but damn it would be cold at night even in July. It sure was in the rain, lightening and thunder last Wednesday am!
    goforth, glasshousebc and farmerger like this.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must have been just after you guys. Wednesday late. The road had dried up pretty good as there was no water or mud. The north end of Trout Lake was a different story though, some real soupy spots.
  20. Sikorsky

Sikorsky The Man.

Oddometer:
    I was just up there last week, saw a couple of Euros on bikes headed eastbound before the top of the pass. What caught my eye was the guy on the old XRV750 AT, pretty rare to see anywhere, let alone the backcountry of southern BC! It was an early 90's model in the HRC colors.