Grey Creek Pass

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hektoglider, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    The power line bypass is often "open" sooner than the actual road. It's has a slightly lower peak altitude. I plan to also do a recon of the decommissioned route towards late June.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading up from the west. I'm guessing you'll be heading from the east end. :D
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Got another question for you as well, between Fairmont and Kimberly on the west side of the valley there appears to be a series of old logging roads. Going by memory here, I want to say Findlay Creek (might be way off) area. When I used to live in the valley we used to snowmobile up in that area. Anyone ridden a bike on those roads ? Zooming in with Google maps it appears as if you could stay up on the "bench" and avoid the main highway for quite a long stretch.......

:lurk
  4. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Yes - Findlay Creek is a great road. Also - there is a lookout near there (Skookumchuk) that offers great views of the valley and is easily done by a big bike. There is also a very long power line running from Skookumchuk down to Kimberley that is a blast to ride... DS Autobahn.

Is this is for your TCAT routing? I can flip you some GPS tracks for this.

Cheers,
    Andy
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

:thumb

6. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    This was taken in October up Meachen Creek on the way to White Boar Lake. A really great area to ride in adjacent to the Gray Creek route.

[​IMG]

Heading into White Boar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is on the back side of St. Mary's Lake as you head towards Kimberley. There is a thread about how to get there on Dual Sport BC ...
    http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/s...th-Ripple-Meachen-Creek-St-Mary-s-Ride-Report

As far as direction goes, I think the ride is much more scenic going east to west.

Looking west at Gray Creek Pass.

[​IMG]
  7. Nighman

Nighman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if anyone knows if this pass is open or not? Rob1313 tried it a couple weeks ago and it was blocked by a slide.
  8. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Are you guys telling me that we are going to have to send a guy all the way from Alberta (again) to see if this pass is open? :ear
    Not that we won't do it....
  9. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for trying it some weekend. I've never been but people say it's a nice ride.

I'd do it this weekend but I have already gave my work to help put epoxy flooring down in my buddies garage on Saturday..
  10. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Nigh is going to try it this weekend. He'll let us know when he gets back if it was open yet or not. He'll be going from the Kimberly side.
  11. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend has the contract to decommission roads out here (yeah don't even get me started). Next time I see him I am going to ask about this road.

The work he has done is just saddening to see...

A lot of snow has melted out here. Looking at the mountain at the west end exit it has snow on the top quarter now.
  12. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Thanks DNF.
    I was in your town for a night about 3 weeks ago. Next time I'm though I'll ping you for a coffee.
  13. DORION

DORION Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JUST SPECTACULAR PHOTOS, GOT TO GET OUT THAT WAY LOOKS LIKE AMAZING RIDING.

QUOTE=borscht zanetti;14707288]This was taken in October up Meachen Creek on the way to White Boar Lake. A really great area to ride in adjacent to the Gray Creek route.

[​IMG]

Heading into White Boar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is on the back side of St. Mary's Lake as you head towards Kimberley. There is a thread about how to get there on Dual Sport BC ...
    http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/s...th-Ripple-Meachen-Creek-St-Mary-s-Ride-Report

As far as direction goes, I think the ride is much more scenic going east to west.

Looking west at Gray Creek Pass.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  14. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap

Might be doing a 800 or so KM ride on the long weekend. Mostly all off-road that includes this section. Would love to know!

Will be camping it to add to the adventure.
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  16. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    No joy guys. The pass is still blocked. Nigh tried it yesterday with no luck. I might try again in August. Maybe. Depends on lots of things here
  17. rockies-GS

rockies-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Usually the pass is only open around mid July. But with all the snow we had last year and the cool spring ..... it is probably going to be a while ...

i can't wait to ride it though ... and try my new TKC's
  18. Nighman

Nighman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well as Rob said the pass is still blocked. Going in from the Kimberly side you pass a sign that said there is a slide at K12. There are a couple areas where there were slides but you can pass them now.

This was about K10

[​IMG]

This is the K12 slide

[​IMG]

I got to within about K19 to the Grey Creek side and came to this.

[​IMG]

Looks like we will have to wait a while longer yet.
  19. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you wanted to do the work, could you have skirted along the side there then dug out the second one?

At K19, I assume you still had a long way to go where it'd only get worse?
  20. Nighman

Nighman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I got to this point it was about 3:30pm. Who knows what was under the snow and who knows what was past that slide. Also there was nobody else around and I was alone so if I got hurt I would have been in some real trouble (I do have a spot at least). I will wait till the end of July and try it again, it will still be there.