Grey Creek Pass

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hektoglider, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures Jager!

That snow picture must be from the east side going west?

How far is that from where I posted above? I figured we were *almost* at the summit. I'm wondering if next weekend can be set for a Grey Creek Pass effort to poke through.

I believe the powerline, with exception of that river crossing would have been do-able. It seemed snow free and kept a few hundred feet less elevation I think across the pass.
  2. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I grew up in Marysville and hang out there when I'm up in Canada working and not at home down in the Flathead.

I can't visualize exactly where that is, although I do recognize it. You were well short of the summit however - my pic is about a click short, more or less. I wouldn't bet on Gray Creek for next weekend from the east, unless you really like working your ass off getting bikes up that grade through snow. With three days of hot weather, just perhaps, but it is cloudy right now and not particularly hot. Or if some guys in quads or trucks forced a track through, then you could follow in on that. But the odds aren't great, particularly when you're coming from Calgary. In your shoes, if you want to head to BC I'd head down Corbin Creek and through the South Country, China Wall, Wiggy, etc. Frankly, although Redding Creek is in my back yard, I think it is overblown - at least compared to what you can see in the South Country, which also offers numerous through routes for ADV types

[​IMG]

I think the powerline option is about done since the road was decommissioned. Aside from the bridge, I don't know what other decommissioning work was done last year, but they had heavy equipment up there for quite a while. The gnarly can always give it a shot, I suppose.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the powerline east to west in "08. I would not have wanted to try it west to east, steep and loose. But I was solo and not the least bit hardcore. Just putt around on a 250. It would be interesting to know if they re-contoured it at all or maybe they actually fixed it up somewhat to be able to remove the line.
  4. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crap.

Just got my new WR and was thinking of trying....
    We just got a ton of rain today. Lots of precip in the forecast this week.

Nice pics btw.
  5. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Well... we can have a WRR fan meeting at the top of Gray Creek one day. Or I can bumble down to Nelson some day - I've not done a lot of dual sport riding around there and Chris from Selkirk College has posted enough pics up in the mountains to make me curious.

But anyways, the pass is a no go for a few more days.
  6. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome info guys!

Yea, the last trip we did Corbin - Yahk - Moyie area - up to Crawford on the highway to the top of Grey Creek. All off-road except the Creston - Crawford obviously. We then got stopped from snow on Grey Creek and back tracking to Lost. I'm hoping to do both passes on my next trip, or at least this year yet.

We rode the west side up the powerline to the bridge washout. No problems what-so-ever. Their "decomission" just included some drainage ruts which are no problems on a bike. Some were great fun to wheelie/jump over. One had a log just after it which would have made for great pics if the light was right. Keep in mind we both have quite extensive off-road experience and enjoy challenges. If you are comfortable off-road you'll have no problem. Even GS/ADV riders could climb the hill with ease. That being said, I'm not sure what's above the bridge washout. If the water wasn't so high it would be crossable with a bike. It appears the quads were doing it, but they must have big balls because with that fast of water their quad could wash away.

Maybe next weekend... we'll see how the weather pans out and if I can take a day off work.

If anybody is interested in joining in the journey lemme know. The last long weekend we did 870K mostly all off-road in three days, so expect 300ish KM days of easy to moderate dual sporting. It generally takes a bit for us to turn around though.
  7. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    Watching eagerly for a successful '11 first pass report...
    We'll be going through at the end of the month fully loaded. Would love to know it's in reasonable shape before we get there.

8. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, we were in Libby earlier this month and took a tour of the dam. The US Army Corps of Engineers manages the dam, which is the primarily dam for flood control on the Kootenay River, one of five. We were told that the snowcap in the Canada Rockies is 150% of normal this year, and as of July 2 (when we were there) had not started to melt.

Going-to-the-Sun Road (Logan Pass) just opened today. Before this year, the latest it ever opened was June 15, back in 1943 when there was no manpower to plow. As of a week ago, there was still up to 80 feet of snow in some sections. Informed opinion is that it may not open at all this year.

There is still lots of snow and lots of moisture to come down from the mountains. This is an unusual year, perhaps not one to be overly optimistic about riding high undeveloped passes.

Ride safe.
    Scott Fraser
  9. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it wasn't a record year out here. A lot of snow indeed but not a record year.

Jaeger if you are heading out this way give me pm. I have no one to ride with. I need a SPOT methinks.
  10. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    First, the Imagineers may be saying that, but they obviously haven't been up in the mountains north of the border. Given that the vast majority of the snow from the winter has melted, and the rivers were just ripping up until a few days ago, it most certainly has started to melt. What they might have meant is the snow is CURRENTLY at 150% of mean levels, and that would probably be quite accurate.

Second, snow pack can vary in relatively short distances. The nearest snow station to the East Kootenays is Moyie, I believe. This was an above-average (for the last 30 years, anyways) snow year in Kimberley. But it was normal not too far away. The snowpack can be as much a product of the conditions as how much snow fell during the year. Not a whole lot of snow fell this year, but it regularly snowed through the spring and hot weather only arrived about a week ago.

But the St Maries has seen much more snow than this over the 50+ years I've been around. Many times.
  11. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we'll see what the summer brings. My next two weekends are filled, and then a buddy is showing up with his beemer to do Going To The Sun and maybe poke around down by Elk City way. I want to do a week long loop in Idaho-Montana this summer, but the way things are going it may be a case of "foiled again".

I've been using the SPOT in all kinds of places this year since early in May. I am completely sold on it.
  12. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree with this.

The passes we have seen that had snow on the roads didn't look like A LOT of snow. Sure it's maybe around longer then it shoudl this year, but I figure it should be passable soon. If the snow didn't increase in elevation, you can ride through it with relative ease.

I need to get out there and do more dual sporting... I should also replace my rear wheel bearings that started to get some play...

Research time..
  13. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Going to try it on Saturday from the west.

Will report findings as I'm able.

:thumb :thumb
  14. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:

How'd it go?
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either something came up and he didn't go or he went, got stuck and is waiting for someone to come along to help him out.

Hoping it's the former. :D
  16. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    I had breakfast in Crawford Bay this morning.

Meaning... The Redding Creek/Gray Creek pass is open.

I suspect the boys in their trucks punched through from the West side to come to Kimberley for Barbarian Days this weekend, Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Anyways, met the owner of the Gray Creek Store at the top. His phone has been ringing off the hook, he said, with people asking if the pass was open yet, so he'd decided to come have a look for himself. Met about eight vehicles on the way back to Marysville, heading back towards Crawford Bay. Four of them doing about the speed of heat, meaning that once again you have to assume you may meet a moron in a blind corner coming the other way, with so much speed he figures he needs all the road. Some things never change...

The road is in good shape. The slide debris on the east side is partially blocking the road in places, but a truck with a trailer could probably snake through if he was careful about it. There is a hoe and a grader on the west side, doing some road work. But the guy on the grader is either really good, or all the rain has settled the grading down in a hurry. The shoulders must be soft in places as they have flagging and tape up in numerous places.

Anyways, have at 'er boys.
  17. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wicked news!!

Planning dual sport trip.... now.
  18. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Over and back again from the west side on Saturday the 17th. Only snow on the road was for about 20ft near the crest. Seemed like kind of a non-issue. :dunno Snow blocking the road must have melted in a hurry, because there was none in sight near the road? :scratch

Was nice to soak in the Lussier River hotsprings.

:bubba
  19. hontri

hontri Global Bummer!

Oddometer:
    Where exactly are the hotsprings? Is it a commercial venture or on the pass somewhere? Thanks
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Hotsprings are nowhere near Grey Creek Pass. I was at the Lussier River hotsprings on the White Swan Lake road east of Canal Flats. They're clearly marked with a parking area and even change room/toilets near the road.

Well worth the ride.

:thumb