Grey Creek Pass

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hektoglider, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I PM'd him the same thing..

Wouldn't that be something to have a nice half way stop to enjoy a nice warm body soak before continuing on...

Ahh, we can dream.
  2. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    The hotsprings are here.

There are a lot of nice campgrounds and riding in the area but it is very busy in the summer (especially on weekends).
  3. W0lfPack

W0lfPack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heya Folks,

Just came home over this pass and 6kms from Grey Creek (West side) the pass will be closed from 7am to 5pm. There were some stress cracks and a small slide. They are in the process of working on pulling some material back up the banks. I was told it will remain some what "passable" by motorcycle, but signage and the crew working on the road will prevent passage during working hours.

I just barely squeaked by the excavator and two dump trucks today, and I was told that if the boss was there I would have been given the third degree about the 5 signs saying "Road closed at 6Km", and would likely have been turned around. I have pictures of this adventure today and will be posting soon.
  4. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up! Sucks big time, but now I have to see if I can fit our schedule around that... or sweet talk some construction workers...

We rode past the road closed signs weeks ago and saw the land slides waiting to happen.
  5. hontri

hontri Global Bummer!

Oddometer:
    Hey Wolfpack do you know if this applies to the weekend? Or any idea when they might be finished? Was thinkin' of headin that way on the long weekend. Thanks
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Hoping it's all clear on the weekend. Was planning to head over that way Saturday or Sunday.

:dunno
  7. Hamon

Hamon I just like riding

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience yesterday on the pass. I met "the boss" who drives around in a white Ford Ranger, and had to be pretty persistent to even get the information out of her that once the crews had left for the day (5pm), the road will most likely be open.

The signage says that it'll be this way till Aug 10th.

The road was still passable by normal vehicles yesterday, but as W0lfPack mentioned, it's gonna get more torn up before it gets better. I got a similar answer from the excavator operator, saying that there should still be some sort of bike trail through it at the end of each day, but, being this is an active construction site, I don't know if I'd base a crucial timeframe around it.

Travis
  8. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Notice: Grey creek pass closed for season. In red on left hand side here:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dkl/

I was planning to climb it Sat noon E to W.
    Open or not? Crews working the long weekend?
    Thx
    Stand Up
  9. W0lfPack

W0lfPack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Signage explaining construction.
    [​IMG]

Construction.
    [​IMG]

Bike stuff.
    [​IMG]

Still snow up here, but not blocking the road.
    [​IMG]

A slide that happened on Eastern side of this pass.
    [​IMG]

I love this pass...
    [​IMG]

According to BC, the pass remains closed until August, but you will likely find enthusiasts that like to get a jump on this official opening. :)
  10. R.J.

R.J. split personality

Oddometer:
    We just came over the pass earlier today. The road is still posted as closed, but being a long weekend there were no workers present at the construction site to turn us away. :evil. The road was no problem for two loaded gs's. As we found on our previous trip over the pass, the scenery was spectacular. Pics to follow...
  11. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    No problem over the pass yesterday except for the slow-ass F800's and 1200GS's blocking the road...

:evil

:lol3

:thumb :thumb
  12. chucker

chucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the road closure affects the powerline trail? It looks as though they are repairing the main road and I think the powerline trail exits after the construction area. I have a group of 10 guys heading over Grey Creek Pass in the next few weeks, they may be done by then anyways.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The closure is east of the west end of the powerline.

The powerline route has a bridge out and the creek is still raging. The bridge may not be getting replaced since the powerline has been removed.
  14. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, the bridge on the powerline trail is out/has been removed. The powerline road has been decommissioned; to what extent I don't know. Given the number of tree falls each year up there, it is probably a lot safer to assume the powerline route is permanently done, unless you want to depend on hoping some ATV types are maintaining it with chainsaws for tree fall and whatnot.

Was in Corbin Creek and Cabin Creek a few days ago. And I don't know about Ram Creek - the one up the Lussier, not the one up the Wigwam. A lot of roads not currently being used for logging are getting in really bad shape. Unless MoF finds some money to do at least a little bit of work, some of them are going to be nothing but ATV routes before very long.
  15. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

We went up to the creek washout and it's no problem from the west. We turned around because the water was too high on July 1st, but bumped into a guy with a truck that crossed the powerline this weekend and said it wasn't that bad. This leaves me to beleive it's do-able now.

We also did the Cranbrook to Lussier quad trail (Ram Creek?) and it's in perfect shape. Two landslides took out the bridge and one other area, but the bottom route goes up. Expect to work a bit if the off-road skills aren't too sharp. It's fairly steep and rocky.

Also did North Fork, Racehorse pass, KoKo Claims / River Crossing and Lost Creek. All perfect for riding.
  16. Ladyrider247

Ladyrider247 Airhead Dilettante

Oddometer:

Lucky You...another glorious ride across Canada! Life is Good mon ami! Enjoy the Ride! Can't wait to see the view that you capture this time. Take Care! Carol :wink:
  17. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    I was planning on taking the Grey Creek pass/ St Marys to Kimberley and onwards from there to Coleman tomorrow. Sounds like I wont get through on Grey Creek so does anyone have any suggestions for a good ride anywhere along this stretch as I don't want to slab it all. To get from Vernon to Grey Creek I would be riding all pavement. After Coleman I will take 40 north to Longview and on to Okotoks. Any alternate rides you guys can suggest would be appreciated.
  18. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

There are tons of options, depend on your ability to ride them.

We rode from Grey Creek to just south of Longview with maybe 20km of pavement, but for me to suggest them you better be open minded to some fun, and possibly difficult trails.

A few of them are not big bike friendly, but I'll shake your hand if you take a 990/1200 or even 800 over them.
  19. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Rudy and a group of his buddies went the Powerline route over Grey Creek last Friday. Good thing, too, because my buddy on his KLR would never have made it without their help.

Oh, yeah. Rudy's 80 yrs old.

Rudy and his buddies rock.

:thumb :thumb
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which direction did Rudy and company go over the powerline?