Greys River, Pinedale, WY Area Fishing and Camping

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Everett49, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Everett49

Everett49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am heading solo up to this area area next week. My buddy hurt his shoulder, so it is now a solo trip. I am on a DR650, part dirt, part back-road pavement type trip. I am planning on doing quite a bit of fishing and camping, maybe staying in one spot for 2-3 days, then moving on. I will probably go to Green River Lakes. It looks like there is a lot of river to camp and fish on along the road to to the lakes??

I would appreciate any advice, information on types of lures, flies, whatever it takes to catch a few fish in the Greys and Green Rivers. Also any special camping spots that might be a bit off the beaten path or nearby these areas?

Thanks for your help!

Brian
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the Greys River area. I did a lot of Geology field work in the drainage while at Idaho State. The Greys River is a pretty narrow canyon and there are not a whole bunch of spots to get far back away from the road. Here is a pic of a camp SWMBO & I had along the Greys River while doing the HOW.

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0828.JPG

Not a fly guy, and haven't had a Wyoming fishing license in years. That river is chock full of cut throat and brook trout. I always had good luck with a little Mepps the Black Fury with the yellow spots. A little Panther Martin black with the yellow spots or yellow with the red spots work well too. Just remember that Wyoming makes a lot of money off of tourists who try to sneak by without a fishing license. The best fishing 30 years ago in the area was down in Star Valley on the Salt River between Thayne and it it dumping into the Palisades Reservoir 15' to 16" Cutthroat!

Google Maps will show a route from Pinedale to Alpine Junction that uses FS road 10125. Just use the directions from Pinedale to Alpine Junction it will show. To get to the good stuff on the Greys River you would have to turn South on Greys River road away from Alpine Junction. At the top of 10125 looking towards Alpine:

DSCF0334.JPG
    Maggot12, Everett49 and pratered like this.
  3. Everett49

Oddometer:
    Hey strongbad, Thanks for the info! I may go back home via Salt River and Star Valley.
  4. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are taking the back way from Pinedale area to Grey’s River area, you will most likely be going over McDougal Pass, along that route you will be on Cottowood Creek road, stop and fish that Creek. I’m not much of a fisherman but, I know there is a high dollar fishing resort along Cottowood Creek - there must be something in there to catch.
    Good Luck!
    Everett49 and Strong Bad like this.
  5. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Used to live in Pinedale,
    1/4 once Panther Martin, yellow body, red spots, silver spoon.
    I was there a couple weeks ago, if ranchers are still running water,
    Duck Creek is the spot for monster fish, other wise, New Fork, Green River. Up the Green is Union Pass, to Dubois and a little lake, Lake of the Woods, used to be a brood lake hatchery for Cut Throat.
    Plenty of ride options
    Enjoy
    Everett49, pratered and Strong Bad like this.
  6. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's also FR 45 &46 to go N - S along the east side of the mountain from Greys River. Lower Greys river is the calving ground for Utah fifth wheel road rhinos. 46 joins in with La Barge road a few miles south of the junction with Greys River. You then have the choice of Smith Fork road to the west or down Greys.
    pratered and Everett49 like this.
  7. Everett49

Oddometer:
    I am going up LaBarge from the south. Is Smith Fork less busy than Greys? I definitely like fewer people. Thank you for the info, by the way!
  8. Everett49

Oddometer:
    I am going over Union Pass, so thanks for the info on Lake of the Woods? Where exactly is Duck Creek?

Thanks!
  9. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    Just outside of Pinedale on 191, it's a State fishing area, if its low they go back into the New Fork, which has public access behind the airport, I used to float from Pinedale to Boulder. and have floated from Upper Green to Fontenelle.
  10. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    attachment_1417310961087_IMG_0023.JPG photo 2.JPG
    slowriding, pratered and Strong Bad like this.