GRIM - The '78 KLZ400 Adventure Chopper

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JB2, Oct 11, 2020.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:

The Lowbrow Customs and Voodoo Vintage websites show this as their mock-up bike. Note they have dropped the forks in the trees to slam the bike. GRIM will use the full length of the stock fork and have a slight up-rake to the stance. They also don't show how they resolved all the tabbing and placement issues... which is good. To tell you the truth I haven't found one of these finished so I have the advantage of losing any influence from previous builds.

[​IMG]

The next step in this process is to relocate the brake pedal pivot. After freeing it from the stub it showed that it would need some notching to fit tight against the center-brace and align with the factory position.

[​IMG]

The first thing to do is to remove the little bit of weld left behind...

[​IMG]

... then mark the area to be notched. The bracket is a 2-piece affair with a weld in the overhang of the base piece. That weld is what needs to be removed to get a flush fit to the center-brace.

[​IMG]

The amount removed gives it a notch to fit tight.

[​IMG]

Like this, so that it fits...

[​IMG]

... like this.

The next step is to give it a quick cleaning in the sand blaster then tack in place. It's at the point now that I need to purchase a rear fender to set the additional cross-braces and incorporate a brake anchor.

[​IMG]

I've been looking at this. Handmade in the USA by Cooper Smithing Co. Check out his video. I'd much prefer to support a cottage artisan than grab the cheapest round piece of metal on JP Cycles. I'm going to touch base to see if he'll make a matching front fender at 4" wide. Handmade and ready to paint or polish? Not from overseas, I can attest. :nod

@Jim K in PA - It's a fine line between going all the way and keeping it simple but yeah, ain't no corners being cut.

@3legs - Me too. Dig your Isle of Mann avatar!

Thanks @radianrider and @villageidiot

We have been losing some great musicians this year. Billy Joe Shaver left us just this week. :fpalm I couldn't help but dig out his CD's and play them. Here's a song that is so telling in retrospect. What are you leaving behind? GRIM is going to be one of my leave behinds... "gonna live forever now!" Choppers Forever! :D RIP BJS.

Stay Tuned!

2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:

WOW! Okay, I have been in contact with Joe from Cooper Smithing Co. He will make a matching 4" wide fender for GRIM. I won't get into the details except to say if you are building a righteous street bike and want the best parts you can get for your build it pays to research and patronize the cottage community of craftsmen who support our disease. Many thanks Joe. I will be all giddy waiting for those handmade parts.

Here is the video I referred to in the previous post.

3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Nice hand made. What a craft. His helper is awesome too!
    Helibee and JB2 like this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I caught that. Maybe she'll be hammering out fenders for her contemporaries one of these days. She certainly looks like she's happy to be working with her dad. Good stuff.
  5. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:

So Saturday started out as a bust. We set up Josh to start welding his frame and we were out of Argon/Co2. Eh! :augie

[​IMG]

The first thing I did was to set up a longer, sturdier table to mock the bike up on.

[​IMG]

I hauled the front end down stairs to the basement and began the process of installing it back on the bike with a lot of cleaning along the way. I disassembled it and removed the dust boots permanently. The upper portion of the tubes, where the headlamp ears were, is rusted badly. I will either replace them or have them re-chromed but for now I just wanted the crap off of there to ease in sliding the tubes in and out of the trees.

[​IMG]

A little work with 220 grit emory and they're clean enough for a mock-up.

[​IMG]

Here she is with the front fork installed. I do like the sit of the bike. Very much so.

[​IMG]

I also cut the rivets holding the front fork brace and removed the fender. I intend on using this brake on Joe Cooper's fender. I am also going to run a lower brace. This bike will see off-roading and I want the extra protection of a longer front fender.

[​IMG]

I pulled the table around to try to get a better picture. I need the fenders and a set of handlebars to start fitting the cross-braces and the gas tank but I'm killing the detail jobs on the downtime.

Sunday's comin' next. I got a slew of little jobs done and fitted to the bike. Another one by The Picturebooks. That feeling only on a smaller scale(not the feeling, the shop).

Vroom! Vroom! Stay Tuned!

6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:

So Sunday started out with a long "honey-do" list from Mrs. JB2(KB1) and a ton of little jobs that could be worked in to the day. I've been thinking about footpegs and found several sets I liked but the one that spoke to me the most looked awful familiar. :hmmmmm Then I remember I had a set that came off the Scrambler when it was new. Will Yammie fit Kaw?

[​IMG]

The left side installed. The yoke for the peg is a bit high to let it fully raise but the stop, the indexing and pin diameter are an exact fit. I'll need to trim about a 1/4" off the top and reshape the radius. Easy fix and they're free but most of all... they're not billet.

[​IMG]

The right side installed. Sweet.

[​IMG]

The next thing on the list today is sandblasting these three parts. Note the duct tape still on the shaft of the brake pedal pivot shaft. Protecting the innards.

[​IMG]

The bracket clamped into place and the pedal slipped on. The hardware is getting soaked in CLR.

[​IMG]

I grabbed the first bits of hardware out of the cleaning pan. Could have used a little more time in the solution but all of this stuff will get cleaned again and possibly replaced.

[​IMG]

Then I installed the sanitized kickstand and spring. Kickstand up...

[​IMG]

... kickstand down. Looks like it will work perfectly. I'll know once it is on the ground. :nod

[​IMG]

Next I sandblasted the brake anchor arm. It will get drilled with lightening holes then painted silver.

[​IMG]

The next issue was the ill fitting coil and plug wire set-up.n They shoot out the front and all the slack lies just below the neck and the horn location. It is an Emgo until and had generic/universal wire length. By turning the coil around in the bracket I can tuck the wires easily under the tank.

[​IMG]

Next I sandblasted the upper motor mount plates and the coil bracket. The coil bracket needs to have the elongated hole and the original hole welded shut then re-drilled and reshaped. I'll run it into the shop tomorrow and take care of that task.

More to come for sure. So much detail work to give it the level of finish I want to achieve.

Let's go back in time. Who remembers this movie? :beer

Stay Tuned!

7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Nice work! Does your Mrs know you have the hall Persian carpet runner under your bike?
    JB2 likes this.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Yeah, she gave it to me. The tablet it is setting on is hers. Didn't want to scratch it up else suffer the fate. :fishie :lol3
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    btw... I see you have parts for both, go chain drive. it's an easy parts change for sprockets. the belts for the belt drive version are not standard and NOS are high if you can find one, and old when you do. there are people that can make you one but then again, you have to pull the swing arm to install it
    villageidiot and JB2 like this.
  10. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Definitely going chain drive. :thumb
    villageidiot likes this.
  11. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That brake stay arm is screaming to be remade in a piece of aluminum
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more but once this one is drilled and refinished it will serve the purpose. I'm using upswept exhaust with mufflers so it will get buried behind the pipes. I'm also counting $$$ and trying to reuse or re-purpose all the parts I can so that I can purchase better parts for the ones that need replaced... like the fenders. The engine will also get a refurbish. I was thinking along the same lines as your suggestion with a matching chain-guard on the other side. We'll see.
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nah - welded link chain . . .
    JB2 likes this.
  14. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    hard pass on that bullshit
    Bigeyedfish, JB2 and Beezer like this.
  15. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm saying away from decorating the bike. If you can picture a Scott Flying Squirrel with a Kawasaki vertical-twin engine then you have an idea how this build will turn out. All ideas welcome though. I have a pile of railroad spikes that will probably end up being footpegs on a build if Josh doesn't find them and use them on his 9'6" chopper. :lol3
    villageidiot and trumpet like this.
  16. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a joke . . . I guess I should have used a smiley thing . . . :lol3:lol3
    villageidiot and JB2 like this.
  17. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    To tell you the truth I suspected that but couldn't read the humor. :photog
    Jim K in PA and villageidiot like this.
  18. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm having trouble visualizing that, because of the Scott's signature low-slung frame and tank.

547085da61467619a4716601864423c9--flying-squirrel-squirrels.jpg

I would think with an air-cooled vertical twin and that frame, it would end up looking more like an A7 overall.

maxresdefault.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  19. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Actually the A7 is closer in looks, I agree. When I was shopping for fenders I was also looking at vintage parts. I found a rear fender for a Flying Squirrel that really caught my eye and noticed how similar the lines were to the rigid Kaw. Not the center mass but the wheelbase, seat height, upswept pipes and rake. Still haven't decided on a tank yet but have been looking at the T120 tank as an option. The bike will have some British parts for sure.
  20. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    DSC01113.JPG

Squirrel has a good look to it.

Attached Files:

JB2 likes this.