Gringo in Paradox - Travels in Colombia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Champe, Nov 24, 2019.

1. ALLMOSTHERE

ALLMOSTHERE Make to best of everything

Oddometer:
    Home centre and ace hardware are your best bet for fuses are they the micro type ?
    Hell my bike doesn't have any fuses Can Bus system what ever that means
  2. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suppose they are micro. They have two inline blades, color coded plastic. 10A are red. I think you are supposed to tell if they are bad by looking at the top, but I always end up pulling them to be sure. I am short red fuses right now because of the fan. Prolly pick some up tomorrow.
  3. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simon Bolivar statue in Santa Marta. This is in the historic district. Very nice looking bronze. I would imagine similar to the one in Bogotá. Only this one is relatively unmolested.
    0AFF3B52-E6ED-4AD9-97D5-1380F0AD9365.jpeg

Shark oil for sale
    B16B1B2B-7703-4934-9828-5999694C1800.jpeg

This probably does not mean what you think.
    881BC3B5-9C46-4134-8577-B6A4FE8D244A.jpeg
    modiorne, roadcapDen and GringoRider like this.
  4. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    dont piss in the garden that is probably meant for humans with no respect COSTENOS I figure
    me and my little pincher are bypassing Santa Marta we are travelling from bucaramanga to Aguachica to Valledupar then to Riohacha one day travel tempImageE3L1Kb.jpg
    Champe and GringoRider like this.
  5. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    flesh is all that matters with Colombian chicks bikes dont mean shit I like my company
    Champe and GringoRider like this.
  6. GenXrider

GenXrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hardwire the Baja fan to get you to Medellin.

In Medellin, take the bike to Africa Motos or Motobox, both decent shops, although it's not a hard job, so most shops in Medellin should be able to help.
    Actually, over the back of Africa Motos you will find maybe 100+ mechanics and accessory places. You will easily find the OEM fan and someone to change it out.
    CaneloBama and Champe like this.
  7. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    pisar means …to step on

It was a trick question…. but I warned you…I did not think Almosthere would fall into the trap.

The pocket dog looks good though. I notice that stores are not as uptight about letting dogs in as they are in the states. I had mini Dachshunds (my ankle biters) to go along with my Rottweilers. No trouble with them around.
    GringoRider likes this.
  8. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cooling fan

Tried to return the cooling fan this morning but John is not there. Nobody knows anything…except they all want to take over my account.

Ordered a new one at the Bajaj/Auteco dealership. They do have a small shop but the service manager will not touch my bike. He is standoffish. Says the part will be here Saturday.

The older guy..Henry… one of the sidewalk mechanics, found the part on Mercado Libre…the Colombian EBay, But it would take 7 days to get here. And I had trouble opening a Mercado Libre account a while back.

I really don’t like riding without the fan, so I will exhaust all local options before going to Medellin. I have filed the Medellin shop info for future reference though…thank you for the guidance.
    GringoRider likes this.
  9. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think they like to admit it, but I think the song…Quiero Dinero….I want money….speaks a lot of truth. Some bikes, like the big Harleys, represent a lot of money here, so they score some points. Adventure bikes are a bit of a turn off, since they represent…here today, gone tomorrow.
    GringoRider likes this.
  10. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really cant be more happy with Africa Motos. The owner Andres is amazing and i had an appointment a few days ago akd really felt the best service ive ever had.

[email protected]

Email him and he will treat you right
    Champe likes this.
  11. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    +1 on you
  12. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    I dont know Medellin to well but I purchased my bike and accessories there
    Paisas are all about making shit happen Its the only place in Colombia that has this attitude they are on the ball
    I went to the Ferria de Dos Ruedas > two wheel exhibition . in 2019 Its the Largest motorcycle exhibition in South America 450 exhibits 3 days
    Not far from Africa Motos is a giant exhibition hall. it was great The Paisas know how to put on a show
    Now if I could only find some Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires Africa Moto doesn't have them
  13. JuddS

Oddometer:
    Im north of medellin now by 5 hourd and have spent the last few dsys talking to drivers from the different departments. Those guys who are on tje road for work and live in the departments where im researching seem to have legitimate information. Here are a few tidbits.

1) it has heated up a bit with the guerreros going north out of medellin and from santa rosa de osos to caucasia there have been a bunch of recent kidnappings. Apprentlynin that stretxh of road its best not to stoo too much.

Im told from neive to popoyan both routes 26 and 24 have seen a lot more recent violence.

The US State department is strait up refusing to provide assistance if you get in a jam in narino, choco or cauca. They are all on the level 4 advisory which really not to many places globally are on. Syria, north korea and some other war torn regions are on level 4, but as far as i understand, and im no expert, the level 4 places do have some serious potential for problems. I still think that daytime riding on main routes is ok, but i guess im going to be s lot more cautious than i had anticipated if i ever decide to head back down there. It liiks like everytjing north or bogota, with the exception of the area right around Venezuelaz seems to be relatively conflict free.

Its hard to tell what is hyperbole and what is real, but I csn say the locals i spoke to today truly were fearful of several of those areas. All kept msking the point that while the major conflict ended with the political solution several years ago, it left all the low level fighters without a paycheck and needing cash more than they used to. They also spoke about the more fragmented fighting groups having a lot smaller scsle conflict, but more frequent flareups in the killing.
    BryanQ and Champe like this.
  14. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    Were you hear for the Riots Hell they were a Gas
    I worked 3 months in Qibdo department of Choco
    Every day I worked airside of the airport terminal and thought there must be a war going on. Military transports doing Crew changes every week thousands of solders in and out of the bush Blackhawk gunships with rocket launchers even Spooky the dreaded turbine DC 3 with a big machine gun sticking out of the Port side of the cabin
    The DC 3 would land in the early morning dawn after a night mission And you could smell the gun powder a hundred meters away they called the ship the Fantasma , Seeing the shit ass grins of the aircrew was cool knowing that they liked there job I was glad to get the hell out of that place after 3 months the bad guys in the bush were shooting at our planes I was Fixing bullet holes
  15. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    Bandits 1 Surveyors 0 this hole is on the LH rear spar On a Piper Navajo EA4CCBCE-AD68-476F-B272-CA1DA4124190.jpeg
    GringoRider likes this.
  16. GenXrider

GenXrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road from Medellin, Santa Rosa to Caucasia is fine. The road via Segovia is a different story, a little hot in places according to some mining friends I have working in that location and should be avoided if you are a newbie to Colombia.

That said....

If I listened every time a local told me not to go someplace in Colombia, I wouldn't have seen anything the past 10yrs riding in Colombia.
    Often they have sketchy 3rd hand info, have never been in that area/location, and assume as a foreigner you are an easy or obvious target.

I have only been stopped once by Palamilitries/FARC and that was between Popayán and San Agustín.
    If you don't get in their business or not an obvious problem, they will leave you alone as they don't want the hassle.

Whenever I'm not sure, I ask at the local police station or military checkpoints if I run across any.
    First-hand, boots on the ground info that has served me well and I have yet to have any problems (touch wood).

I rode from Cúcuta to Aguachica a few months ago for the 3-4th time with no issues.
    I wanted to ride in and around Hacari, but the cops advised against it due to the fighting going on in that area (Parque Catatumbo), so I didn't :-)

We all have our own risk/reward levels, I guess mine is a little higher than some others.

Stay safe!
    roadcapDen, BryanQ and ALLMOSTHERE like this.
  17. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    GenX you are right about sketchy 3rd hand info. Probably the most dangerous situation in Colombia in My opinion are the Ambulance Drivers
    Its Probably the Best job in Colombia I figure, Because they get to drive like lunatic idiots, are very dangerous on one lane back roads And the best thing about there job is, we all know that Colombians like to Make Noise
    the Louder the better
    Alot of Motorcyclists have been killed by ambulance drivers
  18. caribryder

caribryder Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan
  19. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the National Geographic map, that someone here mentioned. It is pretty good but it could be better. Dan’s spiral bound detail map sounds perfect. I would order one for sure. There is one like that for Mexico that is considered the best for that area.

GPS and Google are great but paper is better for overall views and a solid backup.

War stories....lov’em. Danger points with FARC or other groups need to be known. I have no desire for first hand knowledge on this so please share.

Around here there are no bullet holes in anything. I spent the day sailing on a 51 foot ketch. I invited a young female hostel resident and we went to a Tayrona beach. It was a good relaxing day.

I tried speaking with my mechanic ... he was on station a bit before 6, when they usually quit. He is backing up his work. He says the fan is guaranteed so he will get the money back. And he offered to install my new fan, which I should get tomorrow, for free.
    GringoRider and BryanQ like this.
  20. JuddS

Oddometer:
    Well, ive really been talkinf to a number of people asking about riding in Cauca and specifically crossing Huila to Popoyan and everyone i speak to says its a very bad idea. I spoke with a coffee buyer who visits farms down towars pasto akd he said no way. I spoke to 2 adv riders from Cali who say they have seen the whole country and i spoke with an aid worker building wells for the super poor. All of them say its no go and i guess if i were down there, i would not go thst way. They say if you need to get to equador the only way to go right now is to ride the pan american with stops only in popoyan and pasto. The border also appears to have gotten worse to the south as the lack of legitimate border crossings has increased the criminal element and made people in the zone even more poor.

Im not an alarmist by any means amd find the vast majority of colombia safe for riding. But my current opinion is that the state department is pretty spot on with what the locals are telling me. Avoid cauco and some of the adjacent areas.