Gringo in Paradox - Travels in Colombia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Champe, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got caught with one of their cameras in Wiesbaden Germany in 1991. 53 in a 50km zone.
  2. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was with two other riders at the GP motorcycle races in Assen, Holand, when they both got tagged by speed cameras. I was on a US plated bike so they did not chase me down. Most likely I was going the same speed as my buddies.
  3. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pico Placa….again

For those just joining us, this is a system for reducing traffic in big cities in Colombia. Around 10 of the largest cities each have unique rules. These rules can and do change frequently. Right now in Bogota the official rule applies to all private vehicles, Monday thru Friday, 6 to 8:30 AM and 3-7:30 PM. Even numbered plates can not be on the road on even calendar days and odd numbered plates are banned on odd numbered days.

So I asked Claudio, the hostel owner and a moto rider what the deal was. He said it only applies to cars. That conflicts with what is written….but what is really important is what is enforced.

So I did a study today . I walked around the block noting all license plates on bikes that were being operated. Parked did not qualify. Time was 5 to 5:20 PM. The tally was 42 odd and 30 even. It is an odd day….Oct. 15. Those 42 look to me like they are technically in violation. So my conclusion is that the rule is not enforced on motorcycles in Bogota.

On my walk I did witness two cars in apparent violation. It is possible to buy an exemption so one may have been ok. This one was obviously not. Poor guy is packing his bags.
    66E06566-B247-4339-99AE-FFDCA00FC9CE.jpeg
  4. ALLMOSTHERE

ALLMOSTHERE Make to best of everything

Oddometer:
    They took down the camera 6 months after I was busted I did not know it was there and it was 5:30 am North América I believe if you are 10 percent over you get a ticket here they are super assholes and today is my no ride day i definitely don’t drive in pico placa not worth the hassles I mean a mill full of BS to get your bike back You have a small percentage of the mileage that I have and the more you drive the higher odds of getting caught
    GringoRider and Champe like this.
  5. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    I looked up pico placa bogota motos not applicable the economy would probably collapse if they banned moto I figure because it has been so dependent on moto delivery since Covid smaller city’s like Bucaramanga definitely have it and when I got busted I asked what the reasons for pico placa The officers said it was to lesson the pollution not traffic congestion WTF go figure environmental conscious colombianos ! Crock of shit
    GringoRider likes this.
  6. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    Speaking of traffic congestion it is a problem in Colombia although there are only 6 million cars and 9 million motorcycles Not much compared to North American standards For one the arquitecture is not good city planning is terrible and corruption is rampid it is a result of congestion but the biggest reason is driving habits The rule is there are no rules drive any way that suits your needs forget about anyone else might as well remove all the rear view mirrors because they aren’t used or signals for that matter done my traffic rant I guess I’ll just have to live with it
    GringoRider likes this.
  7. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can’t beat them, join them.

The traffic in Bogota is a bit hectic. People cut corners all the time and I think that helps. If the cops cracked down on that the congestion would increase.

What bothers me is when people stop in traffic. It is usually cars taking on or discharging passengers, but recently a driver was blocking traffic while eating his lunch. Motorcycles do it too,,,often looking at their cel phone.

Personally I cannot do that because I worry about getting rear ended.

I could not live with pico placa on a regular basis. I would go somewhere else. Or maybe get a second vehicle.

I see they have killed off the rental electric scooters. Why not just make all motorized vehicles illegal ? Problem solved. New problem created. Typical government solution.

Speaking of electric scooters...I like them, although I have not ridden one. Just last week I ordered an electric unicycle. I can ride a manual one but I think the electric will be faster, more maneuverable and more fun.
    GringoRider likes this.
  8. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    The main cities have pico placa and usually there is a smaller city right beside the main like Bucaramanga> 5 km away Floridablanca no pico placa
    its basically the same place with a border line being a boulevard and the cops are usually at a strategic place to nab you cause they are sneaky
    GringoRider and Champe like this.
  9. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just looked up Bucaramanga pico placa. Looks like everyone is banned one day during the week. Effective 6 AM to 8 PM. And one Saturday per month... 9 AM to 1 PM.

Santa Marta is worse. You re banned two days a week.

And Bogota is the worst (for cars only), where you are banned every other day.
  10. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do they handle the photo tickets on foreign plated bikes with no registered address? I’ve been riding all over with zero regard to the speed limits and have blown threw dozens of areas that have the radar enforced signs at up to 175 Kim. I don’t imagine they will be able to find my bike before I cross into Ecuador.
  11. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you will have any issues import permit is another matter. Colombia has a system called SIMIT and all Colombian plated vehicles are in this system And there is one thing I know is that not all cameras are working the little white vans with radar cameras are working The ones on the pole are mostly unoperative but you never know until you log in to simit it tells you if you have a ticket I have blown thru many cameras just not paying attention at my excessive speed usually just above and haven’t had a ticket the byway from Santa Marta to Cartagena is bad there are a lot of active cameras in vans but there’s warning signs Champe look up simit and type in the plate number your name and document. Number see if your clear
    GringoRider likes this.
  12. gmax

gmax Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. gmax

gmax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought this book on Amazon and am headed down to Colombia in November to do some riding. Champe, have you read it?
    GeoAggie likes this.
  14. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not only did I read it.... I wrote about it here when it first came out. And again after I read it. And before all that I met with Jeff at his place in Medellin. That was trip two.

I do highly recommend the book.

Be careful and have fun on your trip. What are you riding ? How long are you staying ? Where are you going ?
  15. gmax

gmax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding the Honda XRE 300 that I bought new in Medellin just before Covid. Heading back to Medellin and plan to ride East to Santander, Windows of Tisquizoke. Then to the Emerald mines in Boyaca before heading South to Salamina and the coffee region. I'm meeting up with a group of guys from Finland for a 16 day ride. Will stay about a month. Flights are cheap right now.
  16. gmax

gmax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda XRE 300 IMG-20200828-WA0008.jpg
  17. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    omg I am so far behind:p3rry

Pics still looking good man, I will be back to catchup on what I missed!
  18. bad luck

bad luck Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been so busy lately, but when I get caught up I'll read the entire post.
    But I just ordered the book on Amazon.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
  19. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming home from Guatavita in the rain was not that great. Luckily I had my raincoat along. And we did dodge the worst thunderstorms. Just had intermittent, mostly light rain. Rain was heavy while entering Bogota and I did have a pucker moment when I was riding defensively because of bd visibility. Traffic was dense and fast so I was not into lane splitting there. So I was in the middle of a lane when I saw a big pothole too late and had to go straight through. It was deep and full of water. For a second I thought this is it, but the Duke tracked right back out of the pothole like a champ.

Took a day off riding and walked around town. I became a patron of this street artist. Good lively jazz.
    0344CEAF-6F55-4441-8BD5-AA5F5A835A75.jpeg

Some of my good buddys on a street corner in Santa Rosa on Sunday. You don’t get much easier duty,
    744B2971-D542-4DBD-AD28-F58F3A8C40B2.jpeg

This is what real work looks like. These guys are drilling in Bolivar / Heroes park. They were pulling up the drill rod when I was there. They had to unscrew it section by section. There were about 60 feet worth on the rack when I left.
    3D9FD24F-DC5D-4A64-897E-318BC39A462A.jpeg

Attached Files:

falcofred and GringoRider like this.
  20. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suesca

This is a small town an hour and a half ride North of Bogota. Near Zipaquira. It is the rock climbing mecca of Colombia. I used to do this and I figure it could be a good spectator sport now. So today’s preparations were different. I am tired of getting wet and cold. The solution is to just wear my heavy touring jacket. What a difference it made ! Of course it was not tested much..just a little rain. But that is how it is when you are prepared.

When I was selecting a destination on Googlemaps, I noticed that Suesca also has a motocross track. That was the first stop. It is on
    FC839B9C-BAD4-48EB-AF33-7438E38DA164.jpeg

The famous Suesca rocks are actually a long cliff about a mile long and a couple hundred feet high. There is a railroad track running along the base. There are lots of climbing routes all over the place, mostly just parts of the cliff. A full length climb anywhere requires some advanced moves.
    A7E92C0A-B037-4E1C-BB17-1B37E607B6C0.jpeg
    This is the road indicated by google. The loose gravel next the track was the best option. Big rocks are right around the corner. 8B712EEF-8477-466C-806E-BF58D28721A9.jpeg This is a side outcropping, on the other side of the tracks from the main cliff. From the wear it looks like a popular short climb. BB0E62A9-CFC3-4904-A915-DEAD374C35D4.jpeg EB8E995A-E350-4A54-BD9D-B34B2133C2C2.jpeg AE25F8CF-7539-4E25-9C5F-1EF9E3D4A6F1.jpeg
    roadcapDen, fasttortoise, Cal and 4 others like this.