Gringo in Paradox - Travels in Colombia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Champe, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suesca was pretty cool. Climbers like cracks but basically solid rock. This is a nice looking route.
    E367DA3D-0EBE-43E9-B0F9-423D1ADA8247.jpeg

This route looks pretty advanced. That hanging vegetation is everywhere and looks like a problem near the top. AD819BB4-14C4-4BDB-9DD3-5E5335F94D93.jpeg

Motoorcycle eye view of the cliff and tracks 39DAFF68-5ED5-49E6-ADA7-F821704C1D6B.jpeg
    Some interesting routes right there. Wish I had the guidebook. I hear they are on line now. Back in the day you would have a paper guidebook with route descriptions and difficulty ratings.
    56E3D055-864D-4970-BC82-F0380CD808FA.jpeg

I bet most of this has not been climbed. A lot of it has thick jungle at the base.
    A9D3A8B3-4F62-4F19-A7C3-6ECABB47D2D9.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    That’s disappointing. I’m here for the good, the bad and the ugly. Not a fairytale.

eta: really enjoying your report. please keep posting if Mexico is next
  3. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with the Quick Turtle, let us hear it all.
    pro69ss likes this.
  4. ALLMOSTHERE

ALLMOSTHERE Make to best of everything

Oddometer:
    Now 2 weeks after my trip to the desert in alto Guajira Punta Gallinas - Nazerth my F700gs cam chain is stretched so bad that I have shut the bike down 60000 km
    600 km in desert sand , mud and water has taken its toll the sound is unbearable with the cam chain rattle I have ordered a replacement and will do it myself 200 bucks
    I'm glad I made it home and have great respect for desert racers the ultimate test for man women and machine
    I think there are a lot of Avriders that seem to have a priority to go to the bottom of SA I have never been to Ushuai but I have been to Punta Arenas because my job has taken me there in aviation then off to Antarctica . I would like to read if there are any reports of anybody that has gone to the northern tip of South America I used to work in Tuktoyaktukt Beaufort Sea of Canada you can't go any further in North America on a public road
    hell I have no need to travel there on a moto
    if you want to see some place out of the ordinary go to the alto Guajira you will be amazed you can stay at places that have hammocks and see the constellation Milky Way at night ausome place Dunas Taroa
    Champe and GringoRider like this.
  5. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have rode to the tip of SA and back, and to Tuk, ( I recommend ). I met you near Palomino, and now I wish I went all the way to the north tip of SA Damm,

BTW. I enjoy this thread!! I can read along. Champe lets guys input experiences, tell their stories, and gets us back on track. I don't need to hear about all the negative things, your style is perfect. Plus as I read along I don't have to worry about someone asking for money or starting a mini go fund me.

Excellent read
    knight and Champe like this.
  6. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: negative and positive

One goal of this report is to impart the overall feeling of the trip. I have to leave out lots of minor experiences...good and bad... or I would be blathering forever and it would be boring. So I will go for realism.

At the moment you have me thinking of “opportunities for improvement “.

Well, part of staying at any hostel is getting to know the quirks. Here at 82 Hostel, there is a shortage of working showers. And the hot water is intermittent. In the kitchen they have only cold water and it comes out at a heavy trickle. The kitchen supplies pots and pans but all the pans are aluminum with the nonstick coating worn off completely. All the pans have wavy bottoms.

Of course there are solutions. With showers...it depends on the hostel or hotel. Quite often expensive ones will only have cold water. And sometimes the cheapest will have a great hot shower. With the kitchen, I often rewash dishes before I use them. And I bought my own pan.

Weather.

Colombia has extremes. From too hot to too cold. You can dial in something in between by adjusting your altitude. Bogota is a little cold and the rainy season (now) has some rain almost every day. In the coastal areas it is really hot. Extra dangerous on a motorcycle if you go without a suit...fun though. The temperatures are perfect if you have a strong wind. A suit becomes unbearable quick if you stop riding.

So stay away from the extremes. Not really...visit the extremes. But long term, maybe a moderate climate is best. I guess that is why they have Medellin, Cali and the coffee region. Of course there are lots of smaller towns all over the country that are at coffee growing altitude. Many of them have pleasant micro climates. The rolling hills planted with crops is a good sign of a pleasant climate in my opinion.
  7. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
  8. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    I take it you love Colombia Jeff , come on back Chlole will remember you what ever your riding jajaja
  9. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    tempImage8AeBJ2.jpg
    Champe, GeoAggie and GringoRider like this.
  10. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Gracias for a great report and always like the climate info'.
    Champe likes this.
  11. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ALLMOSTHERE

i juat read that article you pointed out and I want to make sure Im reading it correctly. It says that 180 days after it is published, then cars, bikes etc can enter the region without the need to do the paperwork as it stands today. But the article does not say anything about the borders opening anytime soon. I also saw an article last week that ecuador just said last week that they will not be opening the border for at least another 60 days. Am I correct???
  12. ALLMOSTHERE

Oddometer:
    hey Judds for the life of me I can't figure out what the website is talking about I think the content is lost in translation it happens a lot when you use google translate
    eluniverso.com where did this establishment come from or on what authority did they get there information
    I still say no herd immunity 70% no getting out of the pasture only time will tell
    Im just happy that a big bag of grub costs 50 thousand pesos instead of 50 bucks
    My bike is parked cam chain skipped a couple of teeth on the exhaust cam sprocket , piston hammered the valves
    good news is I found a complete head used with valve train fo 150 bucks cam chain $ 130 master link and guides $ 50 gaskets $ 60
    and a secure little parking garage for 120 mil pesos this will be my project for the next month December I hope to be riding again
    Surprising there are a lot of parts for the F700/800 on eBay but it is the internet be careful what you wish for
  13. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you get parts shipped in from the US ? Sorry to hear the beemer having damage. There is something unlucky about the Guijara. My drivetrain started sounding awfull and needing adjustment frequently. The cheap set on it now is smooth as silk.

I am still in Bogota and have been making short morning trips, since it pretty much always rains in the afternoon now. And I may have no bike after today.

so this may be my last photo of the countryside. Who knows what is planted here ? My guess is sugar cane, but I know nothing.
    1164C412-0070-4DB8-81E1-8A7CADA693AA.jpeg

Back in Bogota one of the morning runs went to Usaquen market. This is an upscale neighborhood that has a street flea market. Here is a vendor that sells Venezuelan bank notes, and intricate figures made from them.
    2418AA93-9DD9-4CB3-ADCA-CA5B97478288.jpeg
  14. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brand new mural in Bogota.
    450251F2-534C-4B4D-91DD-4DBF02FA7F35.jpeg

Street hockey in Usaquen…a nice neighborhood in Northern Bogota
    4BAD236F-052C-41B5-9350-DCC9019463B9.jpeg
  15. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simon Bolivar in Usaquen Park
    26D2E7A3-D59B-48D5-9277-5906CB4DF019.jpeg

A street vendor at the Usaquen flea market had several products with this message.
    4DBF22C9-470B-452D-8093-F8EA2FDCE90F.jpeg
  16. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    A drum group. Half women, half men, performing in front of Carullos supermarket, where I buy groceries.
    41D4BC32-B365-4A21-9B03-87283EB0D33B.jpeg

Artwork in Usaquen… I do not get it.
    33F93868-AD7D-45F2-87BA-ABF9C2425704.jpeg
    531blackbanshee and fasttortoise like this.
  17. JuddS

Oddometer:
    Champe, I have a question. Have you thought about getting on the app Tinder? It is like gods gift to single American men traveling abroad. You will have like 100 women a day from Bogota trying to match with you. Tinder wants to keep its female clients happy and many Colombian woman want to match with an American man, so they will show your photo to all the best looking women first. It doesn't work so well in the USA, but I'm sure in Colombia it would be amazing. Its a simple process. Just download the app, upload at least 3 photos of yourself and write the words "Hablo poco Espanol" in the Bio part.
    roadcapDen and Champe like this.
  18. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I have not considered Tinder. Good idea, especially if you are in one place for a little while. Can you change your bio to reflect current locations when you travel ?
  19. JuddS

Oddometer:
    Tinder is absolute magic! You can go to the "Settings" and select the area you want it to show you women from. So, if you are in Bogota, you can select "Current Location" and then decide if you want to search within a certain distance from your current location. I would typically set 3 miles from my current location. Even better, if you are going to a new location in a few days, you can pre-select that location a few days before and they will start showing your photo to the women in the location where you are going to go. By the time you get to the new location, you will already have matched with a number of women and have dates lined up.

A few important notes:

-Tinder will give you a ranking, called an ELO Score, that is very important. It is a complex algorithm, but its based on photos, profile, your responses to women etc. They want to figure out why you are on Tinder and then give you those types of matches. You can find whatever you want on Tinder. If you want a wife, there are tens of thousands of women looking for a husband. If you want to get laid, there are tens of thousands of women looking for that. If you want a chick who is into some weird fetish, you can find it. There are lots of "scorts" and "prepagadas" on Tinder also, so you will be approached by a lot of hookers.

- Make sure that if you match with a woman and she messages you that you at least respond to the message with something. If you don't, then Tinder gets mad at you for being rude and will show you to less women in the future and they will show you to the women who also got in trouble for not responding to men.

- Ask a woman to choose your photos. Men are bad at choosing their own photos, so you need to have a woman do it. Tinder also has a feature to choose your best photos, although I'm not sure how good the algorithm is. I assume pretty good, but you can also upload your photos to photobucket.com and pay to have hundreds of women rate your photos and then use that data to choose. your first photo is key. I's suggest looking as american as you can in that photo.

- If you are not looking to pay for sex, then perhaps you want to put something in the bio that says "no pago por sexo". That will help weed out the hookers a little bit.

- There are definitely people on there looking to drug and/or kidnap an American, so I would be cautious. When I was using Tinder a lot in my travels, I would hire a driver to stay with me during all Tinder dates and make sure I made it home safely. I never left a drink alone and I was cautious. Given that your spanish is limited, I think it will be hard for your to tell the woman's intentions, but who knows.

- Tinder also has a feature where you pay a few bucks to "boost" your profile. So, you pay something like 5 bucks and hit the boost button and for like an hour they show your photo to hundreds if not thousands of women. If you do this, you will increase your matches exponentially. But, use the boost button at the right time when lots of women are on tinder. I would guess in colombia that is in the evening from like 5 to 9pm.

I've read all there is to read about dating apps and could go on forever on how to have the most success, but those are the basics.
    fasttortoise and GeoAggie like this.
  20. JuddS

Oddometer:
    Also, photos with a dog in them get a lot more matches. A few years ago I was in Mexico City on a motorcycle trip and read this statistic so I rented a dog from a local dog cleaning place ($2 dollars for the hour) and took a few photos with it. It worked! LMAO.
    roadcapDen likes this.