GRIT: The Great Ride of Idaho Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OrangeYZ, Sep 7, 2019.

1. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR! I did the Grit3 in early Aug with a friend and had a great time, though I should probably have ridden my bike a few times this spring. It turns out that mountain biking doesn't exactly get one in shape for Idaho singletrack on a loaded 525. I ended up getting really tired after a ridiculous no-trail day north of Challis and half-bailing for the last 2 days (of 6). It likely was also not the best idea to ride every single "Special Test" option.

My riding partner Wiles posted a report: https://stappracing.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-wilds-of-idaho-ridaho-grit3-trip.html

We only had Silkys so we had to jump a bunch of trees, though we did cut any smaller than about 10". This one looks familiar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wilfred, BLucare, fuggy and 3 others like this.
  2. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    The air quality and weather were a nice change this year! Last year it was smokey everywhere from those pesky fires. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Thanks for all you do. I still have to email you my GPS track, I've been away from my home PC but will do it within the next week.
  3. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:

Awesome report. I had the same helmet as you and same orange jersey as Wiles on my GRIT3 ride. Weird! Even our bikes looked similar....its like I planned to copy you guys. lol

Where did you guys park the truck in around Idaho City? We were supposed to start there but another guy got ill and bailed a few days before the trip and we changed it up to starting in Pine.

Did you guys ride the marshy trail called Elk Meadows west of Stanley? We were surprised how much water we 'plowed through' and you guys probably had a wetter trail than we did!

Cheers
  4. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know exactly what root you're talking about, it has now beaten my ass on two dual sport trips!

I spent at least a minute trying to figure out how he had a picture of you crossing that log from in front:norton
    fuggy likes this.
  5. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha! Two of my buddies and I crossed the swamp of Elk Meadow then up the rocky hills to Swamp Creek. I have crossed it a couple of times before but never nearly as wet as this year. The only way to follow the "trail" was with a gps track since the grass was so grown over. My other two buddies left before us that day to get a head start, "we don't need no GSP's" they had to cross the swamp twice, never finding the trail or us. We found them later at the cabin though with a lot of swamp grass and mud on their bikes, ha ha.
    You said 0/10 (no good) but we loved it!
    Were you able to see a trail we left at all or was it grown over already?

[​IMG]

Lucky rollergirl, she got to cross the swamp twice!
    She's pretty tough but she's still a girl...
    wilfred and Phoenix101 like this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for sharing your fun.
    fuggy likes this.
  7. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    Ha! We did follow some 'tracks' through the tall grass, but there was 5 or 6 going in all different directions. I was the only one with a GPS on my handlebar and did the best I could at navigating that swamp. Water was spraying over the fender and we had swamp grass woven into our spokes for the next two days. lol Scott emptied out his boots an hour later up those rocky climbs and several cups of water came out. Pro Tip: Don't Buy Gaerne Boots if you live around a wet climate. ..l..
    wilfred likes this.
  8. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Yah, we weren't exactly following one another except for briefly when one guy got a face full of swamp, haha. He didn't follow so close after that!
    fuggy likes this.
  9. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. What a ride! Your photos and video are proof that Idaho singletrack is in a league of its own. We lived in Garden Valley for 10 years and rode in many places around the state but there were some trails in our area that the hubby and I were never brave enough to tackle!
    fuggy likes this.
  10. Scott4x

Scott4x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha you can’t blame the Gaernes when the water comes in from the top... my feet were dry until I messed up and soaked myself basically from head to toe! (And you roosting swamp muck all over my right side didn’t exactly help...)
    Excellent job on the trip report Joe and Chad, already looking forward to next time
    wilfred likes this.
  11. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    Shit what a ride!! Single track for days!
    Thanks for sharing, that Idaho scenery is brethtaking
  12. PK

PK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This southern 5 to 6 day loop is on my radar for next summer with a few buddies. Did you feel the daily mileage requirement to be reasonable for competent trail hacks, or way more than expected?
  13. birdcool

birdcool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say it is a very tough mileage doing all the trails for a average "hack" rider. Fatigue builds up. But if you fall short, you can bypass the remaining trails and still get to each town safely for a recreational challenge.
  14. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lived, how hard could it be? :deal

But what he said ^
    130 miles per day is about twice what we would normally do on a regular riding trip. So instead of riding from 10-5 and taking 3 or 4 good breaks through the day, it was more like 8 to 7 and only a couple of breaks.
    wilfred and birdcool like this.
  15. PK

PK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for confirming the hours needed. So not a leisure trip but doable if you can keep your group moving and are ok with a vacation that doesn’t let you rest all day long.
  16. birdcool

birdcool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride, eat, sleep, repeat. With many challenges and grins mixed in along the way.
  17. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    That was solid gents. Real riding, minimal gear, sleeping out. Everything I like.
    Car Sun Key likes this.