GS 1150 laced wheel weight

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by docgonzo, Mar 1, 2002.

1. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    newbie question:

My friends and I have been arguing the merits of lightweight wheels on our street and track bikes. One friend in particular wants to get carbon fiber Marchissinis.

I look at the laced aluminum wheels on my new GS and think that they must be very light. However, I can't find the specs or them anywhere. The dealer doesn't know where to get that information, and BMW-NA's web site wasn't helpful.

Anyone know how much the front and rear laced rim actually weighs?

later, barry
  2. dik

dik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    greetings from sunny england

an 1100 rear behr rim with 30 grams balance weights a valve, but no tyre or brake rotor weighs 15.5 lbs on our bathroom scales.

hope this helps

all the best
    have fun
    rich
    notts
    uk
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey pep...just curious, but why did you buy an LT when it seems like what you really want/need is a RS?

The LT weighs about 220 lb more than the KRS, yet has 30 fewer HP. What were you thinking??
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    yeah yeah, that's all well and good, but it's still 150lb heavier than a KRS and 30 fewer HP.

I understand the ergo problem with the KRS...I don't feel comfy on them at all. But the KLT ergos are bad in the other direction. You can't choke-up on the bike without looking and feeling like a total dork. It's like trying to hang off of a rocking chair. The tiller bars, forward pegs, bucket seat, and lack of fairing clearance for the knees make it impossible to attain a solid sporting stance on it.

Plus, if you ride it as hard as you say you do, you should also have found the design limits of the chassis, as I did. I added Ohlins front and rear and it still handled like a fat pig. Run it hard and I got wiggles in all conditions. 125mph wiggles on 25 south of Hollister running with the bigdogs made me damn near shit my pants.

Did you know you can't raise the windscreen over 135 indicated? :lol2

fucke.