1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

GS 800 First Ride Impression

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Holden, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to demo ride the bike this weekend for about 20miles.
    I recently sold my 1200GS and was considering a 800 as a replacement - however after the test ride I think will stick with a newer 12GS.

The less weight on the 800 was nice but everythign thing else was just "okay".

If you are going to spend alot of time off road then I agree the less weight is helpful - but if you are going to spend any decent amount of time on the pavement then the 1200GS is just as nimble (and I think quicker) through the twisties, better at freeway speeds, and a better motor.

IMO the 12GS is the greatest all around "adventure" bike. It does everything well - from a track day, to a dual sport ride, to riding two up with gear.

Not sure any other bike could do it all so well. My 2 cents
  2. Hair

Hair On time and on budget. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your demo was on paved roads only.
    I liked my 1200 GS in just about everything but the tight stuff. In fact one the trail started to tighen up the 1200 started loosing out on proformance.

I would say that the 1200 is the best all around bike yet. And it is the best touring bike ever.

But mine had a dry clutch and high gear ratio made my 1200 not the bike to have for my style of riding.
  3. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much, all I can say is, "what HE said!":deal