GS 911 Question

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by enrich, Jan 18, 2020.

1. enrich

enrich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2017 GS; new GS 911 w/ the oblong OBD connector

What's the process for "calibrating" the transmission? Manuals and FAQs not clear on this. I was able to calibrate my fuel mixture, which did seem to make a difference in how the bike ran. Anxious to see what- if anything- the transmission calibration might do.
  2. Mark Hooton

Mark Hooton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guys at Hex offer fantastic support - just a suggestion but if you mail them they normally are very helpful (or they are with me).
    enrich likes this.
  3. enrich

Oddometer:
    Hexcode's been very helpful in getting me up and running with the device. I'm actually looking to hear from someone who has done this on their bike.
  4. Mark Hooton

Oddometer:
    Ah ok, I understand. How did the fuel calibration go? Never done it with mine......
  5. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To calibrate the quickshift you need to be able to run through the gears, I've done it on the center stand others have done it on the road.
  6. enrich

Oddometer:
    Thanks Andy!
  7. enrich

Oddometer:
    Fuel calibration was easy. Select the function then follow the instructions. From memory, all you needed to do was run the motor at idle until the fan kicked in, shut everything down and on restart whatever changes were made are applied.

Bike was running fine before I did this, and after it just seemed to have a smoother idle and felt smoother when applying power. Could all be in my head and wishful thinking though after spending $400 on it. Bit like getting a shave and a good haircut- you were fine when you went in, but feel just that much better afterwards :)...
    Massabusa likes this.
  8. enrich

Oddometer:
    Found an answer for the transmission question here. Only question is can it be done on the center stand or must it be done on the road?

https://advrider.com/f/threads/gs-9...on-euro4-wethead-boxer.1340091/#post-37430619
  9. Mark Hooton

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  10. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Youtube has some good vids
  11. Back2Dirt

Back2Dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B00H9S71LW

If this post belongs somewhere else, please advise. I saw this obd diagnostic tool advertised as ‘works with bmw late model bikes’. I’m a gs-911 owner, and am sure that tool does more than an obd scanner. But I also wondered how much more, in the context of roadside diagnostics and cost/valve.
    Anyone have insight into the existence of obd ports on the newer gs bikes, and the usefulness of obd scanners?

(I saw JVB on this thread and just KNEW he’d have a thought or three!)

Thanks all.
  12. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    is there an issue with your transmission that you’re trying to fix by calibrating it?

13. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    It was old post and looks like more about calibrating SAP rather than transmission...
  14. enrich

Oddometer:
    No issue. Was running through all of the available options on the GS 911 and figured I'd do it for the sake of doing it. Heard that it may help SA work a bit smoother, but I don't regularly use SA.

Ended up doing it on the center stand and running though the gears. Simple to do, but no noticeable change.