GS-911 questions?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PineyMountainRacing, Jun 9, 2019.

1. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the GS-911 since I bought my ‘17 GSA, and have used it to read / clear codes when I had my limp mode episode. But even after watching the videos on theHexCode website and other You tube offerings, I’m still not clear how to use this for anything else, like bleeding the brakes (which I did manually yesterday without cycling the ABS). Plus, I’ve got some general questions.

On HexCodes website it says for Windows XP up to the latest, but in another spot it says Windows 7, 8 or 10 only. All I have used is my iPhone and iPad, but I have a newer MacBook as well as a couple older laptops that are running XP. It would be nice if I could use one of those older notebooks / laptops, but I can take my Mac out to the shop. What do I download in order to use the MacBook?

I’m at 18,000 miles and I have never seen a “service reminder.” I’m assuming since I’ve done all my maintenance a reminder was never entered into the bike’s software? Does the dealer normally do that at the first service?

Yesterday I hooked the GS-911 up to the bike as I was getting ready to flush the brake lines. I have a pretty good understanding of the procedure. So...

I go to my bike and go to ABS section (using the iPad)

B22DD0D2-E496-4CF0-809B-45F2877D27F4.png

but when I click on Service Function I get a message that there is no Internet. I don’t have WiFi out in the shop, but I can turn my cell phone into a hotspot. But if I connect the iPad to the hotspot, I lose the GS-911 connection. On the Youtube videos the Service Function heading seems to pull up the ABS menu and you’re good to go. I don’t understand why I would need Internet to use that function?

29F462AF-7B60-43B1-9B2F-F8AAAF37F832.png

another thing I noticed is that even though I’ve registered the unit and plugged it into my bike, the screen shows “no VINs” associated with it. So what have I done, or not done? Maybe this is my main problem. I need a “GS-911 for dumbasses” so splain it to me like I’m a moran :lol3

2B3DE4CF-AB57-4001-A426-5EF98A45C69C.png

Attached Files:

2. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the internet connection is a PITA!

It is how I use my WIFI GS-911 except I string a 100' cat 5 cable and a Apple AP towards the garage and connect to the AP with the laptop. Open the software on the computer and chances are you take a update.

Use a USB connection on the GS-911 to the laptop, then use the computer to connect to your mobile phone.

You probably need a software or hardware firmware update. It is the delivery system they use, and they know and are looking at it and ways to address it.

If you have a ezCAN update that also while you are there with WIFI.

As to the GS-911 I have a Professional Model and it says that when I connect to my bike every time also. I guess on the Professional Model it cant just save every Vin. I dont mind as I run the scan first anyway for the "record" and save it by date and if there is an error name I use it with the date. However if you do not have a professional then when you connect to the internet it may change it's tune, if not then life is good.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  3. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Wish I could help. My GS-911 is older and is simpler. No wifi at all. Bike to GS-911 to USB to computer. I read how others were having trouble with the wireless version early on and decided not to ‘upgrade’ mine to the fancy dancy version.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I even use my wifi version with a USB when in the garage.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    so for working on the bike, I don’t need Internet? Instead of doing the local WiFi dance with my iDevice, I plug the GS-911 into the bikes OBD2 port, then connect the GS-911 to my MacBook with a usb cable, and open an app on my MacBook? I couldn’t find anything on HexCodes website to download onto my MacBook but I’ll go back and look again. Thanks!
  6. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well not a mac guy but in theory...........

Yes, GS-911 to bike, USB from GS-911 to the Mac Book, then use your phones hot spot using the computer, and you should get a update.

I was told today at breakfast at our BMW Club that the GS-911 now works with the 1250. So that leads me to believe that you will need to take a update. As a matter of fact I may need an update. Let me get it and try now................

Yes it needed a software update to 1904.1

I just plugged it into the USB port of my computer and opened the software, it said an update 1904.1 was available, would I, should I, could I, and I said yes. It updated.

I see a bunch 1250 stuff I have not seen before, but I have not used it in awhile.

Hope that clears it up for you.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    OK, I understand I need Internet for updates, but do I need to be on the Internet to use the GS-911 for example to “bleed my ABS module?” And it looks like I can use one of my old tablets running Windows XP, I’d run out to the shop and grab the 911 now except that a line of thunderstorms is moving thru ATM. I’ll play with this tomorrow. Thanks!
  8. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    So... Do I understand that the GS-911 now works with OS X? I’ve been using GS-911 on my MacBook Pro which has a partitioned hard drive with Windows.

Edit. Never mind. It does not work with OS X.
  9. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not know if you MUST take an update to use the GS-911? I did not look if there was a continue without update button, but I highly doubt it. Since they deliver their firmware updates through the new software updates at times. I think it will just hang.

Hex has a great support page so if you check out their site the information should be there. Here you go.
    http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/g...n-service-functions-through-the-web-interface

Like I say plug it into a computer in your house with the USB cable that comes with it and open the software and take the update and life will as it should be.

I think :D
  10. bhinton77

bhinton77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use my GS-911 plugged into a computer. I have found that a dedicated garage laptop is the best way to connect bike and 911. From the hardwired connection, it walks you through the procedures.
    ultane and JimVonBaden like this.
  11. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to play with mine this weekend. There is just no way to make it work with my MacBook. I was at my daughters so I didn't take my dedicated shop laptop that I normally use. ( Windows 10) As far as I know it won't work with any Mac product unless you run a partitioned windows program. I have no idea how to do that which is to bad as I normally travel with the Mac. I also hook it to the USB port via cable when I do use it. WiFi is too much of a pain to deal with plus unreliable as we found at the big shop. At the work shop I had an early Bosch Scan Tool which connected to the vehicle via WiFi. Hardly ever worked and we had to use the cable for anything serious. Most scan tools we now have use Bluetooth connections which seems to be flawless. Programming is still via cable. My point being I find it surprising that the GS911 uses such a cumbersome architecture when there is much better.
  12. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    I use Bootcamp to run Win 10 on my MacBook Pro. My GS-911WIFI runs fine with that setup. I normally connect directly using USB. I have also run Win 10 under VMware with the GS-911WIFI with no problem.
    LAFS, ultane and MGV8 like this.
  13. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    My shop laptop is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-31. There's a bunch on eBay for pretty cheap. They are super durable. Windows machines. I've literally run it under a faucet and used a green scrubbie to get the grease prints off it. Refit it with a SSD and you're good to go. Everything is digital these days and having a fairly indestructible computer in the shop has been very productive. Works great with my GS-911 and a cable (I have the old bluetooth one). I highly suggest this method.
    WillieJ and JimVonBaden like this.
  14. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Knew there was a way but never have the time to figure it out. I might try or better yet let my young techs at the shop do it for me. Getting Lazy or maybe just behind!!
  15. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    I think that this is a better idea than taking my MacBook Pro to the garage. I used Toughbooks in my work life prior to retirement and they endured a lot.
    MGV8 likes this.
  16. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I was able to load the 911 utility (Windows 7/8/10) onto my old Dell notebook (mini laptop) that runs XP and was able to get further into the menus than on my iPad. Will try using it with the 911 plugged into the bike tonight. I’ll see how far I get without Internet, it did update the 911 unit when I plugged it in at the house. The notebook is small enuff it could easily be taken on trips where I venture a long way from home.

Now I see the section for service reminders, mine must not have been set by the dealer.

I guess the other thing I don’t understand is where / when the 911 grabs your VIN number? All I’ve done so far is read / clear faults. Maybe it needs an Internet connection when using it on the bike to register a VIN? Mine is the enthusiast version so should only have ten VIN slots.
    LAFS likes this.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have more than 6600 miles on your bike and the service reminder never lit, leave it alone. There are some bikes that the factory backdated the service date and it will never go off. Mine is that way, and I have seen several more.Unless, of course, you want it to go on every 6K miles.
  18. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I keep a separate service log for each bike, and for oil changes I make a little label that goes on the bars, brake reservoir, somewhere I can see it while riding. It has the date and mileage, something like “ 6/19 18,000 “
    Really have no need for the bike to tell me it’s time to change oil. I’ll leave it alone, thanks.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  19. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Correct, for older USB only GS-911. I partitioned my MBP terabyte SSD shorty after I purchased it. Only put 200gb in the Winslow 7 partition. The GS-911 and BMW REP-ROM are the only things I use in that partition. It really wasn’t too difficult using Bootcamp, I just kept following the on-screen prompts provided by Bootcamp.

But it would be great if the GS-911 would work with OS X, and I could uninstall Bootcamp and Winslows.
  20. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    No way in hell I’d let my Mac Book Pro be used in a ‘shop’ setting. I’d get a Panasonic tuff book like mentioned above. And do install an SSD in place on the spinning hard drive. The machine will run 4 times as fast.