GS/A Front fender modification

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GlobalriderTrev, Jun 8, 2018.

1. GlobalriderTrev

GlobalriderTrev GlobalADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those of you that have taken your GS/A down a muddy road and cursed the idea after the 3rd time dropping your bike because the front fender filled with mud and became a ski. Here is what I did to fix this issue.
    Step 1 remove stock fender.
    Step 2 cut in half 48"x .75" x .125" aluminum flat bar.
    Step 3 Drill holes in the flat bar to match the fender bolts.
    Step 4 Mount the flat bar and bend it to get better clearance.
    Step 5 Cut the plastic MX fender that I ordered for this project.
    Step 6 Mark, drill and mount the MX fender.
    Step 7 Install on the bike.
    This cost right at $30.

Attached Files:

pops, BigMac75, Jojje62 and 8 others like this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    That’s how it should be. Great job.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  3. The Fabricator

The Fabricator I didn't know it wasn't possible so I did it.

Oddometer:
    Good job! I got stuck once on my r100/7 with a mud packed fender. Had to take the fender off completely. One caliper hose was too close to the wheel, so I took the caliper off [not BMW caliper] and strap it up out of the way to get back to pavement.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  4. GlobalriderTrev

Oddometer:
    Follow-up report.
    The front part of the fender fix fell off. If you can picture wiggling the opening tab off your favorite beverage. Then you can picture this happening to the front fender part after only 100 miles down the road. The wind wiggled the front fender enough to cause the aluminum bar to have metal fatigue and it broke off. I left the back part on to catch mud from hitting the engine. This worked fine. Today I found the problem with this however. While riding in the rain, the wheel spray comes up between the triple tree and the the gap between the instrument cluster and the gas tank.

Back to the drawing board. I need something to attach to the shock tubes to support an upper fend to stop the wheel spray on a rainy day and any dirt clods that might head for the beak.
    Boxa likes this.
  5. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What you need is to raise the fender higher. Look at any hard core Enduro bike and you'll see why their fender is so high. My KTM 500 EXC is like 8 inches away from the tire LOL. That said, it doesn't really act like much of a fender at that point, so maybe just above the clamp is high enough? Maybe a two piece fender?
  6. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    DSC_0004.JPG Perhaps a piece of flat going over the top as well to stop the bent bits from flexing?

Ive been looking for a solution as well after this.

Dave
  7. GlobalriderTrev

Oddometer:
    The front beak provides enough protection from gravel and mud. Just not the rain spray. Like Dave aka Boxa said, I should put a flat piece under to give support to the front portion. and maybe a piece of milk jug plastic for the gap between the two for spray. Thanks guys, you've got the gears spinning. I'll post new pictures if and when I think I've got it licked. :-)
    Boxa likes this.
  8. GlobalriderTrev

Oddometer:
    Necessity being the mother of invention, I have endeavored to produce another prototype fender to hopefully reduce the muddy fender head ache that the GS experiences.
    I decided to make a new fender with fiberglass using the OEM fender as the mold.
    Steps:
    #1. I used play dough to make a deeper channel over the middle part of the fender.
    #2. I used sheet rock mud to help smooth the channel made by the play dough channel.
    #3. Used Vaseline and extra hold hair spray for the mold release from the fiberglass. I put a coat of Vaseline first then 3 coats of hairspray.
    #4. I put the fiberglass on the mold. It took 4 different layers. Smoothing down the rough areas before each new layer of fiberglass.
    #5. Removed the new fiberglass fender, smoothed out the rough spots and painted it with a flat black spray paint.

I could have made the fiberglass surface smoother by applying bondo, but decided to forego this step for my prototype.

Cost list: $35 for the fiberglass kit from AutoZone; $3 for the Play dough; $5 for the Vaseline and hairspray; $4 for the spray paint = $ 47. I had the sheet rock mud in the basement.

Attached Files:

Boxa likes this.
  9. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fender raising kit from Wunderlich..
  10. jacoba331

jacoba331 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that only works with their custom $1500 fork tree..
  11. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    jacoba331 likes this.
  12. jacoba331

jacoba331 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bill-66 likes this.
  13. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    If you aren’t raising the fork brace there at the tire, all the fender mods are moot anyway. That’s still the clearance issue.
  14. wilddog

wilddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my take on the issue. I have a HP2 21" though. The rear part 'fender' is the bottom part of my number plate holder from my old 2000 Aprilia Pegasso. IMG-20170406-WA0005.jpeg 031.jpg