GS Adventure Ohlins available?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jaake, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Jaake

Jaake Le Baroudeur

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I wanted to change out the suspension on my GS Adventure.

Is Ohlins (or anyone) making a front and rear shock yet? Apparently, there is a difference between the stock GS shocks and the Adventure's -- the Adventure spring is "progressive" and taller.

If anyone has brand and model info on this topic, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
  2. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Front Adv shock = BM216 (type 46ER)
    Rear Adv shock = BM215 (type 46DRS)

From Ohlins - they are the US distributor and should be able to put you in touch with a dealer.
  3. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heh. You mean the stock spring gets progressively worse as you ride it, right?

I know that other Ohlins shocks (eg, the one on my Ducati) can be revalved for progressive damping. I'd assume that the GS ADV shock can be modified as well.

I'm thinking about getting one from http://www.ohlins.nl
  4. Jaake

Jaake Le Baroudeur

Oddometer:
    Yes, Turk, you got it -- "progressively worse"! I've got 8,000 miles on the bike and the adjustability just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

The BMW specs say that the GS Adventure stock shock is a White Power (WP) progressive coiled spring and shock. This is different from the standard GS shock.

Per Rallybug's post, it appears that Ohlins has different part numbers for the Adventure shocks vs the standard GS shocks, so I'm assuming they've compensated for the differences.

From the Ohlin's website the standard GS info states the following model info:

Front R1150GS shock =BM 425 (type 46ER)
    Rear R1150GS shock =BM 940 (type 46DRS)

Before I go out and drop a big chunk of change on these, I'm hoping one of our members can share their experience with the below noted Ohlin's for the Adventure.

Front Adv shock = BM216 (type 46ER)
    Rear Adv shock = BM215 (type 46DRS)
  5. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I read somewhere that the whole "WP" thing was a misunderstanding. They're not White Power shocks. Apparently, the German name for the progressive damping feature abbreviates to WP and people assumed incorrectly that it was referring to the manufacturer.