GS Fuel Cap Reversal Mod

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by DaveDragon, Feb 8, 2008.

1. DaveDragon

DaveDragon Bwana

Oddometer:
    GS Fuel Cap Reversal Mod

[​IMG]
    I just completed a very simple modification to the 2006 R1200GS Adventure that I found over on JDsRoad blog.

The R1200GS Gas Filler Cap is configured from the factory to open on a hinge located on the Rear Edge of the filler Neck.

[​IMG]
    This makes fueling the beast a bit tricky as you have to pass the Nozzle between the Handlebars and the Gas Cap to get it in the neck.

Makes is difficult to watch your progress to prevent spillage.

[​IMG]
    This Mod turns the Gas Cap 180 degrees so it opens toward the handlebars, enabling you to have about 240 degrees of open space around the filler neck for an easier and safer fueling experience.

[​IMG]
    Remove the six hex head screws that mount the Filler Cap and Base.
    Lift out the Cap.

[​IMG]
    Remove the rubber shock blocks.

[​IMG]
    Notice the removal of plastic material at the 12:00 Position of the opening. This matches the Opening at the 6:00 position where the hinge is located.

Also the two notches at the 10:00 and 2:00 positions. They match the notches at the 8:00 and 4:00 positions where the two side rubber shock blocks mount.

[​IMG]
    Now install the Rubber Shock Blocks in the New Positions and the 6:00 position where the hinge had been.

[​IMG]
    Install the Filler Cap Unit and secure in place with the six hex head screws.

[​IMG]
    Now the cap opens as desired.[​IMG]

Total time to complete according to the time stamps on the photos was 22 minutes. I took the last photo after uploading the others where upon I realized I needed the last shot.

LATER <!-- Start of Random Post code --><script type="text/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ function showLucky(root){ var feed = root.feed; var entries = feed.entry || []; var entry = feed.entry[0]; window.location = entry.link[0].href; } function fetchLuck(luck){ script = document.createElement('script'); script.src = '/feeds/posts/summary?start-index='+luck+'&max-results=1&alt=json-in-script&callback=showLucky'; script.type = 'text/javascript'; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); } function readLucky(root){ var feed = root.feed; var total = parseInt(feed.openSearch$totalResults.$t,10); var luckyNumber = Math.floor(Math.random()*total); luckyNumber++; fetchLuck(luckyNumber); } function feelingLucky(){ var script = document.createElement('script'); script.type = 'text/javascript'; script.src = '/feeds/posts/summary?max-results=0&alt=json-in-script&callback=readLucky'; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); } //]]> </script><!-- End of Random Post code --><script type="text/javascript"> function OnLoad() { }; </script>

<!-- Start of Random Post code --><script type="text/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ function showLucky(root){ var feed = root.feed; var entries = feed.entry || []; var entry = feed.entry[0]; window.location = entry.link[0].href; } function fetchLuck(luck){ script = document.createElement('script'); script.src = '/feeds/posts/summary?start-index='+luck+'&max-results=1&alt=json-in-script&callback=showLucky'; script.type = 'text/javascript'; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); } function readLucky(root){ var feed = root.feed; var total = parseInt(feed.openSearch$totalResults.$t,10); var luckyNumber = Math.floor(Math.random()*total); luckyNumber++; fetchLuck(luckyNumber); } function feelingLucky(){ var script = document.createElement('script'); script.type = 'text/javascript'; script.src = '/feeds/posts/summary?max-results=0&alt=json-in-script&callback=readLucky'; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); } //]]> </script><!-- End of Random Post code --><script type="text/javascript"> function OnLoad() { }; </script>
  2. WindRiver

WindRiver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I've done the same mod to mine --- VERY much easier to fuel. just seems like this mod is the way it should have been from the factory.
  3. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool Mod, and easy and perhaps a stupid question but why are all bikes the 'wrong way' in the first place? Surely there must be a good reason?

David
  4. klebel

klebel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did they change that between '06 and '07? My '07 has always opened up toward the handle bars.:ear
  5. Throttlerocker!

Throttlerocker! Giddy up go

Oddometer:
    My 07 doesn't open that way. But I left it as is. I don't want to read "lift" upside down.
  6. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>[​IMG]

Get a blow dryer on that sticker. It'll peel right off. The fuel filler cap sticker too.

<BR>
  7. DaveDragon

DaveDragon Bwana

Oddometer:
    I think I shall do exactly that; thanks for reminding me, it's always under the tank bag out of site out of mind and I've stopped noticing it I guess.
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Only thing I can think of is that it puts the key in a slightly awkward spot if you're going to remove it before closing the cap.
  9. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here - works better with a tank bag over to the side, too. :clap

10. Trinity

Trinity Byron in Texas

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the awesome tip...I had no clue it was so simple. I had mine finished in about 5 minutes!! :clap :clap
  11. GSWayne

GSWayne Old Guy nOOb Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the orientation may be to prevent emasculation during a accident if the gas cap popped open, though I can't really imagine this is much of a threat on a modern BMW. From what I have heard the caps break off pretty easy, even if it did decide to open up during a crash. Perhaps it was a carry over from sturdier caps that did not require a key to open them, and could have actually been some kind of a minor safety hazard.
  12. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    I recall reading the same thing some time ago. Supposedly on impact the lid could pop open and turn the rider into a candidate for girls PE as he flies over the tank. Terrible thought.
  13. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blimey! That would be painful!
  14. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Why the hell would the great minds at BMW put it that way in the first place? :scratch To much hefeweizen the day they designed that one.

My 1150 has it in the perfectly sensible orientation of flipping away from you.
  15. GSWayne

GSWayne Old Guy nOOb Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, DaveDragon, I just did mine. I am embarrassed that I never thought of doing it myself because I had done that on my F650GS, in order to allow the gas cap to open with Jesse bags installed.
  16. gsmoto31

gsmoto31 Miami Beach and Maggie Valley

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking of doing this gas cap mod to my 07 GSA and the post reminded me. However, after taking the cap asembly off the bike and removing the 12:00 rubber bumper, I discovered that the 6:00 "cut-out" to accomodate the hinge is not present at 12:00. So, reversing everything as shown in the tutorial will not allow the cap assembly to fit nicely back in place. I could probably make a cut-out at 12:00, but nobody else mentioned this fix so I'm wondering if it's specific to the 07 GSA. Anyone else encounter this issue?
  17. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    You hafta do the cutting. Its not factory. Hedge and I did my RT when I was stayin at his house. Took all of about 10min. Dremel and a bit of nerve and presto! 'Backwards' filler.

HTH

M
  18. gsmoto31

gsmoto31 Miami Beach and Maggie Valley

Oddometer:
    I thought that was the case, but wanted to check in case I was missing something. Thanks.
  19. 1fastjunebug

1fastjunebug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the mod this weekend and noticed the same thing on my 07 GS.

I put a little silicone spray on the rubber and the adjoining metal surfaces, carefully aligned the metal plate to insure that the bolts would go in, put the filler cap on, put the bolts in and while slowly tightening, pushed the rubber outwards with a flat round punch in the cut out areas and with a flat chisel in the place where there should be a cut out. I should have did the dremel trick of making another cut out but didn't. Works like a charm though and much, much easier to fill.
  20. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I did this mod the first day I had my 07 and not long after the day I bought my 05. It makes a big difference if you like to stay on the bike when you fill up. :nod