GS GIANTS: Rock Lobster, Colebrook Ct August 5-8 2021

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Ritalin Boy, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    What: Rock Lobster
    Who: The GS Giants
    When: August 6-8, 2021
    Where: Camp Bobriwka, Colebrook, Ct.

Come join the GS Giants as we host our annual GO BIG Rally at Camp Bobriwka in Colebrook, Ct.

The site features over 300 acres of private property with plenty of trails of varying difficulty. Trails are marked hero 1-4 to give you a chance to see how the ride boss rates trails before choosing which one of the many GPX tracks.

There is plenty of flat shaded grass for tent camping and plenty of (somewhat) level fields for trailers and truck campers.

Excellent meals starting with Dinner Thursday, Friday and Saturday along with breakfast Friday, Saturday and a grab n go offering Sunday morning. Food will be top shelf with a full New England Lobster bake (with a filet mignon option) Saturday night. Live music Saturday.

Some indoor accommodations will be available.

Registration is open and is limited to 300.

For more information visit the GS GIANTS.
    greasyfatman, TroyJ650 and Lenny P. like this.
  2. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Shedding&Shredding Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Drif10 and TroyJ650 like this.
  3. Ritalin Boy

Oddometer:
    Good morning,

So what exactly are the GS Giants and what is the GO BIG (aka Rock Lobster) rally.

Going on 10 years the GS Giants started as a meeting place for like minded individuals who enjoy doing wild and crazy things with the BMW GS. The first events were gypsy rallies that ended at the BMW MOA National Rally where the Giants would build a big bike trials track.

Along the way the Giants realized that there is a great big world of dual sport or adventure riders who ride all sorts of different cool motorcycles so the GO BIG rally was started. The first one was in West Virginia and featured great riding, great food and some tubing on the river out back. The second was in Dolores, Colorado and was also a great time. In Colorado the water feature was used as part of the trials track, competitors had to ride their motorcycle onto a raft, pull themselves out to the island, ride a circle on the island and pull themselves back. We enjoying playing with folks that like to play in the woods and we don't care what you ride. If you ask me given how GS owners are fawning over the Tenere 700...... :D

Last year I was hoping to top them both with incredible food, some fantastic riding and the best rally site I ever found; we all know why we had to postpone and postpone we did.

Come August we'll be getting together at Camp Bobriwka in Coleboook, CT on August 5-9. Covering a little more than 300 acres this private paradise has a full dining hall, bath house and some indoor accommodations. there is some wonderful flat grass with shade for camping, plenty of room for your camper/ truck and trailer (no hookups) and some really nice dispersed camping spots near the water. There are even some AirBnb cabins which can sleep a crowed but would also make a wonderful weekend for a couple.

Our master track builder (he of the raft idea) is coming in from the west coast. We'll be serving top notch food for six meals and lunch will be available on site. There will be trails on site arrowed and rated using the same system we use for the provided .GPX files. There will be rides the will challenge the very best and rides for folks going off on their very first.

We have a maximum number by contract with the campground and when we hit it registration closes.

For more and to register visit the GS Giants.
  4. corkupine

corkupine n00b

Oddometer:
    How appropriate is this for newbies? I'm on my learners permit now, grabbed a KLR 650 about a month ago, taking MSF in early June. Colebrook is in my backyard so this is very tempting.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  5. corkupine

corkupine n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh and used to ride a DS100 when I was a kid, so not 100% green
  6. Ritalin Boy

Oddometer:
    It's perfect for you. Trails on site for practice, GPX files, a trials track and a fantastic time too.
    corkupine likes this.
  7. corkupine

corkupine n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Maybe I'll see ya...I'm fully vaccinated and ready to get out again.
    Ritalin Boy likes this.
  8. Xjhammer

Xjhammer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun Event. I'm in.

It will be a nice little break from the Monster trip I have planned.

BUT..... the real question.... will there be Lobster?
  9. Ritalin Boy

Oddometer:
    Of course there will be Lobster. Here's a copy of a post on the GS Giants forum.

One of my big motivating factors behind hosting the GO BIG rally is the chance to highlight the best of New England to my Giant friends from all over the country. One of the things I enjoy about going to rallies is sampling the local cuisine; it was with this in mind that I decided to build the event around a real New England style Lobster dinner on Saturday.

We're going to take this a step further and build the entire menu around well prepared traditional New England food.

On Thursday we're going to enjoy a virtual visit to Federal Hill. Located in Providence, Rhode Island, "The Hill" is home to a thriving Italian - American community and many great restaurants. It's where Pasta sauce is known as gravy. Dinner will be Pasta, Meatballs, Sausage, Gravy, Salad, Rolls and a Sheet Cake. If you wanna donate the cake you can decide what it says on the top. upload_2021-5-4_21-20-17.gif

Friday morning it's Pancakes or French Toast with Bacon and Sausage which is a fabulous base layer for a generous application of Real Vermont Maple Syrup. Also assorted Muffins, Fresh Fruit and Yogurt.

Lunch is on your own, however there will be food to purchase on site.

Friday Dinner we're off to Plymouth, Massachusetts, where the Pilgrims landed in 1620. Story goes they hit a rock and that's pretty much what we've been finding in New England ever since. You don't want any lose spokes or tired suspension bits at this party. And remember, Heroes wear body armor. Dinner is Roasted Turkey Breast with Gravy, Roast Beef with Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce, Corn on the Cob, Salad, Rolls, Italian Cookies and Pies.

Saturday Breakfast is Egg Casserole with Meat and Cheese, A Veggie Casserole, rolls Bagels and Tortillas for those that want to build a burrito.

Saturday lunch will be on your own, again the caterer will be on site offering food.

Saturday Night we're headed Down East to the coast of Maine for a New England Clambake. The real deal would be done on a beach. We'd dig a hole in the sand and get a good pile of driftwood and burn to a big hot pile of coals. Dump in a bunch of seaweed and the rest. This is a virtual visit so for us it's a choice; Steamed Maine Lobster paired with New England Clam Chowder and Steamed Clams or Filet Mignon . There will also be Grilled Chicken Breast, Red Smashed Potatoes, Salad, Baked Beans, Rolls and Watermelon for Dessert.

Sunday morning it's Grab N Go.
    Breakfast Sandwiches, Pastries, Energy Bars, Fruit and Yogurt.

Rock Lobster.
    Racer111v and Xjhammer like this.
  10. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the time off. Someone at rib fest made this sound awesome.

will there be mini bike shenanigans?
    dirty_sanchez likes this.
  11. Ritalin Boy

Oddometer:
    Of course! Our "mini bike shenanigans" has generated an entire new category on the AMA insurance form but they're a tad more elegant (or not) about it. They call it "pit bike racing."

Also the same band that wowed us at Ribfest is making the trek to Colebrook Ct for Rock Lobster. In an ironic twist of fate it turns out they're from Rhode Island (so am I!) which means we know some of the same people. No sir! As they'd say in Cranston. lol.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man Thats great news. I will grab two spots today.
  13. Xjhammer

Xjhammer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just had a notice yesterday that this event has been canceled.

FYI Inmates.
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya the depression is settling in. Sounded like a hell of an event. Hope it gets off the ground next year.
  15. Ritalin Boy

Oddometer:
    Ayup. Most disappointing. Planning a rolling rally down the BDR's to fill the void.
  16. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the event being canned. I was up there for the BBA for the first time this year and it seemed like an awesome place to hold a Rally and met a few of the folks working on the plans for Rock Lobster. Thought I might sneak in a late registration if work schedule allowed.

Hope all is well with all the organizers. Maybe see y'all for the next one.
    Ritalin Boy likes this.