GS Rallye 2020 Martinborough

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by eri, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    The two 'Rallyes' are aimed at very different demographics.

While here are some very capable GS Riders out there, the last two GS Rallyes have been gravel road based, both for ease of set up, & because of the range of rider ability/ set up that attends.

A dedicated endure type ride would miss the market Veg was aiming at, & maybe disenfranchised some of the applicants.

There is also the matter of the very different spend.

I put in my entry for a social ride on roads I know very well. It looks like the event would have achieved my expectations - if I'd made it.

I think BMW supported the event to a small extent. I dont know that it extended that to other brand supporters.
    Hunia and eri like this.
  2. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good to know that the venerable tkc80 finally has met its match

what kind of life do you expect to get on the rear?
  3. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    I managed NR Road in flood on my Tiger with E07's front and rear. Not interested in doing it again on it though....hate riding with wet feet! Have a wild on the front now and love it. My go to front from now on.

As far as the Beamer v KTM, Suzuki, Honda and any other brand of bike at the Rally, it does sound a tad lame for the organiser to jump on a cheap laugh at the expense of future revenue ... you've got to be prepared to take it on the chin if ya dish it out though....funny a lot of folks can't and don't.

At the end of the day we're all in it for the same reasons I expect. The world would be such a nicer place without people in it.
    Oscar likes this.
  4. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:

The jury is still out, but the Bridgestones don't seem to turn to smoke as fast as the Contis.
    Looking like 4-5000 on the rear (mounted to a 790r owned by a throttle happy idiot).
    Watercat and eri like this.
  5. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oscar, ditch the jap rubber and go frenchie. The frenchie rubbers will keep you safe and secure in the knowledge that your prime assets are well protected.
    790 front has done 10,000kms and it’s still good for a bit more. Rear about 2500kms but I ride with TC fully off. I just can’t help myself to have it sideways on every corner.
  6. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And there in lies the problem. I take from your comment you where riding your 790

I put in my entry for a social ride on roads I know very well. It looks like the event would have achieved my expectations (Box-bits )

25% of entries are there for a competitive adv-trail ride
    I've seen many a novice rider trying to keep up with the racers only to bit the dust from lack of experience and or tires.

As for the bean counters and lawyers they are the only ones who can afford to drop 40K on a new bike and another 10K on all the riding gear.
    But at least it puts second hand bikes on the market for the rest of us to buy

WR
    glitch_oz likes this.
  7. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're right I was on my 790, but I knew what to expect - I treated this event as social get together with some riding attached.
    In fact, since nearly killing myself at the 2016 KTM Rally I have been gun shy of full on rides.

There was a forest gravel road where I caught up with three n00bs and a ute.
    I was very careful to avoid a passing maneuver that involve throwing rocks at these people.
    However as I was completing a careful pass, two Chris Birch wannabes passed me and showered me with crap:umph
    No names to protect the guilty and thoughtless, but one was on a 790 and his mate was on a late model GS (they are both current enduro riders).
    glitch_oz likes this.
  8. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call them out Oscar, that sort of dickhead behaviour needs to stop.
  9. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on friday the rallye started and we went off just behind the first group, hunia soon disappeared and i eventually found my own rhythm only seeing him again as i went out to castlepoint and he returned from it

the number of bikes at the tinui pub had grown greatly over the 20? minutes since i'd last passed it so stopped for lunch......hunia was finishing his lunch by then and after seeing how slow the girl on the coffee machine was and length of queue i settled for a bathroom break and some water + scrogin from my tankbag

soon off again and trying to get back into rhythm as i crossed a small bridge and realised i'd spendt too much attention on the bridge and not enough on other side which had been recently graded into a 20cm? heap on my line,
    the front went a bit washy in the thick gravel but kept rotating so i stayed upright, unfortunately the steep camber was taking me into the drain, so put on a bit more power and turned the bars a tiny bit to where i needed to be and WHOOOSH, the front washed-out and we went down, digging in the right side engine bar with momentum swing the back to front

wasn't going very fast by then so only lightly banged my right shin and squashed a foot tumbling down the road, jumped back up and on seeing the 'beached-as' whale in the middle of the road my artistic side piped up saying, "that'd be a cool photo"
    then the mechanical sympathy side chimed it with, "think of all those fluids trying to go where they shouldn't!"
    stalled a bit there until the body cast the deciding vote with "you know picking that thing up is going to be easier while your adrenaline is still pumping!"

so after a bit of a grunt and heave, up she came................the big givi bars seemed to have done a good job of taking the hit and hunia's cast-off alloy cam cover protectors seemed to have stopped the thick gravel from getting to the magnesium? cam cover so climbed back on, started up, pointed the bike in the right direction and carried on

[​IMG]

after a quick fiddle with the buttons to make sure; the battery was charging, the eng. temp wasn't climbing and tyre pressures were holding, pondered the lesson of my first drop, since the front of a k100rs front washed out on some throw-out ramen on a hairpin turn 10? years in japan
    1 - ALWAYS look ahead to the road surface (a hundred bikes with similar tyres managed to avoid such embarrassment
    2 - a proper knobbly probably would have bitten where the 'touring adventure tyre' didn't
    3 - high boots protect ankles
    4 - solid engine bars are worth their weight when asked to do their job
    5 - cam cover protectors much cheaper than new cam covers on a boxer
    6 - black is a better than chrome or 'natural alloy' when it comes to covering up the crime
    7 - dropping a water-boxer on the right side is better than the left as there's no final drive and swing-arm to get ripped up

back at the rugby grounds hunia, who, racer style, always seemed to be 'on-the-throttle' or 'on-the brakes', was the first back......delighted in pointing out that shoulder-to-ankle-dust only affected me on 1 side.............which was slightly embarrassing, but turned out to be a good thing as veg took pity and awarded me the mitas tyre prize!

photo taken a few days, a thousand km and a ton of water later

DSC_9493[1].jpg

all safely painted back-to-black now
    Phreaky Phil, MrKiwi, EVLED and 2 others like this.
  10. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Typical...I do a drop test so you have to one-up me and do yours on the road without 5 "advisers" standing round watching.

Glad you're ok. Ive got a sore knee just reading about you and @Box'a'bits
  11. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    all in good fun

but scores of dust-mites were likely slaughtered during the test!

and steve really had to pay-the-bill for his molesworth chair-cartwheel

and neppi too with his hit on a van:eek:(
  12. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    with over a hundred at the GS rallye this year the caterers stayed in and put on a great roast dinner to end the event
    unlike last year where the caterers pulled out due to low numbers and veg had to stay up all night cooking so we could eat
    the rain had stayed away for the rallye but was building for a wet ride home sunday and we lucky to be offered a local riders guest room and hospitality for the night
    boschy.JPG
    fully wrapped in in our gear, and full of bacon, eggs + toast, we set off just before 9am the next morning in rain, with southerly blasts, and up highway 52, getting to the pongaroa pub for a coffee just before 11am.
    the next 2 hour hop was to the porangahau pub, where we briefly met the same trio from whangarei? we'd bumped into after raglan on the way down, Hayden on the t7 and his mates on 690s
    the rain was largely just drizzle now so we got in a bit of damp gravel going out to blackhead, then it was waipukurau, hastings, napier, wairoa by 2pm
    having left the rain pretty much behind us it was wet-weathers off and the plan got changed from riding up 38 to lake waikaremoana to finding a gravel route directly north to ohope/whakatane
    we didn't realise how long it would it take but i'm glad we did as it was the highlight of the trip
    first we took 36 to te reinga/tiniroto........hunia's phone had no signal and wouldn't show the small roads we'd need but fortunately my big map book and small garmin pointed the way
    the first western loop was tahunga to rere.....and it was like riding through the hobbit's 'shire', a small grassy single-lane gravel road alongside a bubbling brook, by 5.30pm the sun was out and low bringing out beautiful greens
    8 5 15pm.jpg

8 5 17pm3.JPG

the next western loop took us from rere to rakauroa and as we climbed up to 800mt to get over the range the views opened up and the temps fell
    it was almost 7pm and getting dim by the time we came down to highway 2 but hunia convinced me the motu road over the next range was even better so up we went, in 'enduro pro' for hunia, so he could lock the rear wheel and power slide on exits, and me just in 'enduro' mode so i could semi-lock the back on entries and semi-power slide on exits
    we were weaving our way through the rock falls and occasional fallen trees + branches with the suspension fully working......the motu road is becoming a popular mountain bike route with vans taking them to the top so they can ride down at speed
    8 7 27pm.jpg
    8 7 28pm.jpg
    8 7 29pm.JPG
    headlights on for the descent and after the ford crossing, pic posted earlier, it was fully dark by the time we went through toatoa dodging wandering horses and stock
    at 9pm we were just able to grab dinner from the opotiki new world before they closed and then it was off to port ohope and beers and bed at 10pm after 700km in 13 hours...............haven't been a big fan phone cameras but huniai + his samsung provided some beautiful shots for this thread

Attached Files:

dazzadm, clintnz, EVLED and 6 others like this.
  13. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Big day. I would have needed a few naps in that lot so would have missed out on carpark dinner.
  14. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the next day hunia had to shoot straight back to auckland for work
    i had a little more time so went to find the dirt pongakawa valley road between te teko and maketu
    the only tricky bit was this hill that was steeper than it seems in the pic, hence the carved out tracks in the soft clay
    t.JPG
    then after a pie at patrick's in bethlehem, (thanks oldbeer for the pointer) made the mistake of trying to get back to auckland on the endless stream of traffic through the 20km? of road works on highway 2 to waihi
    and after a final drenching at the bombays, the southern motorway to home
    oldbeer and Whale Rider like this.
  15. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could’ve come and sign my cast...
  16. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a few of hunia's other pics from day 1
    20201105_083454.jpg
    20201105_084555.jpg
    20201105_084805.jpg

Attached Files:

Manakau.KTM, EVLED, Oaters and 2 others like this.
  17. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a couple of 'educational' pics hunia took at the rallye
    lessons learned

1 - if a TKC80 front has to run for a long time with low or zero pressure it can develop large blisters between the delaminated case and knobs months later

2 - while a GS will balance on the centre-stand with the front wheel off...... a GSA won't

3 - the side-stand of another bike is an adequate bead-breaker even for a 120/80-19

4 - lying the bike on its side is 1 way to slide the front wheel back in

5 - the wethead front axle spacer is quite small and easy to lose/forget, but the bike can be put back together and 'limped' until a replacement can be fitted

20201106_191636.jpg
    20201106_193214.jpg
    dazzadm and MrKiwi like this.
  18. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    number 3 above, hadn't thought of that, good tip.
  19. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sort of similar

the sunburnt country safari

Night Falcon and Hunia like this.
  20. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok it shouldn't really be in this thread

but for those thinking of an oz adv trip

this is a much better video