GS / ST Trippin', Trials - and an Evolution !

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 28, 2014.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Figured that Stelvio would grab your attention. You may have noticed it has a Corbin seat. It appeared to be perfectly shaped. He said he liked it, but wished it was more aesthetically pleasing.
    Utrider1 likes this.
  2. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL!!! I have a Corbin on my California 1400, but the Stelvio is still rocking the stocker. It's surprisingly comfy still after 21k miles.

On another note........I may be headed your way the first part of October. The MX of Nations is at Red Bud this year, and I'm working on getting my wife talked into going back home for her birthday......... I will let you know.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

We will have to get together. Are you riding here or bringing a bike ?
    Utrider1 likes this.
  4. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, it will be a quick hitter. I'm a tax guy, and my extensions are due on Oct. 15th, so all the ultimate procrastinators will still want their stuff done.

I may have access to a 650 Versys while I'm there but, I don't want to have to count on it.

I'm sure I will be pushing the bounds of relationship harmony just going to the "Biggest Moto Cross race of the year!" That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Don't mean to hijack your awesome thread, so you say you rode the MABDR.......tell us about it. :rofl
    GAS GUY likes this.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    MABDR -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2wingdoc05, GlennJ, popscycle and 6 others like this.
  6. turbojim

turbojim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff, I went through Hell and Hamburg last Friday on my way up north, I stopped by to see my turbo guru pal Dominic. He lives outside of Hamburg. Yeah I know I went south before I went north, had to get another temporary plate as my title hasn't come in yet and the shop is in Belleville. 1933 miles in six days, riding some of the best roads Michigan has to offer! Lake of the Clouds, Sun rise, Copper Harbor, Brockway mountain. IMG_20180813_1304061581.jpg IMG_20180814_070158989_HDR1.jpg
    2wingdoc05, GlennJ, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  7. turbojim

Oddometer:
    Cool reflection of the sunset off of Lake Superior. There is a ship out there if you look close enough. And one of the many waterfalls. Gorge & Potawatomi falls, Black river. IMG_20180813_201311031_HDR1.jpg IMG_20180813_0749210091.jpg
    2wingdoc05, GlennJ, luftkoph and 3 others like this.
  8. turbojim

Oddometer:
    Enough hijacking for now lol. It was an awesome trip on an awesome little bike. I average 57 mpg on my MINI ST, the NT 700.
    Vacation with my wife this next week. I'll keep an eye out for when you go next time. I'll try to tag along!
    GlennJ and GAS GUY like this.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    MABDR -

After descending from a good hour session of morning switchbacks (crossing into Virginia from West Virginia) in section 3, Aaron sat down for a smoke break and told me about the bears he had been seeing, as he was riding out front. It's nice when there are so few (basically none) cars that you can sit cross-legged in the middle of the mountain road while smoking and chatting about the ride without ever being disturbed. He saw a mother bear with two cubs and a short while later a solo bear. Later in the day I would see a bear, and the following day another.

This section was just south of Brandywine, West Virginia - which is where we stayed the night before. We walked into Fox's Pizza and purchased a motel room, which was situated out back, for $50.00. It was nothing fancy, but seemed very clean and fair priced and the pizza was excellent. The crispy crust made it. I'd stay there again.

[​IMG]

- This area of section 3 also had a lot of somewhat deep gravel two-tracks. Just loose and deep enough to get your attention on a big bike.

[​IMG]

2wingdoc05, GlennJ and Bigbob1 like this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    MABDR -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which tires did you run for the MABDR. I just got done with my pirelli str's and was non too impressed in anything slippery or deep gravel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Shinko 804/805 Adventure Trail tires.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    American Moto Tire and Rocky Mountain ATV seem to have the best prices. About $170.00 a set. Hard to beat those Shinko's (804 Front & 805 Rear) for that money.
    2wingdoc05 likes this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    How many miles did they return ? Did you measure the tread depth before and after ?
  15. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had about 1mm left before wear bars. 6000 miles. My daily commute is all city so slow going. The front saw a lot more wear. I try to keep it to 70 to 75 mph on any highway to destinations.

Trying the anakee wilds now but I paid twice that. Shinko is my next choice since we have similar areas to ride.

16. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Luck has me, the weekend I went to change tires my rear had a 3 inch nail in it. The front saw a lot of wear from the more twisty roads in NW illinois and SW Wisconsin.

17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

The guy (Aaron) I met on the MABDR and shared the trail with for a couple of days was sporting "Wilds" on his Wethead GS. They looked extremely impressive (except for the price) and he was really happy with them. They seemed to be wearing satisfactorily also.

18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    MABDR -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2wingdoc05, GlennJ, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    MABDR -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Shinko 804/805 Adventure Trail Tires -

I'm running the Shinko 804/805 Adventure Trail tires. They are not perfect and mud is probably their weakness, but overall I'm very happy with them, especially considering the price. Mud is something I try to avoid, and besides - what tire is going to make a 600 pound adventure bike good in the mud ?

The Shinko's seem to work well on all surface conditions (except maybe mud) and when they were fresh they worked excellent in the deeper sand, which I often encounter in Northern Michigan; the rear has almost paddle-like characteristics which may be a contributing factor. They are fine on the pavement, allowing you to comfortably travel long distances.

Can't seem to find my initial data after mounting them, but I'm pretty sure the tread depth when new was 14/32nd's on the 805 rear and 10/32nd's on the 804 front.

At 1,050 miles - I was a bit alarmed as the rear had been reduced to 10/32nd's and the front to 8/32nd's.

But then the wear-rate slowed down drastically.

At 1,719 miles - the rear had only wore to 9/32nd's and the front to 7/32nd's.

After returning home from the MABDR and now at 3,905 miles - the rear is at 7/32nd's and the front at 6-7/32nd's.

So, still quite a bit of tire left (basically half). They have already exceeded my expectations. Of course, off-road performance diminishes with less knob, but they are still miles ahead of a street oriented tire. I'm not real abusive on tires obviously, but I don't baby them either, occasionally spinning them up. Most of the time I'm a smooth and flowing rider who prefers adventure-touring mode.

Air pressure specification on the Shinko 804/805's is 33 PSI. Sometimes while traversing alot of pavement to get somewhere I'll set the rear to 38-40 and the front to 35-36. In sand or rough trail I have gone as low as 25 front and rear. Could even go lower; especially slower speeds and in sand. The whole time on the MABDR and the ride back to Detroit from Damascus, I just left them at 33 PSI front and rear. They ride nice and plush also. I've heard that some of the harder compound tires such as Mitas ride harsher. Never tried them but that makes perfect sense.

At this point, I'm not planning on switching to anything else. Will most likely order another set this winter. They do what I need of them.

[​IMG]