GS / ST Trippin', Trials - and an Evolution !

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 28, 2014.

1. GlennJ

GlennJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "...a coffee shop. Too early for another cup though."

WTH?? Now that's funny!
    :rofl
    MileEater4ever, turbojim and GAS GUY like this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Obsessive people must constantly seek moderation and balance. :D
    turbojim and GlennJ like this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    To be exact though, it was too late for ANOTHER early cup. That could possibly spoil my afternoon cup. Coffee is complicated. As are all drugs. :hmmmmm
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Maysville, Kentucky -

After arriving at the Ohio River (which also happens to be the Ohio/Kentucky border) I'd follow 68/52 east for a short distance as it hugs the river. Passed through Ripley, Ohio and stopped for some lunch. The rain was catching up to me. It was starting to lightly drizzle. Figuring it may not amount to much more than the current state of drizzle, I elected to not dig out the 5-snap face shield for my open-face helmet and push on while enjoying the refreshingly cool moisture against my wind-burned face.

That is one thing about riding with an open-faced helmet, the wind can suck a lot of hydration from your body, versus being confined within a full-face helmet. It is often worth the trade-off (for me) when leisurely touring. If I'm doing serious long distance road work, then more coverage is definitely an asset.

It was time to cross over the river and into Kentucky. There are two bridges within close proximity of each other - connecting the Aberdeen, Ohio area with the Maysville, Kentucky area. On the way over, I'd take the newer William H. Harsha Bridge that was built in 2001. In a few days when I return, I'll ride across the Simon Kenton Memorial Bridge, which was built in 1931.

After entering Kentucky, and following a small road along the river to the east, I rolled into the Historic Maysville, Kentucky. Like I entered another country. My kind of mind-stimulating town. History and character and class. Everywhere you looked, something different and interesting would catch your eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By this time, the skies had opened up and let loose with some heavy rains. The sky was hard to judge all day, since it was just gloomy and hazy. Refuge was sought under a beautiful and sprawling tree - right at the sidewalks edge. It's canopy was so thick that it almost completely blocked the rainfall, as I fumbled through my Wolfman Expedition duffel for the face-shield. I'd need it now.

[​IMG]
    Utrider1, GlennJ, drbuzzard and 4 others like this.
  5. DeansZG

DeansZG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeff, did you happen to take the ferry crossing the mighty Ohio river? Excellent way to re-live travel from a distant time period....
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Wasn't aware of an available ferry in that area. Where do you access the ferry ?
  7. turbojim

turbojim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    drbuzzard likes this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  9. DeansZG

DeansZG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My apologies Jeff, it's been a couple of years since the motley bunch I ride with has taken it, but I meant the Augusta ferry....doh....
    I noticed you rode thru Ripley & thought sure as sh*t it was the Maysville ferry...although it is roughly the same mileage from Ripley albeit in the opposite direction :rofl
    GAS GUY likes this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Actually, I thank you for turning me on to another possibility to explore. Wasn't aware of that particular ferry, or Augusta. Now I am. Was just thinking that I need to check out more areas of the Ohio River Valley. Too often I am drawn back to the Marietta area. So, this venture through Aberdeen, Ohio and Maysville, Kentucky was refreshing. Something different. One thing that sometimes turns me off along the Ohio River (in some of the areas I've been in) is when you travel through the heavy manufacturing areas. But, the quaint and historic towns that are also spread out along it, makes it worth it.

B10Dave likes this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    - A couple more murals from the floodwall in Maysville, Kentucky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    drbuzzard, B10Dave, Utrider1 and 3 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeff; thought I might see you yesterday in Bowling Green Oh. at the Motorcycle Cannonball stop. Not too far from Garden City. It was great to see all the old bikes actually being used...Dave

Moto Cannonball 003.jpg
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    While I did notice Doug's thread on this years Cannonball Run, I didn't realize they would be in Bowling Green. That looked really interesting. Had I known, I would have probably shot down there.
  14. DeansZG

DeansZG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shame on me for not mentioning it to you either, Jeff... Yes, it was a great showing of all those bikes-n-riders !!

Tablet -2- home pitures 064.jpg
    drbuzzard and GAS GUY like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  16. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a Detroit totem pole?
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Must be. Stumbled across that this afternoon while reconning the Eastern Market District of Detroit, since this is officially "Murals in the Market" week. A fitting Detroit totem pole too; structured from a re-purposed automobile body to represent the Motor City. My youngest Daughter was happy to model for the photograph, adding an element of tender humanity to contrast against the potentially chaotic art and environment. Yin and Yang.

20180915_155200.jpg
    2wingdoc05, GlennJ, drbuzzard and 3 others like this.
  18. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer

Oddometer:
    just got home from riding those roads and this one too. spent a little time on the other side of the river to see t 20180915_110053.jpg 20180916_095614.jpg he town with my name, lost my favorite pic so I'll have to go back
    GAS GUY, 2wingdoc05, GlennJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's your town!
    drbuzzard likes this.
  20. STinner

STinner any direction will do

Oddometer:
    So drbuzzard, what do you think of 536?