GS / ST Trippin', Trials - and an Evolution !

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 28, 2014.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    A Hike Up To Natural Bridge in Slade, Kentucky -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Natural Bridge

[​IMG]

- On top of Natural Bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting rock formations. Mother nature is amazing
    GlennJ and GAS GUY like this.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GlennJ, 2wingdoc05, Enfo and 3 others like this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    - THE END.

[​IMG]
  7. DeansZG

DeansZG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please say it ain't so......
    GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  8. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What??????? No...
    GAS GUY likes this.
  9. kenichi2014

kenichi2014 WingnPrayer

Oddometer:
    No Way! Man it would be ashame to not keep this going, but I can respect Gas Guy if he is burnt out and wants to move onto new horizons in his adventure(s). I'm sure what ever he decides will be quality material he is gifted, no doubt about it.
    GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I appreciate all of the love. It really means alot. For multiple reasons, it is just time to end this thread. Mostly, it is as Kenichi implied: I'm feeling burned out; a break is needed. Plus, the thread is so long (5 years) that the material just ends up getting buried.

Another challenge, is once again, major changes to the format of the photo hosting site, specifically Flickr, are right around the corner. It seems the structures of social media are continually becoming more monetized. Whether it is out of necessity or profit is probably irrelevant. I keep an open and objective mind, and I am not complaining (nobody owes me anything) but it taints things at some level for me. I'm not crazy about the constant changes to these (sensitive or personal) formats and the feeling of being held hostage in order for your pictures not to be deleted, after sucking you into a prior understanding and allowing you to invest years and countless hours of time. It's not even that I'm opposed to the (fair) monthly fee for the newly structured plan, but once again, you are essentially committed for life. Otherwise, once you stop paying, all of your work will be dissolved. Not a big problem if you are only using them for storage (since you can download and save your photos) but when the pictures are linked to threads, then all of those links are broken and the quality and structure of all of your posts are then compromised. So, if this system is viewed in a long-term frame of mind, it is weak; making it hard to continue investing so many hours into it. Once again, just my view.

The desire to write and report is still strong, but I want to focus more on the writing and not so much on the pictures. Maybe only share a select few pictures; the best. We all know an amazing book is without any pictures. Even though I am just a novice, my goal would be to write more interestingly and compliment it with a few pictures. But, because of my busy life and riding, I need more time to let things digest and put thoughts on paper as articulately as possible.

One thing I've noticed over the years, is that the more emphasis that is put on pictures (especially quality ones) the more the potential of becoming lazy with the written word. I've proved this out to my self many times: By sitting down and writing out a report, before even considering the associated pictures, alot more accurate detail and pertinent descriptions come to mind. You go deeper. Then as I simultaneously review the write-up and look over the pictures, I can selectively interject the most coincidingly evoking pictures. This technique seems to produce the most satisfying report - in my eyes.

On the contrary, when I choose a picture, and then attempt to describe it, an impediment to creativity is often experienced (for me) because the picture wants to do all of the work. Pictures are powerful, but the written word carries with it the most weight. When the two can mesh just right - that is the art.

So, those are some of the things bouncing around in my head. We will see what transpires. Maybe better things, maybe nothing. No promises. But, I don't want to force anything or feel rushed. That would be counterintuitive to quality - or any potential creativity. In the future, there is a chance of starting another thread here in Day Trippin' - or most likely, I would probably just post individual stand-alone reports (also here in Day Trippin') when I get the chance to write-up something and feel so compelled. So, stay tuned. Gas Guy out.

20994345712_766d4bb2ca_b.jpg
  11. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff, Thanks for all of your work on this thread over the years. Of course your Michigan related posts have been my favorite ones but your bike builds and other trips have been good reads too.
    Take care
    GlennJ, 2wingdoc05 and GAS GUY like this.
  12. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time and putting in the great effort to post your adventures and insights in this thread. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Best wishes for the adventures ahead.
    GlennJ, 2wingdoc05 and GAS GUY like this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeff; it's been a ride. Just a thought on photo hosting sites. My pics are my pics. I have always stored them on my computer and back them up every time I download more from my camera. I am too cheap to use a hosting site and also will never suffer the "hostage syndrome" with my pics. I direct post to this and several other sites without any difficulty what so ever, so as long as the site is here, so are my pics. Good luck in the future and never stop recording your life journey.....Dave
  14. MileEater4ever

MileEater4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeff - nice work! See you out on the road.
  15. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've known for some time that you were going to close this thread and somehow it kept going so when you told me a few weeks ago you were going to let this thread die I really wasn't surprised. it really has been a " good read " and like others I've enjoyed it
  16. GlennJ

GlennJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dibs on a personally autographed copy of your first book! :)
  17. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for allowing me to "ride" along on some of your journeys. It's a strange thing...I've never met you but feel like I know you somewhat. LOL. Take it easy man and thanks again!
    B10Dave, 2wingdoc05 and GAS GUY like this.