GS / ST Trippin', Trials - and an Evolution !

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 28, 2014.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG

First on the agenda today is Colonial Williamsburg.
    Arriving first thing in the morning afforded me the opportunity to photograph the pristine Duke of Gloucester street while devoid of people.

The only souls present were a couple of groundskeepers tidying up and making sure everything is immaculate before the days activities and a occasional runner passing by.
    What a wonderful place to take an early morning trot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wandered over to Aromas coffee shop on Prince George street and waited for them to open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was worth the wait !!!
    One thing I thoroughly enjoy while traveling is coming across worthy gourmet coffee shops.

[​IMG]

There's nothing quite like a proper cup of coffee.
    Aromas also had a delicious classic breakfast.

[​IMG]

With the bike securely parked,another benefit of arriving early before all the convenient spots are filled up,it was time to take a stroll back into the streets of old Williamsburg for a few hours.

[​IMG]
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    You could easily spend days here,but I was doing the condensed tour and stayed walking and poking around except for a few brief stops at a few interesting locations.

[​IMG]

Seeing the stockade outside of the courthouse made you think.

I'll bet if perpetrators had to spend time in the stockade with the sun beating down on them and people gawking and sneering,they would think twice next time.

[​IMG]

Someone was passing by,so I just had to get my picture taken in it !!!

[​IMG]

The Blacksmith shop and public Armoury was definately a worthwhile stop....

[​IMG]

....with the furnaces roaring from the air fed in by a ceiling mounted mechanical bellows....

[​IMG]

...and a fair maiden tending the shop.

[​IMG]

The quaint wood shop had that aromatic smell that anyone who has worked with wood will appreciate !!

[​IMG]

I stopped in the kitchen and had a chat with a women while she cleaned and prepared a chicken.
    She explained that whatever they cook that day is what all the workers there eat for lunch.
    She also described how the large opening fireplaces are for cooking,and the smaller units are for heating.
    I love those large cooking fireplaces.
    You could have alot of fun doing cast iron cooking in one of those over the winter time.

[​IMG]

The Tin shop was a sight to see with all of the work pieces sitting out on the tables.

[​IMG]

Even today the Capital building is magnificent !

Personally,I prefer old architecture and feel it has much more character and charm.

[​IMG]

The Governors Palace and Palace Green.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DuaKembara likes this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    -YORKTOWN

It began at Jamestown in 1607.
    It ended and began anew at Yorktown in 1781.

An English settlement of 104 men and boys on the James River expanded into 13 British Colonies.

It ended for Great Britain in a port town on the York River,where independence for the new United States became a reality.

[​IMG]

Leaving Williamsburg,I jumped back onto Colonial Parkway (23 mile long scenic byway) and ran it out until it's terminus in Yorktown.

[​IMG]

For the next few hours I walked the Yorktown Battlefield,which is the site of the last major battle of the American Revolution and browsed the visitor center.

[​IMG]

I walked some of the trails which led through various parts of the Battlefield and Redoubts.(tactical positions)

I noticed some of the wheels on the cannons had Knobbies and some were smooth.

[​IMG]

There was nothing out there that was going to hold my attention for long.
    Mostly just fields with some historical points of interest.

[​IMG]

The only remotely fascinating things to me were the cannons and mortars which is what I focused on photographing.

Some were down right beautiful !!

[​IMG]

I guess if you were a history buff and studied these events in detail then you might really connect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A short ride down the street and I was in the center of Yorktown,which is a very small and clean town with a nice selection of restaurants and pubs along the York River and a small beach.

[​IMG]

There was a Bicycle tourer there with a very nicely set up Surly Disc Trucker.

[​IMG]

I had lunch and a walk along the river and then back on the parkway retracing my route back to Jamestown.

The Colonial Parkway offers spectacular views of the York and James Rivers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread, I enjoy it.. :clap

More please!
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Cool !!! I am glad you are enjoying it !!
    I still have 4 more days left of the Ride Report.
    It's taking me awhile, slowly but surely I'll get it all up.:D
    I have to get busy though, cause in 2 weeks I have to head North for the Lake Superior 1000 !!!:eek1
    That should make for an intriguing report.:evil
  6. buzzardair

buzzardair terraqueous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR, keep the pics coming. :clap
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    The positive feedback inspires me to keep posting !!! :D
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    -JAMESTOWNE

Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America.

[​IMG]

Time was running thin for the day,and I spent an afternoon walking Historic Jamestowne last year,so I decided to focus on the 2 things I missed last year.
    The Island drive loop and the Glass House.

The Island drive was a very small one way and one lane drive through some forest area and marshy spots with boardwalk driveways.
    Many turtles crossing the road in this area made for keeping an eye out.

[​IMG]

I had never experienced riding on a boardwalk like this.

[​IMG]

About halfway through the drive,I came across a pullout with a walking path down to Black Point.

[​IMG]

An attempt at a panoramic shot at Black Point.

[​IMG]

Last stop for the day is the Glass House.

The Virginia Company was granted a charter in April of 1606 from King James I. On May 13th, 1607 the London Company established Jamestown, America’s first permanent English settlement. Today daily you can watch as glass is made in the same way as it was made back then. Visit the Jamestown Glasshouse at the Jamestown Historical Site to get a glimpse into glass-making of the past.

Glassblowing was one of the Jamestown colonists’ first attempts at industrialization and manufacturing in America. In 1608, the Virginia Company of London brought several German and Polish glassblowing artisans to Jamestown, Virginia to set-up glassworks in the new colony. This first attempt was not successful.

Later, in 1622, the Company would again attempt to manufacture glass with Italian glassblowers, but this attempt failed also

[​IMG]

In 1954, the ruins of the long-abandoned glass furnaces were discovered in Jamestown. Years later, an operating 17th century style glass house was reconstructed near the ruins. Today, this site has become an interpretive glassblowing facility operated by Eastern National. Modern-day artisans dressed in colonial glassblowing garb produce masterful pieces of glass, much as the colonists did almost 400 years ago.

Today the glass furnace is heated by natural gas, rather than by wood as in 1608. Our craftsmen use tools and methods similar to those used in the 17th century. However, 17th century techniques do not prepare the glass for modern day use.

[​IMG]

It is fascinating to watch the master Glass Blowers working with the molten glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the Ferry to cross the James River.
    There was a bit of a line and a short wait this time.
    As I sat there waiting, a Sea Osprey (A Raptor, AKA as a Sea Hawk)entertained me as he hovered 30 or 40 feet overhead and then fell into a hard dive and with a loud splash hit the water grasping for a fish.
    He did this a few times until he came out with one.
    He disappeared up into a tree for a while and then returned for some more spectacular diving.

[​IMG]

A passing Ferry with Historic Jamestowne in the backdrop as I chilled out on the top deck cooling off with the refreshing breeze.

[​IMG]

Back at Dad's for the evening,we have dinner together.
    In the morning I will be heading down to the Outer Banks for a few days so it is good to spend some time with Dad.

[​IMG]

After dinner we moved outside to the covered porch with a tin roof and shared a few beers together and talked about life, just as a hard,hard rain hammered down.

The hard rain on the hot tin roof took me way back to the days of hard drinking in remote mountain villages of Korea during monsoon season....
    ...when life was simple...almost primitive compared to today.

I remember one year over there,it rained so hard for so long that the streets and labyrinth like corridors in between the hootch's were like flowing rivers.
    I was in a bigger Ville at the time called Tongduchon.
    Cars were actually floating down the streets.
    We would wade through waist deep water in the alley corridors and step over sandbagged doorways into a club and get a drink !!
    Bizarre times !!!

Back in the day,those hard rains were almost spiritual to me.

For a moment,I was young and bulletproof again.

Then reality set in and I realized 4:30 AM comes early and I better get some sleep.

[​IMG]
  9. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Good RR and pix. :thumb Subscribed.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks !
    Hopefully I can start posting Day 3 Monday.
  11. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! You have pushed New England a few notches up on my tick-list!.
  12. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great work cuz, a very nice read
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    -DAY 3

VIRGINIA BEACH

Up again at 4:30 AM,staying on schedule to get the most out of my day's on the road.

Once again,Dad is heading into the shipyard for work and I am enroute to the Outer Banks after a quick stop in Virginia Beach.

After thumbing the starter and bringing the ST to life,I give my Dad a hug goodbye and tell him I love him.
    Depending on my timetable and the route back North,I tell him I may pop back in to see him Sunday.

The first 25 miles or so we are travelling the same direction,so I will follow him till our roads diverge,and he follows the James River Bridge to Newport News and I head for the Coast.

While following him and looking at his reflection in his side and rear view mirrors,just as day is breaking and I am still somewhat groggy,I reflect back to the 80's and 90's,when it seemed like he had sold his soul to white powder and alcohol and his work ethic was at best sporadic and how ironic it is that now at 65 years old,while drawing social security he gets up so early and works non stop !!!

Then I remember him often saying back then that "People have it all backwards ! You should live it up when you are young and vibrant and then just work until you die ! "
    I guess he really did mean it.:eek1 I just thought at the time he was going to party until he died,and skip the work part.
    I think he tried but was just too damn tough and stubborn to die.:lol3

[​IMG]

After battling traffic through the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Chesapeake metropolitan area and a stop for the big 3 essentials fuel/food/coffee.(Back in the Infantry the saying was "Bullets and Water":DThis Moto Touring is a lot better gig.)
    I finally arrived in Virginia Beach.

53,285 - MILES
    253 - FUEL TRIP
    5.823 - GALLONS PREMIUM
    43.46 - MPG

[​IMG]

I don't know why I even bother to stop here and deal with that God awful traffic.The trade off is sketchy at best.
    After a few trips to VB over the years,the vibe here isn't my style with all the huge motels and somewhat junky stores.
    I like things more natural.
    But not only am I a journey rider,I am also a destination rider so sometimes I just go ahead and make the rounds anyway.
    In all fairness though,It is kind of a neat place and I am sure many people love it.

[​IMG]

Due to a heavy Military prescence in this area you are likely to hear a Fighter Jet crack through the atmosphere overhead or a Chopper thumping off in the distance.
    Although the planes are cool,the Helicopters really stir my soul !!!
    There is nothing quite like sitting right at the edge and facing out of an open door on a Huey or Blackhawk while it performs a NAP-OF-THE-EARTH flight course !! EXCITING !!

One more shot before I leave.It's going to have to be a Selfie.
    Everytime I take a Selfie I think of the song "SELFIE" by the Chainsmokers and laugh.:rofl

[​IMG]

Only one quick way out of here,and that is back through the Metro area that will link me up with Highway 168(Chesapeake Expressway) South and down to greener pastures or sandier ones rather.

So I dial up some Electronica on the XM radio to heighten my adrenaline and set out across the mean streets of Norfolk as the Hunter and not the Hunted !!! :lol3
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    THE OUTER BANKS (OBX)

A thin broken strand of islands curves out into the Atlantic Ocean and back again in a sheltering embrace of North Carolina's mainland coast and offshore sounds.

For thousands of years these barrier islands- North Carolina's Outer Banks- have survived onslaughts of wind and sea.

Their long stretches of beach,sand dunes,marshes,and woodlands are set aside as Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

It can be a lonely place;you may walk the beach unseen except by shore birds looking for a meal.
    It can be a place of discovery;you may visit the 1870 Cape Hatteras Lighthouse,one of many monuments to our encounter with the sea.

[​IMG]

On the way down I come across Outer Banks Harly Davidson,so I pull in for a break and to browse around.

In the past I used to stop at many HD dealers that I encountered while travelling back when I rode a full dress Harley,so occasionally I still do.
    Old habits are hard to break.:D

[​IMG]

I don't remember this one last time I was through here,but that was probably 10 years ago.

A little deeper in at Mile Post 13 I come across Nags Head HD.

[​IMG]

10 years ago I did stop here and they had a nice small souvineer sticker back then,but not anymore.I was hoping to score a few.
    After a short chat with the lady working there that just happened to be from Michigan (Bloomfield Hills) I'm back heading south on 12.

Ahhh,Bodie Island Light house !!!
    They offer tours up to the top,but I need to get down to Frisco and get a camping spot before they fill up.
    But I am going to stop back on the way out and climb this thing and see the view from the top !!!

[​IMG]

The Iron Butt Association has a ride called The Lighthouse Tour.
    The minimal accomplishment is proof to having visited 60 different Lighthouses in a year.
    You can either get the dated stamps when they are offered in the visitor center or you can get a picture with your numbered flag that members can purchase.
    I don't know if I will have the time to gather up 60 and finish,but I am having fun getting the ones I do.
    My first Lighthouse.

[​IMG]

More on Bodie Lighthouse in a few days.

Cape Hatteras National Seashore stretches North to South across 3 Islands,BODIE,HATTERAS,and OCRACOKE.

NC Hwy.12,narrow but paved,and Hatteras inlet ferry link the Islands.

The highway goes through eight villages that reflect the Outer Banks' nearly 300 year history.

The curvy bridge leading over the Oregon Inlet from Bodie Island to Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge on Hatteras Island is pretty wild.

[​IMG]

Rolling down the road with wind swept sand dunes coming right up to the edges of the road is something different also.

[​IMG]

And many colorful beach houses or condos,often on stilts, as you roll into and through villages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    After passing through a few more villages and some open stretches of road another lighthouse looms in the distance.

CAPE HATTERAS LIGHTHOUSE

Built in 1870,it is the second tallest in the world,at 198.5 feet and open for climbing in the summer.

[​IMG]

Once again just a quick stop and I made note of the business hours in the visitor center so I could come back here tommorow and climb it.

Right now I wanted to go secure a camping spot in the dunes at Frisco,which the nice lady reassured me is the place to camp,before they filled up.

More on the Lighthouse tommorow.

On the way in via a winding road along woods and marshes I spotted a little deer along the road.
    Coming back out he was still hanging around.

[​IMG]

Just about 5 miles down the road and I arrive at Frisco National Park Service campground(not to be confused with the private frisco woods campground down the road)

I'm in luck and a handfull of sites are still available.($20.00 a night)
    After a quick ride through I pick one and set up my Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 person tent.

[​IMG]
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Frisco campground is located among the dunes and operates on a first come first serve basis.

Soil of the campground is sandy and longer tent stakes are recommended.
    I thought ahead on this and had made a stop into REI prior to the trip and picked up some sand/snow stakes.

There are no shade trees.

Mosquitoes can be a problem,repellent is recommended.

The campgrounds are located on the Ocean side seperated from the beach by barrier dunes.

After setting up camp,I'm off to find an early dinner and maybe a few beers since I skipped lunch.

This place looks appealing.
    Capt'n Rolo's
    I had a delicious North Carolina pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw on top and a Eastern North Carolina barbeque sauce which is a light colored vinegar based sauce that was out of sight.
    This will be my dinner spot tommorow also.
    I highly recommend.
    Very nice and clean with a restaurant atmosphere,fair prices,good food and generous portions compared to other places I have eaten in the area.

[​IMG]

Now that everthing is squared away for the evening and I am fed and watered it's time to relax on the beach until bed time.

I traverse the long boardwalk through the barrier dunes to the beach.

[​IMG]

And arrive at the Beach.
    Now this is my kind of beach.
    It's in a natural state without elbow to elbow people and with the dunes at my back instead of huge buildings and with a permit you can even bring your truck or motorcycle down to the beach.
    Now that has got me to thinking.
    It sure would be cool to have the KLR down here and riding along the firmer packed sand just before the surf. !!

[​IMG]

I stretch out my towel and kick back,letting all the stress of Detroit just slip away.
    Laying there listening to the surf crash in and the birds sing with the light,fresh air hitting my body is like magic and I even dose off for a few.

After a spell,I come to and sit up and look down to my right into the setting sun which creates a kind of hazy look as my eyes try to adjust.

I must be dreaming.

Horses in the Ocean ? Frolicking in the surf ?

I never thought I would see such a thing in this remote setting.

I start heading that way with my camera hoping to capture a picture.

They are heading the other direction,so I start jogging to catch up before it's too late.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The riders see me photographing them and smile while riding to shore to talk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were super friendly and sweet girls.
    They were North Carolina girls down from the Winston-Salem area.
    I told them I never thought I would see horses out in the surf and how awsome it was.

They said they could ride them anywhere the trucks were allowed with a permit,and that the horses loved to ride out into the water.
  17. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
  19. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha.. thats cool...

Some guys go up to da UP and miss out on pasties 'n gravy, eh?... some guys go to the coast and eat pork!! :lol3
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I wandered around the beach taking it all in and feeling the spirit of the location.
    It definately has a good vibe here !!

[​IMG]

Every so often the camera would come out and an attempt at capturing something significant to portray the landscape would be made,like some ripples in the sand where the beach transitions into the dunes or an opening between some grassy dunes leading to the beach and ocean beyond.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not having true photography skills or equipment can be frustrating,but I try to be as creative as I can.
    It's fun trying.
    As the sun was setting most of the remaining 4wd's were leaving the beach.

[​IMG]

Occasionally someone would get stuck trying to get through the piles of churned up and rutted sugar sand at the exit location if they lost momentum.
    A couple from New York City in a rented import SUV got themselves stuck and did not have a clue.
    They didn't even own a car back home.
    I helped them get unstuck and redirected and coached him on getting a running start and maintaining momentum until he was up and out of the uphill exit ramp area.
    A few last minute shore fisherman would pull up and try their luck for awhile,but before long they would pickup and move along.

[​IMG]

Before you knew it the beach was desolate other than the sounds of a few birds and the surf.

[​IMG]

It was a long day and I was ready for bed as I was planning on getting up early to catch the sunrise,so I headed back to camp.

-The beaches along Cape Hatteras National Seashore sparkle at night.
    When you kick the sand,you disturb tiny dinoflagellates like seasparkle.
    A chemical reaction causes them to glow with a blue-green light.

I read and wrote this down about a year ago wanting to walk the seashore at night and experience it.
    Would you believe I forgot all about it until I got home and didn't walk the beach at night ?
    Oh well,next time.
    It's an excuse to go back.

As far as the weather is concerned,I feel like I hit the jackpot !

[​IMG]

Frisco's Friday night weather statistics @ 9:00 PM.
    68 Degree's
    29.98 in. pressure
    51 Degree dew point
    5 MPH Easterly wind
    54 percent humidity
    75 percent cloud cover
    sunrise@ 5:53 AM
    sunset@ 8:06 PM

Even with some cloud cover,there were big openings in the sky full of stars to gaze at.

With the perfect temperatures and sweet ocean breeze there were virtually no bugs to be concerned with.
    The DEET never left the saddlebag.
    After crawling into my Cosmic Down the ocean lulled me to sleep.