GS / ST Trippin', Trials - and an Evolution !

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GAS GUY, Mar 28, 2014.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Within ten miles upon entering the parkway, Humpback Rocks loomed above as I pulled into the visitor center and farm. The rocks humped appearance gives the area its name.

[​IMG]

The Humpback Rocks Mountain Farm is a graveled walk through a restored 1890's mountain farm landscape.

[​IMG]

A man's home is his castle. The log cabin has always been associated with the American frontier, but the idea for homes built of logs came into this country with the immigrants from Northern Europe.

[​IMG]

-The early southern highlanders adopted this type of contruction and found it well suited to their needs. Using the mountains' most abundant resource, trees, a log cabin could be built quickly with only a few simple tools.

[​IMG]

-Dug into the hillside this cool, dark root cellar was a store house for vegetables and fruits. Smoked and cured meat hung from the rafters.

[​IMG]

I've read and seen pictures of the view from the top of the rocks and mountain. Hiking this area is something I have longed to do. Knowing I already had a big day ahead of me, I struggled with the decision of spending hours here. I even rode across the road to the trail head and started to remove gear but then decided to save it for another day when I can really enjoy the experience and not feel rushed. So for now I will give a descripton of the trail until I can get back here.

[​IMG]

-The Humpback Rocks Trail begins at the south end of the Humpback Gap parking area, providing access to Humpback Rocks (1 mile), Humpback Mountain (2 miles), and the Humpback Rocks picnic area (3.9 miles).
    -The strenuous 700-foot climb to Humpback Rocks rewards hikers with spectacular views of the Rockfish and Shenandoah Valleys. Hikers continuing straight at the fork will join with the Appalachian Trail and reach the summit of Humpback Mountain in another mile to view ridges to the north.
    -Beyond the summit, the trail winds a half-mile along the top of a cliff to a trail leading to the Humpback Rocks picnic area.
    -The Appalachian Trail (AT) is the nation's premier hiking path, stretching 2,182 miles from Maine to Georgia.

2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

-The Blue Ridge Parkway extends 469 miles along the crests of the Southern Appalachians and links two eastern national parks- Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains.

[​IMG]

-To the North the parkway connects directly to Skyline Drive, which winds 105 miles north through Shenandoah National Park.

[​IMG]

The Parkway follows the Appalachian Mountain chain for seemingly endless views of parallel ranges connected by cross ranges and scattered hills.

[​IMG]
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    It was another perfect day as the miles passed too quickly.The parkway is a relaxing 45 MPH smooth,winding and therapeutic ride.

[​IMG]

Although the Rhododendron were not yet in full bloom,occasionally I would pass a beautiful cluster.
    Between the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Appalachian Trail a man could spend a lot of quality time in these parts without needing a huge budget.

I wonder if that day will ever come,where I actually have the time to do things different,and if it does will I be healthy enough to do it,or have the drive ??

[​IMG]

That is the race many of us are in,and unfortunately the one most of us lose.
    Only time will tell.
  4. rascalman

rascalman GhostRider, the clock is ticking

Oddometer:
    Grand report!
    I think you answered your own question with the first sentence below, just replace the word Rhododendron with "days of my life".

Although the Rhododendron were not yet in full bloom, occasionally I would pass a beautiful cluster.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Between the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Appalachian Trail a man could spend a lot of quality time in these parts without needing a huge budget.<o:p></o:p>
    I wonder if that day will ever come, where I actually have the time to do things different, and if it does will I be healthy enough to do it, or have the drive ??
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rascalman !!
    That's sharp how you switched a few key words and changed the perspective.:D
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Another pull off had a old logging railroad and rugged mountain waterfall that was set back into the forest along a trail and boulders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a couple of girls hanging out on a huge boulder and they were kind enough to take a picture for me after I climbed up onto a log wedged into the falls. This was a special place and called Wigwam Falls.

[​IMG]

When I came upon the Route 60 Junction, with a heavy heart I had to depart the parkway.

Passing through Buena Vista, I made a mental note that it was a clean looking Appalachian town with a couple small motor lodges that would make a nice base to stage Appalachian adventures out of.
    One thing about West Virginia, is even the Interstates are scenic.

[​IMG]

It's getting into the heat of the day now and memorial day traffic is also getting heavy.

It's elbow to elbow in the service plaza with all the travelers trying to get home.

54,077 - ODO
    270.4 - FUEL TRIP
    6.390 - GALLONS PREMIUM

42.31 - MPG
    Crossing into Ohio, it doesn't take long to notice the Ohio state patrol is out in force.
    You have to watch your speeds through Ohio, especially during holidays. A trucker came on over the CB stating a bear was tailing a motorcycle. I knew he was talking about me so I backed off some and then the police car came into the view and did a u-turn going the other direction. That was close, thanks!
    In my mirror I could see another motorcycle approaching …quickly. Usually I am moving along at a fast pace and doing the passing.This bike was coming on and going to overtake me ! Oh, that explains it. Another ST !!! :D

[​IMG]

Near Cleveland, I entered the turnpike for the remaining distance to Toledo, after fueling up.

54,361 - ODO
    284.2 - FUEL TRIP
    6.309 - GALLONS PREMIUM

45.04 - MPG
    The final miles passed by uneventful and quickly as the Turnpike traffic always moves briskly.I was running very hard and working the busy lanes full of holiday travelers, all the while keeping a watchful eye out.
    Back home after a safe trip,it was time to unwind and get ready for work in the morning.I went and topped the fuel tank and was surprised by the decent fuel mileage considering how efficiently I covered the last stretch.

54,590 - ODO
    228.8 - FUEL TRIP
    5.356 - GALLONS PREMIUM

42.71 – MPG
    It was nice to see my wife and 2 daughters after being away, along with my 3 dogs and cat.
    My daughters loved the marble dolphins I picked up for them in the Outer Banks.
    I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful home and family and still get to go out on adventures and travel.Many only get one or the other and not both.
    And it is amazing that often I take it for granted and still struggle hard to find balance.
    Always wanting for and to do more and better.
    It is one of the mysterious curses of man kind !!!
  7. GlennJ

GlennJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That mysterious curse is a divine spark. Better to be cursed with a divine spark, than not. (my opinion)

Great read.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Glen, that is an interesting input.
  9. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a great ride report cousin jeff and thanks for letting me tag along on some of your adventures. good to see you here glenn, I sent you an email
  10. GlennJ

GlennJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, my original input is not quite accurate. Let my try again?
    I believe all of us are created with a restlessness and hunger. At the risk of trying to guess the unknowable, I suspect it's part of having a spirit that is fashioned after our creator...perhaps what it really means to be made 'in the image'. Life isn't anywhere close to what it could be without that "divine discontent", and yet many do not dig deeply enough into themselves to ever uncover it. It's a blessing to be aware of always wanting for and to do more and better, and a bigger blessing to have the initiative to act on it.
    My opinion.
  11. GlennJ

GlennJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi William! I have not seen your email and would welcome staying in touch. Will you send it again? I'll PM you the address through this forum, in case I wrote it down wrong after being up so late past my usual bedtime, hehe...
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Its always a pleasure when you join the ride.
    I must admit, I was a little apprehensive at first, not sure if you would be able to maintain the pace at times, but you have proved to be a Mile Eater.Well, I should say after August 8th you will be a Mile Eater.:evil
    That thirsty Wing does need a fuel cell though.:wink:
    Soon, I need to get posting the next report, I am two behind now.
  13. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    :lurk Catch up when you can. I am enjoying following along.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Good stuff.

Divine is the key word here.Otherwise that discontent can and often turns disastrous or negative.
    It can be a blessing to want more and to have the ability to act on it, but only if done in the right mindset with inner peace. Also, you must enjoy the journey, and not just the accomplishment. (Which often happens with an A type personality)
    There are so many angles and variables to everything and everybody, that life is a continuous battle to grow and understand until the end, for those striving to be wise or those who care.
    I know it is for me, I'm constantly dealing with issues within.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Awsome !!
    I am drafting up the start of the Lake Superior ride now.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

-The day before
    Thursday 19 June 2014

We had two rooms reserved a month in advance at the Seaway Motel in Sault Sainte Marie,Michigan.
    A small one story L-shaped motor lodge that has seen better days,but has character and modest rates,both of which appeal to me.

The Smith's shared one room,my couzin Will,AKA drbuzzard on Advrider and myself and then Scott,AKA GasGuzzler on Advrider along with Ken,AKA BigTruckGuy on Advrider shared the other.

The plan was to ride up individually and just meet up at the motel whenever.
    The sweet elderly women who owns the place was informed four riders will be coming in at different times and whoever gets there first will pay for their respective rooms and collect their key.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

- This guy is a beast on two wheels,and has been riding on and off road damn near since he was a baby !!
    He is to blame...I mean thank for introducing me to Long distance Touring 13 years ago.

Once he rode from Lansing,Michigan to New Orleans,Louisiana,which is just over 1,000 miles in like 16 hours.
    The amazing part is he didn't leave Lansing until the evening and this is after getting up at 5:00 am in Monroe and riding to Detroit to work all day,then riding to Belleville to pick up BigTruckGuy,and then rode out to Lansing to finally start the ride.
    I warned you he was a beast !!! :D
    His current weapon of choice is a 2006 BMW R1200GSA that just turned 100,000 miles.
    I found him this bike around 2007 with only 10,000 miles on it and loaded up with accessories for an insanely cheap price on the western side of Indiana.
    At the time I was riding a 2002 BMW 1150 GSA and I told him " If you dont want or like the Bike in Indiana,that I will buy it,so you cant go wrong."
    I even rode him out there two up on my BMW to get it.Co-workers tried teasing us about riding two up and I simply said "When you are secure in your masculinity,you can do that.":rofl

He has one distinguishing feature.His body looks that of a 21 year old but his head appears to have worn out 3 bodies !!:lol3
    He must not be worried about it either because I caught him riding around Sault Sainte Marie without his helmet.:eek1
    I tell ya,you can put a guy on a BMW but you just can't get all of the Harley out of him.
    I threatened to tell STICKGIRL (His young impressionable daughter) and he said no,"Don't tell her" so hopefully she don't find this.:D

[​IMG]

That reminds me of an article Fred Rau wrote years ago.
    He went to 3 rallys one year.A Goldwing rally,a Harley rally and a Bmw rally.
    He noticed the Harley riders all wore full leather from head to toe but no helmets.
    He noticed the wing riders all wore helmets but were in shorts,T-shirts and flip flops.
    But the BMW riders wore ATGATT.
    So he concluded that it appeared Harley riders cared about their body and not their head and that the Wing riders cared about their heads and not their body while the BMW riders cared about their head and body,or something to that effect.
    Then I see GasGuzzler like this and it defies everything.:lol3
  18. GlennJ

GlennJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Harley riders go to bars
    Gold Wing riders go to Dairy Queens
    BMW riders go to Starbucks
    ADV riders go riding!"
    :)
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

-He is like a mysterious ninja quietly hanging back in the shadows and make no mistake about it,he always comes to the fight weilding a big stick !!
    Years ago I introduced and accompanied Ken to his first Iron Butt ride.
    This will be our third documented Iron Butt ride TOGETHER,not to mention the countless miles we have ridden with each other touring all over the country.
    His current long distance steed is a 2009 BMW R1200GSA with 38,000 miles on it that he bought brand new,with a little push from GasGuzzler and myself.What are friends for ?
    He has one pet peave...sheepskin seat covers creep him out.:lol3
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

"HARLEY GUYS" GO RIDING ALSO.:wink:

GlennJ clinbing off his Harley after a 1,052 mile day.

[​IMG]