GS to Multistrada (or other direction, or both?)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by dmac57, Jun 13, 2018.

1. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings!
    I know there are those who have gone in either direction between these two beasts; wanted to solicit some opinions about ownership of the two. I know the Multi is lighter and more powerful; I know the GS is heavier-duty, and maybe less bothered by bad surfaces. But how do you compare "life" with the two?

TIA!
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I went with my senses (visual, auditory, touch) and got a Multi Enduro. Best comparison would be the GS (both have 19" front wheels.)

It didn't hurt that my local Ducati dealer is stellar, but my local BMW dealer is abyssmal.
    BruceWA and bobw like this.
  3. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    I've owned both. The GS is probably easier to live with and if I was doing big distances would be my choice of the two. The Multi is definitely more tightly wound and has a fantastic chassis. If you want to scare yourself on a Sunday morning it's the one to own (comparatively). I'd be happy with either again and the new Rallye and Enduro iterations of each bike makes the choice even harder
  4. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Prior to my current 2016 Ducati MTS 1200S, my everyday/distance bike was a 2010 GSA.
    2010 GSA.jpg

I put 93,000 miles on the GSA, and was very happy with the reliability and versatility of the BMW. A plus was that I was able to do all the routine maintenance on it, and the valves never needed adjusting. I traded the GSA in for the Ducati, and currently have just over 27,000 miles on it.

2017 Fontana 4.jpg

I went to the Multistrada because, even though the BMW did everything I asked of it, there was a certain excitement missing. The Ducati has delivered that in spades ! Of course there always seems to be trade-off - I don't do the valve checks myself on the Ducati, so that adds to the service costs. You do go through tires a little quicker as well. :wink: Although the MTS has never given me any mechanical issues, it has had a few electric/electronic problems. Fortunately, they were all fixed under the warranty, but I did add a two year extension to the factory warranty. :D

The newer BMWs might provide more excitement in the form of more performance than my 2010 did, but I'm happy enough with the Multistrada right now to not consider getting rid of it. :thumb
    BruceWA, bobw, dmac57 and 2 others like this.
  5. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, FL-that's a great perspective. The extended warranty adds a reasonably hefty bite to the purchase cost, but I guess that's better than major repairs. Other than the FD on the GS, I haven't fretted over the possibility of major repair. Over on the Duc forum there are two threads discussing crankshaft failure. Ye Gods.
  6. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only added 2 years when my original warranty was coming up close to running out. Better safe than sorry.
  7. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    A vocal minority. For every one of those, there are tens or hundreds of bikes that never need a catastrophic service. Mind you, I'm a bit biased.
  8. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    I understand. No matter the bike, if it's your arse on the side of the road, you're likely to sing long and loud.
    Still happy to hear more nuggets of wisdom.
  9. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    I guess I haven't read up on any of the crankshaft failures. Most I remember is the aforementioned porous heads on the early, early production bikes in 2010. Other than that, it's the occasional wireless key system niggles or the 'clunk' discussed with the Sachs suspension bikes.
  10. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had two GSs, an '08 and a '16. They are great bikes. Did a lot of 2-up with them, some of it unpaved. But I have a soft spot for Italian machines and a bit of being nuts. I also had a 1st gen Multi which was a great bike until a coyote did it in. After cycling through a bunch of bikes, I had the GS and my '17 Multi at the same time, and ended up trading the GS for a KTM Super Adventure S. Once you get used to having more hp, it can be hard to go back. The GS is an incredibly competent machine. The Multi is more involving - totally different temperament. They are somewhat different beasts though - GS is significantly better on the dirt than the Multi, while the Multi is more like a very comfy sport bike. The KTM and GS are much closer in terms of ride feel (19/17' wheel combo), except for the extra power that the KTM has.

Hard to go wrong with any of them, but they all have different personalities.
    Griff_33 likes this.
  11. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don, this is where you can put the pictures. Or in the DVT Multistrada thread. :evil
    bobw likes this.
  12. Griff_33

Griff_33 Former GMan

Oddometer:
    I think the MTS950 is that pretty girlfriend you had when you were younger... She demanded your full attention when you were together. This bike will scoot and attention to detail is a must. Ride it and you'll find out this bike pulls from 3K in a very linear way. Yank on the throttle and be prepared to hang on...

Cheers mate,
    G
    BobcatSig likes this.
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the 950 weigh as much as the 1200 pretty much
  14. woodlandstiger

woodlandstiger Geaux Tigers

Oddometer:
    I have a 2017 GS Rallye that I love, but it is like riding lawnmower compared to the 2014 MTS. I always had a big grin when riding the MTS, but I never felt fully confident in the reliability. It was probably not warranted, but the fuel sensor did have to be replaced 3 times in 2 years. Personally the GS suits me better, but I really enjoyed the MTS when I had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my fuel sensor went on the fritz a couple days before my trip up to NC - again. :lol2

Definitely a pain on a longer trip, you've got to keep a closer eye on the tripmeter. You can't just glance at the fuel bars, because some times it's working, some times it gets hung up partway and shows gas when you are getting close to empty. That's worse than when all the lights are flashing GET GAS - GET GAS NOW when you just filled up 20 minutes ago. :bluduh
  16. Griff_33

Griff_33 Former GMan

Oddometer:
    The 950 is only sightly less weight wet but it has a longer wheel base, the 19" front wheel, and the fully adjustable KYB 48mm front fork. The seat height is higher than the 1200 and isn't adjustable.

It really feels nimble on road. No experience off the hard ball as yet. Got my first break-in service yesterday at just over 1K on the clock since 1JUNE. My DC commute couldn't be better...:photog
    Liberator likes this.
  17. lcon2

lcon2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, Anybody have issues with heat from the Multistrada?
  18. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a Multistrada and sold my Gs a year later. Had no issues with the GS and none with the Ducati until this June. Have been having a series of warning lights flashing for the DSS & DWC, and the CEL (check engine light) come on. The dealer was able to download the error codes but can offer no cause or solution. This has me seriously considering the situation and perhaps looking for another ride. I have loved the Duc because it has a high risk/reward factor, it can scream and make your eyes water and your sphincter suck the seat cover up your fanny. Thought about the 18 KTM Super Adventure S, but just found out that KTM does NOT cover the electronics package with any warranty, pretty crappy.
    So here I sit with a bike I really like but am losing faith in it’s reliability. The only good thing is I carry towing insurance after having my wife’s BMW breakdown in Border, NV. Live and learn.
  19. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Issues? No.

It's a race-bred twin. A big one, at that. It's going to produce heat, period.

If it's really uncomfortable, I highly suggest you find a way to remove the catalytic converter. It's a huge source of heat. Ducati also tunes the bike rather lean from the factory.
  20. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even in triple digit heat as long as I’m moving above 40mph no problem. Stop and go traffic in heat, well it gets HOT.