GS vs KTM 1190

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Livo1190, Oct 3, 2016.

1. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM dealer network .. is ... non existant where I am at. Something for buyers to consider and take into account.
  2. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have clocked about 70,000 miles on Beemers; an 1100GS, K1600GTL, and now a 1200GSA.

I clocked 20,000 miles on a KTM Super Enduro. The 20,000 miles on the KTM were much more exciting.

The BMW is like dating a girl you meet a church. She is reliable, has dinner ready for you, you don't need to worry when she goes out with her friends, won't embarrass you in social situations, and you're happy to let her meet your parents.

The KTM is like dating a stripper. She drinks too much, flirts with your friends, likes to get dirty, and she may leave you stranded somewhere if she is feeling moody.

As soon as my wife gets better at riding her own bike, I will be selling my GSA and picking up another KTM.
    rlsjodin, IBJim, Mav and 3 others like this.
  3. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher Carpe Diem

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with you! As I said, I miss KTM properties, especially power, agility etc. But... I lost my patience fighting with the KTM people
    Enyoy the KTM!

PS: girls from church can be interesting too :-)
    RiikMi likes this.
  4. Livo1190

Livo1190 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update on the KTM heat issue ,the Dealer has now had the bike a week and tested it in various conditions and cannot find a problem, which is strange because on the way home the bike was running much cooler ( ok ambient air temp was 6 c ) but something has changed ( have KTM got a fix for the problem and can't release it because of the global cost implications ,so they just fix the ones that the owners shout about ? ) ,that said , KTM are offering me a super trade in on the New 1290S ( arrives UK in Jan 17) , so that kind of put a spanner in the idea of changing to a BM !
    However on the way home ,I had booked a test ride on a GS TE ( my first ever ride on a BMW) , they gave me a 6 month old Triple Black to play with !
    Wow what a bike ,easy to ride very comfortable and reasonably quick, I was really impressed with the difference in braking compared to the KTM (the lack of front end dive) ,the only thing I struggled with was the digital speed read out ,which was a bit small for my liking and not easy to read, but that's nit picking I guess.
    So the dilemma is , do I buy the BMW this week (and not really ride it until Feb next year - crap roads/lots of salt etc.,.) or wait until the KTM 1290S comes out and test ride them back to back and then decide, then at least which ever I choose with be registered in 2017 rather than 2016 .
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks
    Livo.
  5. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    the GS 2017 will not be the same as the one you tested, some différences in electronic engine managmt etc.
    I would wait next year, to compare the 2 at that moment.
    Unique question : delay to get the bike as you signe the order next year.
    SelfPropelledDevo likes this.
  6. RiikMi

RiikMi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This autumn i changed my 1190 advR to a new r1200 gsw. I have been riding with Ktm:s over 10 years and this is my 1 st Beemer. That Ktm:s seat heat problem didn´t bother me almost at all , maybe bechause here in Finland we dont have so warm weathers so often ,maybe a couple weeks in the summer time we might have close 30 degrees above zero , not every summer :D . I miss Ktm:s +25 hp but Beemer has better torgue from low rpm:s. Reason why i changed from Ktm to Bmw was a little problems too often , well it was easy when my Ktm was under warranty time but end of this summer warranty came to the end and those little problems still keep existing , that pissed me off. Over 21000 euros bike should run better. Other thing was that airfilter box. It´s weird that after 3 years they can´t built a decent and reliable airfilter box so expensive bike like Ktm 1190 advR shame on you guys in Mattighofen, Austria. I hope that my 1st beemer works fine . 1600 km:s i had a change drive with my new bike , now we have a winter time and we are waiting a snow and i don´t drive in winter time, we have 3 snowmobiles in our family so we have a good time with 1x Ski-doo and 2x Lynx snowmobiles.
  7. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    I had 93,000 miles on my 04 GSA when I sold it. Looked at the new waterboxer and BMW shank the dang things. I'm 6'8" and had Rox Riser and Wunderlich drop foot peg kit on my GSA. I ended up with a KTM 1290 SA. Every bike out there, no mater who made it has its own idiosyncrasies, you just need to farkle your bike to fit your needs. My 1290 is longer and more open than the new waterboxers. I have Rox Risers and BDCW lower pegs on it. It works for me. I haven't notice the extreme heat that the 1190 guys have talked about. Does it generate more heat than a GSA? Yes, because the cylinders are right under the seat compaired to the BMW cylinders out and down low, but the only time I notice any heat is in slow traffic in the Texas summer heat. I currently have 13,000 miles on the KTM in the 11 months that I've owned it. Here in Texas, I can normally ride 11 months out of the year, but this year has had some weird weather patterns. Monday morning was light rain and 29f, today is blue skies and 80f. If your not a really tall guy, I think either the BMW or the KTM will fit the bill.
    rlsjodin and GoodOleBoy like this.
  8. Guba

Guba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a 1190, and now I have a 2016 GSA. I will take the GSA hands down. I have a friend that I ride with who has a 2014 1190, He hit a rock on the road and bent his front wheel back in July. He is still waiting on a answer from KTM as to when a front wheel will be available. KTM does not do a very good job of supporting customers
  9. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    2 of our group switched from GS (R100 GS and R1100GS respectively) both bought KTM 950 Adventures. I realize that these are much older versions. One guy is very happy, the other has reliability issues and is frustrated. But they both like the handling. Also the "happy" guy is an excellent mechanic. The unhappy guy is looking to switch back to a non LC GS.

I love the big GS for 95 + % of everything I ride. If we are heading out on a particularly gnarly multi-day trip I may instead ride my 2012 F800 in case we run into really bad roads.

But to answer the OP question I don't have any negative things to say about my LC GSA except the weight. I have had mostly excellent service from all the BMW Motorrad dealers I have seen with minor exceptions. I understand that the final drive can be an issue on high mileage bikes but that is all I know.
    bigdave-gs likes this.
  10. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    I've had nothing but great service from both brands. When I had my BMW, I took it to BMW of Austin and now I take my KTM to Cycle Town South. When BMW of Austin was still in business they did excellent work. It all depends on the dealers. There are good and bad with every brand.
    SidewinderX likes this.
  11. Trevster

Trevster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new 1290 will make the GS seem like an asthmatic barge by comparison. I haven't encountered any heat issues on my 1290 so I would be confident you will be staying on the orange side.
  12. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates

Oddometer:
    On a related note, I think Asthmatic Barge will be playing Coachella next year...
  13. Livo1190

Livo1190 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the lack of heat on the current 1290 SA , my local KTM Dealer puts part of this down to a bigger tank which gives it different air flow etc.,
    The Dealer also thinks that the New 1290S uses the same tank and frontal panels as the outgoing 1190S , but if I look at the launch photos ,I think the aerodynamics are a bit different , maybe I need to see one in the flesh ( so to speak) to make the comparison.
    Dealer hopes to get a demo in late December or early Jan , so not long to wait.
    Cheers
    Livo.
  14. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    It is the twisties both bikes excel not the racetrack, so the actual additional power does not make any difference. I prefer low end torque and hope BMW will not make a GSA any stronger. I own an HP4 for fast riding and a GSA for touring, offroad, traveling and everyday rides.
    I was considering the 1290SA before buying a GSA and sent an email to KTM (it was published on their website for making a reservation of a tour) as I wanted to visit the factory tour as they were advertising on their website. They never answered my email, I resent several times and then I thought to myself: "if this is how they treat their customers I don't want their bike."
    SidewinderX and Pch123 like this.
  15. AustinRT

AustinRT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big Dave, I know you know this but for anyone else reading your post, BMW of Austin is still doing business and great service . Lonestar BMW was bought and incorporated into Woods Powersports. some of the staff moved over.

Larry
  16. SelfPropelledDevo

SelfPropelledDevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like time is on your side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Trevster

Oddometer:
    I think the wrap on the rear cylinder makes the biggest difference.
  18. Trevster

Oddometer:
    Trust me that when you're wanting to make a safe and swift overtake you will appreciate the extra oomph. Anyone who has ridden the 1290 engine will testify that it is positively nuclear by comparison to the GS engine. After buying my SA I sold my S1000RR - no longer required.
  19. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    Right ! Lonestar BMW was where I took my 04 BMW. Down there on Lamar Blvd. I have been in Woods Powersport several years ago when I was looking for a WR450 and they acted as if I was wasting their time. I haven't cast my shadow on their doors since. Bought the 450 in Dallas. I live west of Waco, so it doesn't really matter to me whether I drive 110 miles south to Austin or 125 miles north to Dallas. I will go where the dealer treats their customers or potential customers with respect. I worked in the service field for years and we always had a banner on our meeting room wall. It said " It takes years to get new customers and seconds to lose them " ! ! ! That has stuck in my head for years now.
  20. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    For regular overtaking the GS and many other smaller bikes with 100HP are strong enough.
    Check this video we did with my friends when he got a new KTM. He had additional power and had no chance going any faster than a GSA.
    It is OK you enjoy your 1290, I wanted to buy one as well and am happy I did not with all the warranty problems the owners in my country are facing. It may be different in your country, but here the BMW wins the after sales customer support. I have just received a new Navi V today in just ten days after filling a warranty claim. No questions asked, no problems,..