1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

GSA Luggage Lock Set Question

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dagwood_55, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I've bought a new GSA, 390 miles away and have not picked it up yet. The bike is ready, but the luggage (side & topcase) will not be in until tomorrow. I would like to PU the bike on Friday (easier to get off work then), but the dealer says it will take a couple of days for the lock smith to get all the factory lock sets keyed the same as the ignition key, so then the bike won't be ready till next week, and then it will be harder for me to get off work.

From what I understand from earlier post, keying the locksets alike is not big deal, right??? Can't I do that myself?? And tell the dealer to skip the locksmith and I'll do it myself and PU the bike when its most convient for me????
  2. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue; I rekeyed them with the written help of my dealer.

I'll look for the piece of paper when I get home (if I can find it, no promises :D ).

I think I read a post somewhere where JVB explained and photo'd the procedure. Long story short; it's easy, DIY.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would NOT let your dealer do your locks if he doesn't know enough to do it himself. It is so easy a kid could do it. Do NOT install the locks with the new bags until you have a chance to rekey them to your ignition key.

See this procedure:

[​IMG]
    Here is the tumbler with the original key. Not that all the tumbler blades are flush without pushing on them.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the new/ignition key. Notice how many of the tumbler plates are not flush. Also notice how some are? Mark the ones that are flush. You do not want to remove them.
    [​IMG]
    You may not need the following couple of steps if your tumbler doesn't have a chrome cap plate or rod. In that case be careful not to let the tumbler lock plates fall out.

I found the hardest part was removing the chrome cap that is on the top of the tumbler. It is very sturdy stainless steel, and will resist removal.
    Place a bladed punch or screwdriver in the dimpled edge and tap firmly with a hammer. You will have to do this repeatedly until the dimples are nearly smooth.

Then take a punch to the edge while holding the tumbler at an angle and tap it firmly to remove it. It takes a bit of patience, but isn’t really hard.
    Beware that under the stainless cap are two small blocks for keeping out rain and dirt, and two very small springs. Do not lose them, they are hard to replace, and necessary.
    [​IMG]
    Once the cap is off you will find a locking rod made of brass. This rod keeps the tumbler plates in place.
    [​IMG]
    Note the rod held in place.

[​IMG]
    Pull it out with a pair of small pliers. It is not in firmly, but the grease in the tumbler will keep it from just falling out.

Once the rod is out the tumbler plates can be easily remove by simply pulling them out. Be a bit gentle as not to disturb the small springs. Only pull the non-marked ones. Use the pulled ones to rearrange them and find the combination that gives you the most number of flush plates with the ignition key in place.
    [​IMG]
    Here is what I ended up with using only rearranged plates. I had four good slots, and two I could not use. That is fine. Four of them should be easily sufficient to discourage the casual thief.
    [​IMG]
    When you get them maximum number of plates in place, you are ready to reassemble the lock tumbler.

Put the rod back in place. It just slips in.

Then install the rain guards carefully. Beveled side up, and towards the center aligned with the key slot.
    [​IMG]
    Install the springs. These go in easily, but will pop out of the tumbler is roughly handled.

Once you get the springs in, place the stainless steel cap in place and lined up with the key slot, tap the cap in place with a firm tap of a light hammer or other tool.
    [​IMG]
    Place the lock on its side and remove the little springs from the unused plate slots.
    [​IMG]
    Using a punch, or small screwdriver, tap the dimples back into the cap to hold it in place.

Note: The cap may not be really snug, and that is fine.

Test the key one more time for smooth action, and to ensure the tumbler plates are still flush.
    [​IMG]

Test the locking mechanism for functionality, and make sure it will allow you to lock and unlock the hold-down mechanism that latches the case to the bike.

Jim :brow
  4. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like one of those things that once you've done it, it's real easy...

I may just wait and let the lock smith handle it.
  5. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Gosh, Jim. I just wish you were a bit better at explaining things... :lol3

You rock man :thumb
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, it is pretty easy. Try it yourself. If you get stuck, take them to a locksmith yourself and it will take them only a couple minutes.

7. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Did mine in about 10 minutes , first time was much easier than I though it would be.
    Give it a try
    Plus you can ride that sucker sooner, and thats a good thing.
  8. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Just a NOTE:

If your bike is a GS Adventure - and you have the metal cases.

You will need to be able to lock the cases in order to ride with them on the bike.

The locks need to be locked for the cam mechanism to close, and secure the luggage to the bike.

No locked locks = no ride with luggage.
    Comprendez?

Q~
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    True, in theory, but at least one poster used zip ties to hold the locks for the ride home, so they say. I have not examined the GS Adv locks, so I could be way off base here.

10. 761

761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude,
    Do it yourself. My SALESMAN did it for me on his desk. The next one I did at home by myself. Without the AWESOME directions that were posted here. I admit it is intimidating, but imagine the sense of accomplishment you will get when it's done!
    Zip tie thoes cases closed, but don't let the dealer keep that puppy for another week!
  11. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    The boxes slide into the angled plates of the BMW rack and then the cam on the latch/clasp is used to tighten the boxes tightly into and under the plates by grasping and caming on the rack frame..if you can't cam it tight, you can't hold it to the rack..only a latch with a lock will cam tight...

I was faced with the same issue...and I felt that I could not be confident in any method short of an installed and LOCKED [otherwise they can pop open] latched to hold the boxes on the frame while I was riding it...just too damn risky..

Hell, I even had 30 meters of Duct Tape at the ready!