GSA vs Multi Enduro

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by papaB, Oct 5, 2017.

1. papaB

papaB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Looking for some input/advice.
    I have been riding the GSA for the last 6 years (air and water cooled). That bike is flawless, the WC version is sportier and I appreciated that a lot. Zero complaints overall....but want to experience a different bike at this point. I am tall at 6,5 and the options are limited.
    My thoughts are on the Multi Enduro and on the KTM SA.

Has anyone made the switch from the GSA to the Enduro? What did you think?

I am hoping for a more spirited ride. But don't want to sacrifice all the great things that the GSA offers (reliability, ergonomics, comfort etc).

Going to the dealer for a test ride on Saturday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. guitarplyr

guitarplyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I switched from a 2016 GSA to a 16 Multi Enduro Touring in July and have zero regrets. Ive put about 3000miles on it and have done some gravel/fire roads. For me it is sportier, still fun in the dirt, and the sound/way it makes power is intoxicating (though I am a Ducati fan anyway other bike is a Panigale that mostly sees track use these days). Im planning some longer trips so I can't comment too much on long distance but have done some 300mi days and 700mile weekends with no issues.
  3. CRFPILOT39

CRFPILOT39 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a 2016 Multi Enduro and a.m. also 6’5”. Although I’ve never owned a GSA, I just completed a 1000 mile trip through the Colorado back country with a group of friends, one of which was riding the latest 1200 GSA machine. Here are my thoughts after riding both bikes on and off road:

Ducati is definitely better looking and cooler electronics., better sounding and a lot more exciting to ride. It had zero issues climbing up anything and everything I was brave enough to attempt. I had no real mechanical issues.

That said, I was very impressed with the GSA. It’s butter smooth, pulls for a long time and is super durable. I watched this guy drop it (often) with zero signs of damage. But what I really like is that It has TONS of Accesories available , which doesn’t sound important until you need more protection or want to change ergonomics to accommodate your height or increase suspension spring rates etc.

At the end of the day you probably can’t go wrong with either but I’d really like to see a greater amount of aftermarket parts available for the Duc!
  4. Superadv

Superadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While never owning a GSA, i did own the ktm 1290 SA. I test rode the gsa several times believing i should want one, but when compared to the ride quality and excitement of that L-twin, i always came back with a hellya, i have to get the Duc. Yeah, the gsa has a few thousand more accessories available, but it all depends on what you want. As for reliability, the ktm had a few recalls at the very outset, bmw's have had theirs too, but i have just had the rear shock on the duc, but no other issues whatsoever.

You need to test ride them all and come to your own decision, but ride the duc last, because im sure that you will come away owning it....
  5. papaB

papaB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot guys. This is very helpful.

The lack of aftermarket support is quite a worry actually. I played quite a bit with the ergonomics of the beemer - lowered pegs, higher screen, handlebars risers...makes a world of difference in long rides.
    Mind says keep the German beast, let's see what the heart says tomorrow!

Attached Files:

6. CRFPILOT39

CRFPILOT39 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the bike but being tall I have the same issue but it works...just limited. Let us know what you decide.
  7. Superadv

Oddometer:
    So after 2 people reply you have made up your mind to stick with the bmw! Seems like you werent too serious about considering others... oh well, your loss...
  8. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Is that what you think he said ?

This is what I heard:
    Based on my experiences - I bought a new 2010 GSA (Camhead), owned it for 6 years and 93,000 miles, and was very happy with the experience. I had to replace the shocks at 64,000 miles (went with Wilbers) and the clutch at 92,000 miles. Oh, and the city light bulb at 75,000 miles. :lol3 Did everything I asked, and did it well, but it did lack some excitement.
    I debated on both the MTS Enduro and the MTS S Touring, and finally decided on the S Touring since I have the Husaberg for my off-road riding. It hasn't been as trouble free as the BMW, but the excitement I wanted is definitely there. :nod
    nostatic and Endorphin like this.
  9. Endorphin

Endorphin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's funny how people can decide to hear the complete opposite of what was said, if it lets them be upset. ;p
  10. Superadv

Oddometer:
    Geez, ur right. Guess i shoulda read it with my bifocals. My apologies to the papab.

While this wasnt the case, i do get defensive when people just talk about the bloody bmws. As a former owner of a few bikes i can tell you from experiemce that bmws are boring, in most instances, especially those boxer engines, and dont try telling me they are more reliable than other bikes...

Btw, my next bike is a BMW K1600 or perhaps the new Wing. Quite the dichotomy, isnt it.

My 2c's.

11. Superadv

Oddometer:
    I deserve that. You let me off easy...
    Endorphin and Florida Lime like this.
  12. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    It may be that you don't need to tweak the Multi as much. I own both a GSw and Multi (not the Enduro). I had to go with a custom seat on the GSw and change the stock screen out. Thankfully easy to do as there are tons of GS aftermarket farkles to be had. With the Multi, the only thing I did (other than P3 lights in the back, which I do with every bike I own long term) was full Termi exhaust and upmap. Even with less legroom (I'm 6'1") for some reason it isn't uncomfortable. I think the Enduro is taller, I bet I'd fit that even better. Hmm... :D

They are two very different bikes. I get the feeling that the GSw is more "solid", but it also is more "agricultural" (the tranny still sucks). The Multi is more involving and will cultivate your inner hooligan while still being all-day comfortable. If you like to stay around 3-4K rpm all the time, the GSw is the way to go. If you like dropping down into 2nd and 3rd gear in the twisties, the Multi.

Both great bikes. Dealer maintenance costs are roughly a wash - Multi is more expensive but has longer intervals. Go with your head, or go with your heart...
    BobcatSig likes this.
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did all my periodic maintenance on the GSA myself, as it's pretty basic. I do much of the work on the Ducati, but not the valves/belts. In my case I knew the Ducati was going to cost more, but it's been worth it so far.
  14. nostatic

Oddometer:
    Just got back from another 200+ miles in the hills 2-up on the Multi. Just passed 2500 miles on it and feels like the engine is smoothing out and opening up. Had a similar phenomenon with my MV 800 triple (that took about 3-4K miles to break in). Love the freakin' multi. Riding on the freeway set in touring (I use the high engine map in all modes), get to the base of the mountain and switch to sport (to tighten up the suspension), then up on top back into touring to ease into our lunch stop.

I suspect the GSw will be up for sale come spring. Yeah, it is better in the dirt, but we don't end up on much dirt. And as competent as the GSw is, the Multi, by comparison, makes the BMW feel like a retiree's bike. No offense to retirees as I aspire to that in 10 or so years. But I'm not there yet :D
  15. Ryan72

Ryan72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished 2700 mile ride on my MTSE. It was flawless operationally. I did realize I probably need a better seat, so I’m looking into the Corbin. I test road the GSA. While I liked it, the MTSE was definitely more sporty and responsive. I’m tall as well, so no issues with the seat height. The GSA didn’t seem to fit my tall frame as well.
  16. papaB

papaB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the information and the experiences guys. All very helpful.

So I went over to the Ducati dealer yesterday. Besides offering the bike for the test ride, the dealer experience was not great. Didn't know much about the bike (he said that the suspension is not electronically adjustable for the Enduro.....and other gems like that). Thankful for the community here where you learn a couple of things!

To the test ride.
    Had the sales guy leading the way for a 10-mile ride. So boring.
    But I got to open it up in second and the thing pulls hard! What a motor. Much more violent than the boxer! I wish I could explore it a bit more on the test ride...
    Seating position was surprisingly good. I liked it. Somehow felt I was seating closer to the front wheel compared to the GS.
    The bike is beautiful. Maybe too beautiful to abuse it in the dirt...?
    I really liked the bike guys.

I was a bit shocked when we talked numbers. He offered 7K for the gs. I was expecting something around 10K at least. Put everything together (bike, crash bars and lights, panniers, termi) and price comes to 25+.
    Unfortunately, not ready to pull the trigger for 20K + trade in at this point.
    Will try to make it to the other dealership next weekend. Maybe they are more serious.

P.s. Why is the silver/grey +2000 compared to the red?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Superadv

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of 2016 Enduros going for very cheap prices, around <= $18k, as dealers are trying to move old stock. As far as trade-in at the dealer, forget it if you think youre going to get a good deal. Whatever you are expecting to get from a dealer, knock 20% or more off of it. Youd have much better luck selling it on cycletrader.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. I know its not an easy decision.
  18. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the red is $200 cheaper than the other colors. (I think they must get a discount on the red paint - it's the same way for most of their models. :lol3)

Was that extra zero a typo, or was the one you saw different in some other way ? :dunno
  19. nostatic

Oddometer:
    Per the ducatiusa website, red is indeed $200 less than the other colors.

One should be able to find very good deals on leftover Enduros, particularly at this time of the year and moving forward. But it is a zero-sum game with trade-in. If you grind them on price for the new bike, they're going to grind you on price for the trade. If you're not hurting too bad for cash, the best way to do it is assume your bike is worth half what you think it is. That way when you go to trade it in, you'll be pleasantly surprised at their offer :D
    BobcatSig likes this.
  20. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a loaded mtsE and wants to talk trade for a GSAw let me know. Lol. I love my GSAw quite a bit...its the standard which others measure themselves by for a reason. But i cried when the mtsE was announced 3 weeks after i traded my '14mtsGT for the GSAw......