GTA Riders MegaThread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GB, Jan 18, 2005.

1. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    Are you still on a beemer? I have to bring mine in for a service 32ks and I am wondering where is good in the area?
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Main Jet Motorsports is a fantastic dealer in Nelson, BC.
    Couldn't get a better fly 'n ride location. :beer

From Saturday's coffee fetching chore...

[​IMG]
    Vikingtazz and EmmEff like this.
  3. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good deal on the F800GS! I really enjoyed mine. I'm giving Honda a try this time...
  4. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    An 07 RT, along with the AT.
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    For service around here? I work on my own, get a buddy in the county to do the heavy stuff, like changing my clutch last year. Too old to be bent over like that anymore.

You can try Unique, heard they do solid work. No clue if they know that F8 though.
  6. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0539.JPG Finally got out for a ride up the old rail bed and down a few back roads. Thought I might spend a little quality time on the XR250L as it’s time to finally get the oil leak problem we have resealed and do a good strip down rebuild.
    Can’t believe that thirty years and almost 40K and this bike still loves to dig and fly. Maybe have to order some parts and put the rebuild off till the end of season
    Northern_Rider777, EmmEff and Lornce like this.
  7. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey 1litre, I had an XR250L. Great bike but mine was a little reluctant to start sometimes. Randomly. Sometimes first kick, once in awhile, 20. Installed a bigger pilot jet, carefully adjusted the valves, etc. … same result. I now have a '95 DR250 which is very similar to the XR, but... it has the button :nod
    1litre likes this.
  8. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    I have a service light on.. So hopefully nothing big, but I figure it's beyond my pay grade....
  9. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    IMG_0518.JPG I actually have a 250 R and a 250 L.
    The L has always been a great starter.
    The R and I are just working out a starting routine that's had some challenges. I just finished a strip down and rebuild following a five year stretch that it would not start. It seems pretty good now but I haven't felt as at ease I as I am with the L.
    The CRF's with the buttons are quite the treat now that I'm getting up there in age
  10. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Nice collection.

I like the starting method of the CRF better but I feel like the XR and XRL are better motorcycles. They just have a better, more solid feel, the fasteners are higher quality and they're simpler being carb'd and air-cooled. Don't sell them!
    1litre likes this.
  11. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    I’m a bit of a hoarder so selling is not an option. The Rally is an unbelievably great bike but I’m so glad I kept the XR’s even while under great pressure from the Minister of Finance (my wife)to sell them. There is just a raw low end torque that the Rally lacks. The XR’s are bold and solid and confidence inspiring. Not to mention on the XR’s there is not a lot that a drop will do other than claim the occasional clutch lever. The bars have been bent and straightened more times than I can recall and the foot pegs look like they’ve been chewed up and spit out a few times. The marks on the clutch cover are testaments to drops walked (or limped) away from with a story to tell. I often tell people my XR makes me feel like my eight year old self dressed up like a cowboy riding my CCM mustang around the neighbourhood.
    Lornce and rockt like this.
  12. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, speaking of singles, has anyone had any experience with the Royal Enfield Himalayan? I've checked out the thread on it here and the owners all seem to love it, but there's been a few minor issues. Things like oil leaks and minor electrical problems that you don't generally see on Japanese bikes. Otherwise it seems like the perfect bike for the type of riding I like to do most and I'd love to get a local owner's perspective... or even a friend of a local owner :D
  13. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    I know a guy who still campaigns old XR's in Hare Scrambles, especially in the spring when things are sloppy. Says he can make better time than he can with his modern bike. And he rides the wheels off whatever he's riding.
    1litre likes this.
  14. MiltonHog

MiltonHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there room in that photo for my Road Glide ?
  15. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Come on out!

:beer
    RobbieO and MiltonHog like this.
  16. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Sure.... the guy moves out west and becomes a pirate!
    radmeister and Vikingtazz like this.
  17. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    There's still a copy of "War and Peace" in the saddle bag, Robbie. :lol3

Today's mount. You've gotta stay flexible.

[​IMG]
  18. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    There is a guy on YouTube going by Dusty Biker. He just put up a video fo going from Orangeville to Creemore. Anyone know how to contact him. If he’s local I’d like to see about going for a ride. I do some of the route he was on all the time.