Guanacaste, Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sandiegoland, Oct 7, 2005.

1. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    Howdy there, I post as SanDiegoLand on the V-Strom forums, but thought my Costa Rica pics would be more appropriate here as I use a Honda NX4 Falcon for work down there. I survey for and inspect installations of telecommunications equipment and actually took up riding recently (8 months and 14,000 miles ago) to get better access to the mountain and jungle areas. Here's a few pics from recent days:

Pura Vida
    [​IMG]

The Falcon in action (the other vehicles are parked and the occupants used the footbridge)
    [​IMG]

Loving the twisties with my Cortech soft tailbag (under raincover and bungee net) and Wolfman tank panniers. Very few folks do ATGATT in Costa Rica, it's too hot, but I drink a lot of water and I don't mind the stink that comes from my own sweat (as long as I keep moving!) :evil
    [​IMG]

Some tourists were feeding this critter as we drove by, a no-no!!:ban
    [​IMG]

Sometimes the roads are clear, sometimes they are too much for our combo tires. This guy spotted me trying to scout a way through a construction zone (some very high end housing development) and waved me over. He scraped off a path that had washed out in the recent rains and off we continued. It's just that easy (almost never!!) :D
    [​IMG]

...and off we go to work! See the towers in the distance?
    [​IMG]
  2. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    nice...pura vida indeed.....more por favor
  3. 1reddawg

1reddawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want your job SDL..
  4. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    It's funny, I tell my business partners down all the time that there are people who would pay to ride around and climb stuff!:rofl

You got it...

Moto advantage... you can get to the front of long traffic hold-ups and be the first through when the machetes break a whole in the fallen trees!
    [​IMG]

My boss sends a private message to a rider who went down hard the week before. Such compassion!
    [​IMG]

The NX4 is geared more for street. I'm no candidate to attempt this climb in her 1st gear... we'll walk the last 100 meters! (and still almost fall on my @ss)
    [​IMG]

This particular crossing was narrow and quick with a bit of sandbar obstacle at the far edge. By the looks of the tracks, we weren't the first to waddle bikes over this foot bridge.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the jungle baby!! A view from 50 feet up a microwave tower.
    [​IMG]

Monkeys can do a pretty good job of hiding in the shadows just enough to elude the average camera. I got this guy crossing a power line over the road.
    [​IMG]

There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this... you see...
    [​IMG]
  5. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Muy Bueno, Ticos!
    Thinking about how Don Pepe and his Guanacaste men marched for the revolucion many years ago.
    Driler.....one time resident of Tortugero.
  6. RichBomb

RichBomb Curse of the Lono

Oddometer:
    Did you make it anywhere near Samara or Nicoya? Love the pictures.
  7. Firestorm

Firestorm .

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. SLUGGO

SLUGGO A Lone Drifter

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming, I want more! :lurk
  9. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    We'll probably do the whole Guanacaste coast sometime between January and April. Rivers dumping into the ocean are a bit swollen now to run the bikes all the way up the beaches. Three from our group did that coast about six months ago and raved about it.
  10. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We also have a cool ride behind video showing us holding our lines between potholes and such, but I've first got to figure out how to reduce it from 24MB when I get back next week... You can check out my website for a trip we did two weeks ago towards Panama. :gyro
  11. RichBomb

RichBomb Curse of the Lono

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can see your point about the swollen rivers, we managed to get two Suzuki XL-7s and a couple Gallopers stuck in them. I highly reccomend spending a night on the beaches near Coyote or Osteonal. On a clear night you will see more stars then you'd ever though possible.
  12. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Here's a little 2-wheel truck getting pulled that last few feet out (previous week's trip). Often times people get stuck at the exit where it gets steep and muddy. The bottom of the river where the current is tends to stay a bit rockier?
    [​IMG]
  13. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    River crossings in our rented 4x4 jeep were always a bit of a panty swister.... We took several backroads around the Arenal area just exploring and found some neat stuff.

The Tabacon hotel manager suggested we bring a chain or rope to try and pull trees out of the way while on the north shore of Laguna Arenal. Thankfully we listened to him. Mud slides are also bad there... and i know the worlds worst road for a motorcyclist is on the far western side of Laguna Arenal. We were having trouble keeping the truck on the road!

Last summer I went to Tortuguero, very nice Dualsport road to Cano Blanco. The last mile or so is nothing but large rocks, softball to volleyball sized. Glad the van had a snorkel, because we had water coming in the doors that last few hundred feet going through that field. I did get to see my only caiman during that lil water puddle.

Where all are you travelling around SDL? I have a mental map of Costa Rica, i dont know all the small pass through towns, but the larger ones that show up on most maps I do. Especially north of the valley.
  14. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    They call these "poor man's umbrellas" it was raining at the time I wanted to take a pic under one, and the van driver didnt know how to use the camera... fun stuff
  15. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    That's my one of my wife's favorite pics... that and the birds. :krusty
  16. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Essentially 90% of our travels are between San Jose and Liberia, with as many iterations of routes as possible. So via Arenal, Puntarenas, or anywhere else within 50Km of the western coast. In our spare time we might try anything else within a days reach of San Jose though. We want to do Lake Nicaragua in a few months when we get our documents in order. We'll take three days for that loop.
  17. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    Pics pics pics! Try and find this when you are there and looking from the ground.[​IMG]
    This is some good shit, as some people like to say. Bought at road side dinner. Plantain banana beans and rice, bread and scambled eggs with 'bacon.'[​IMG]
    OK here is a place for you to go if you havent been there already, go at about this time too(4-6pm). Best view I have ever seen.[​IMG]
    To get here... go passed the Tabacon Resort and Hotsprings, and travel, I think it was about 3 or 4 miles. You will PASS a police outpost that is opposite of a road that goes to a ranch. As soon as you get to the lake, before you cross the damn, you will see a decent sized dirt patch on your left and you will see a track going up to the top of the hill. Follow this and it makes a loop to another road. Left will take you back to the highway. Right, you will cross a river and there will be a T in the road. Left is to the Arenal Observatory lodge, right follows the south side of the lake. Not sure how far the roads go. We turned around at the little town about 5 miles in. Back to the highway take a right and it will go back to La Fortuna.
  18. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    That's a nice set up they have at Tabacon...did you make it over the other side of Arenal to Monte Verde? I think the zip lines through the jungle were the highlight of our trip.
  19. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thats why we went around arenal, and went the back way west to east to Monteverde. Thats a long hard ride... id rather it on a bike than car. I have done zip lines in ROTC... didnt really care to do that again, but we did suspension bridge place... forgot the name of it... wind blowing at 100 mph and raining gatos y perros.... that was my dads favorite place. My mom got sick from thanksgiving dinner (chicken and mushrooms) and was puking all night.
  20. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :lol3

We did it the other way, boat trip across the lake, 4 hours on horseback up to Monteverde, then jeep back to Tabacon.

I think the suspension bridges are at the same place, IIRC they have the highest and longest zip lines in the world...or they did...man, it's the only way to travel.