Guatemala Section

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by adventureplanet, Aug 11, 2009.

1. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh well.

But I still think they should build more and hide them better. Water-filled trenches would be nice. Or a combination of the two.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    That's no exaggeration.
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bad, I read it to mean the highways through town
    I liked Your country so much I don't care what they do to the roads I just want to get back down there.
  4. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

:thumbup :ricky
  5. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Great news Julio

Having seen first hand the carnage induced from an accident where a left front ball joint had popped and sent the car awol into another I think it is not before time.

So many cars rattle in their suspension joints audibly, yes in part to pot holes too but removal of these sharp arsed things will be a god send.:clap
  6. garrydymond

garrydymond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good news. We'll be there in April so hopefully some will be gone by then.
  7. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Looking forward to see you here in April :freaky
  8. nailit2em

nailit2em Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife is very happy about this!!!!:rofl:rofl:rofl
  9. marior97

marior97 marior97

Oddometer:
  10. TRIPPEEE

TRIPPEEE ugh

Oddometer:
    It looks like the wife and I are going to be in Guatemala for 10 days March 27 to April 5. We are renting a car from the airport. (No riding for me. :cry)

Right now I'm thinking a couple days each in Antigua, Coban area, Tikal and Lake Atitlan. Anything else I should see in my short stay? I'm planning to download some maps to my phone to use as a GPS. Any recomendations on an acurate source? Preferably cheap to free? :D Also recommendations on a good paper map?

Also happy to buy anyone a beer while I'm there if you would like to hook up somewhere! Not quite sure in which order we'll be seeing sites, but always happy to meet some ADVriders if our paths cross.

Cheers!
  11. 175grams

175grams Old Town Outfitters, Antigua, Guatemala

Oddometer:
    The bookshop on the Western side of Parque Central in Antigua sells great paper maps of Guatemala. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

When you get to Antigua, you should definitely stop in MotoTours on 6a Calle in front of the landmark Tanque de la Union. Jose and David (a.k.a. Frenchy) are great guys and you can enjoy a cold one there while you talk bikes. Tell them Chris sent you, actually I'll be there the week before you visiting. You should try to get out on at least a half-day ride if you can spare the time, worth it!

MotoTours:

[​IMG]

You listed great places to visit but I think you'll find 10 days will go quicker than you think and maybe not see them all. One of the hidden gems in the country and probably my favorite is Las Conchas. Its not as far north as Tikal and has amazing waterfalls, caves, natural beauty. You can spend the spend a day or two there with Felipe (http://www.naturetoursguatemala.com/), his family is great! Tell him Moto Chris sent you, he's a good guy. I lived there for 3 years so if you have more questions, let me know. I'm sure some others will chime in here as well.

Las Conchas:

[​IMG]
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Market Day in Chichicastenango.
  13. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. TRIPPEEE

TRIPPEEE ugh

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys! A lot of cool looking places, and off the beaten track. I know 10 days isn't much, but it's all I could swing. Visiting the damn kids and grandkids is eating up all my vacation time. :D<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Our only real plan is to head to Antigua the first night, and figure our next move from there. We like to go with the flow and usually the best plan for us is no plan. My clearest vision for this trip is to be swinging in a hammock or floating on a tube with a beer in my hand, surrounded by some cool nature. :1drink To that end, I think Semuc Champey and (now!) Las Conchas are at the top of the list. I might try to talk Momma out of seeing Tikal. We've both seen ruins in Mexico and although Tikal looks bad ass, I think it will eat up ~3 days, a lot of it in the car.<o:p></o:p>
    We are definitely stopping at the Motocafe. I want to get some local perspective on our travels and maybe if the wife sees my puppy dog eyes, she'll let me go for a ride. She rides a Street Triple at home, but has no desire to ride while we are there. Another thing we were wanting to do in Antigua is climb Picaya. I don't think that is in the cards right now, but maybe it will simmer down by the time we get there.<o:p></o:p>
    A few questions we have are - Are there plenty of pay phones in all the towns or should we pick up a cheap phone to use to make reservations, etc.? Will our front wheel drive econo car make it to Semuc Champey? Is Atitlan ok to swim in? If the wife comes face to face with a Guatemala Brown Trout while swimming she's not gonna be happy.<o:p></o:p>
    Any other tips or ideas are welcome. Keep them coming!<o:p></o:p>
    Chris and Julio - I'd love to buy you guys a beer while I'm in Antigua (or anywhere). :freaky We are planning on hitting the Motocafe while there or happy to hook up anywhere convenient. It was you guys' and other posts and RRs here on ADV that convinced me to spend my 50th birthday in Guatemala!<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again and cheers! :beer<o:p></o:p>
  15. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    The best day ever.
  16. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

If you want to keep your wife happy , Tikal can be done in one day out of Antigua : Catch the early morning flight out of GC and the late afternoon flight out of Santa Elena back to GC.
    Payphone : Their are some ; a cheap phone will cost you US$20 , incl. a few hours airtime
    Lake Atitlan is great for swimming
    Your front wheel drive car will make it to Semuc Champey
    Pacaya tours leave Antigua at 1pm and they are back in town around 8pm
  17. TRIPPEEE

TRIPPEEE ugh

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm... Hey Honey, why don't you fly up and see Tikal while I go for a ride.... :evil
  18. 175grams

175grams Old Town Outfitters, Antigua, Guatemala

Oddometer:
    Glad you're going, you'll enjoy. I'm living back in GA at the moment to finish my Master's. But I can't stay away, I'll be back in Antigua in a couple weeks for a visit. I just sent a list of recommended bars/restaurants to another friend visiting Antigua, might as well share here too. This is by no means an exhaustive list, there are tons of great choices in Antigua.

Cafe No Se - great dive bar popular with locals and travelers
    Porque No is one of my favorites for a beer/snack and great people (Carlos and Carolina are the owners and amazing people)
    Sabe Rico - upscale dinner place that is really good food, pricey but fair
    Travel Menu - my go to for visitors' first meal, super affordable, big portions, quality food
    Pitaya - best natural homemade smoothies in Antigua, lots of healthy food options
    Ocelot - British bar, a little upscale
    Mono Loco - is your like being in most American sports bars, avoid it unless you really need to catch a sports game

As I mentioned, so many more the list could go on and on.
  19. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. TRIPPEEE

TRIPPEEE ugh

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic! We're getting so psyched to get there.

One other thing I was wondering... looking through ride reports I see it's expensive to get parts or whatever mailed down there (most counties it looks like). I looked for a thread for something like "I'm flying to Guatemala, can I schlep a brake rotor down for you?" Do you guys know of a thread like that or of any travelers in the area in distress? I'm happy to help out.